Is walking enough?

Options
I am doing really well with calorie counting so far. I really like to walk and have been going as much as I can with the kids. We manage about 1-3 miles when we go. Tonight I ditched the kids and made it 4 miles! I am so proud. My mom has suggested we do it together and I think that we may be able to get more in since time flies when we are chatting away. So my question is, is walking enough? I need to lose 21 more pounds and as I said as far as the calories go I generally have some left over at the end of the day. I do eat my exercise calories though.

Am I doing ok? Do I need to do more?
Any advice?

TIA :)

Replies

• lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have to walk a lot too now due to an injury...kinda stiks because I feel like I'm not getting a good workout.
    Anyways...ever try work out DVD's at home or exercise on demand? You could do that while watching the kids!
  • Michaela722
    Options
    Calories burned are calories burned. It may take you longer to burn them, but they'll still be gone. I say good job!
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    Cardio is great, but for sustained weight loss you should be adding some strength training in as well. It will help you to build muscle that will continue to burn calories. You could just do body weight exercises like push ups and squats and lunges or you could add weights as well. I would shoot for 2 - 3 times a week.
  • JensLogin
    Options
    I think walking is great! You can even step it up a bit and add hand weights or ankle weights to make it a little more of a challenge and burn even more calories. I agree with the other poster about adding in some strength training. You can buy a video and a few hand weights and add this into your routine 3 days a week. The lean muscle will go a long way to help speed up your metabolism! Plus, you can do this at home when you are with your kids!

Keep it up - you are moving and burning calories!
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Walking is fine, only the calories count. A mile walking is not many less calories than a mile jogging, it just takes more time. If you want the physics/math reason why I can explain it. Anything you can do on hills or an inclined treadmill increases the value greatly. Walking at a 15% incline burns over 3 times more calories than walking on flat ground.

I do between 7500 and 10,000 calories of exercise a week and at least a third of it is walking. I have lost 60 lbs since March 23rd doing this. my wife, who is much smaller and does a bit less each week has lost 35 + in the same period of time.

Eat less! Move more!

You will also hear all of the muscle heads talk about weight training, but in reality it takes much more work to gain a pound of muscle than lose a pound of fat through cardio. Use cardio to get the weight down, then build up for sustainability. You can do both at the same time if you have the time or want to combine exercises . . . cardio with weights, etc.
  • jaxterbom
    Options
    I do a lot of walking, and it helps to burn calories. I do not think that walking gives a great
    cardio workout. It's a lot better than doing nothing, but not enough to really whip you into shape.
    Recently, I added bicycling to my routine. It fills this gap, it's fun, and people who ride bikes a lot
    tend to be skinny.
  • degausser234
    degausser234 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I would suggest that when you go for your walks to try jogging or sprinting short distances so that you change things up a bit and increase your heart rate :)
    Best of luck!
  • WarmDontBurn
    WarmDontBurn Posts: 1,253 Member
    Options
    Thanks all :) I did actually jog in spurts during my walk but since I am not in the best of shape I didn't get too far. Some is better then nothing right? I also have the Wii and usually will do EA Sports active when I can't get outside. I LOVE it but since it has been so nice I want to take advantage while I can. Before I know it the snow will be here and walking won't be as doable. Will adding ankle weights be considered "body weight exercises". I know with EA Sports they have boxing and exercises with the resistance bands would that be ok too?
  • lee112780
    lee112780 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    resistance bands are good!
  • alphaip
    alphaip Posts: 86
    Options
    I've noticed if i work up a sweat, but can still talk - that's a good pace. If I go on a stroll - I don't seem to lose as much.
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I am doing really well with calorie counting so far. I really like to walk and have been going as much as I can with the kids. We manage about 1-3 miles when we go. Tonight I ditched the kids and made it 4 miles! I am so proud. My mom has suggested we do it together and I think that we may be able to get more in since time flies when we are chatting away. So my question is, is walking enough? I need to lose 21 more pounds and as I said as far as the calories go I generally have some left over at the end of the day. I do eat my exercise calories though.

Am I doing ok? Do I need to do more?
    Any advice?

TIA :)

Walking is excellent exercise, it is natural and not stressful on the joints and muscles.

Regarding is walking enough, it uses up the calories and anything that uses the calories has to be great in weight loss programmes doesn't it.

Eating your exercise calories, some people eat them, some eat some of them, some people don't eat them - be very careful though. Do not overestimate the calories burned and do not underestimate the calories in your food and drink each day, otherwise you may not lose your weight and then think nothing is working.

:flowerforyou:
  • bloblynda
    bloblynda Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Walking is good - it is also a weight bearing exercise which, if you're a woman of a certain age (Like me :cry: )
    , helps to build up bone mass density which can help to ward of the dreaded osteoporosis
  • BOGmama2010
    BOGmama2010 Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    You will also hear all of the muscle heads talk about weight training, but in reality it takes much more work to gain a pound of muscle than lose a pound of fat through cardio. Use cardio to get the weight down, then build up for sustainability. You can do both at the same time if you have the time or want to combine exercises . . . cardio with weights, etc.

You know, I just want to respond to this, because straight cardio is not the answer. You don't have to go and lift a lot of weight. You can do 12-15 reps of lifting to get a nice lean look. A pound of muscle (while yes, it takes a while to build) burns almost 8 times as many calories as a pound of fat. I've done my weight loss both ways. Losing it just by watching what I ate doing calorie reduction and walking, and it all came back and then some when I stopped. This time, I am doing the cardio and strength training and being able to eat a little more. I look much better than I did the first time around (I have muscle!) and the confidence from being able to do things related to strength is amazing.

I guess I was just offended at your so-called jab at "muscle heads". There's no need for name calling here.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    Bogmama,
    In kickerz case you are probably right. She is very near a normal body weight and I do agree with you that the muscle helps, but concentrating on muscle building when you have 100 lbs to lose is going about it the wrong way. You simply cannot build enough muscle to burn 350,000 calories worth fat without doing significant cardio work. Also, cardio work does build signigicant muscle, in the largest muscles in your body, for those who are severely over weight. I think it is far better to do cardio down until you are a normal body fat percentage (31% ish for women which is about the line for overwight BMI on the calaculator here) then beginning heavier lifting, than to risk the injury of heavier lifting with a body that is not used to any sort of exercise and has a weak base and core.

In your own case you followed my way, with a slight detour in which you gained weight back. You did the walking and lost weight and strengthened your leg and core muscles in the process, then committed to more weights and got results.
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options
    You know, I just want to respond to this, because straight cardio is not the answer. You don't have to go and lift a lot of weight. You can do 12-15 reps of lifting to get a nice lean look. A pound of muscle (while yes, it takes a while to build) burns almost 8 times as many calories as a pound of fat.

Muscle burns ~6-8 calories per pound per day and fat burns ~2 calories per pound per day, so only 3-4 times as much. Also even if it were 8 times, it is effectively irrelevant in practice. A typical person gains 3-5 lbs of muscle in 6 months to a year if they dedicate themselves to it after they hit maintenance weight. That would add up to maybe 40 calories a day; less than a 10 minute walk so it is not an effective strategy to burn extra calories per day other than the calories you burn exercising to maintain that muscle. Fantastic for fitness and strength but poor for weight management.
  • mworld
    mworld Posts: 270
    Options
    You know, I just want to respond to this, because straight cardio is not the answer. You don't have to go and lift a lot of weight. You can do 12-15 reps of lifting to get a nice lean look. A pound of muscle (while yes, it takes a while to build) burns almost 8 times as many calories as a pound of fat.

Muscle burns ~6-8 calories per pound per day and fat burns ~2 calories per pound per day, so only 3-4 times as much. Also even if it were 8 times, it is effectively irrelevant in practice. A typical person gains 3-5 lbs of muscle in 6 months to a year if they dedicate themselves to it after they hit maintenance weight. That would add up to maybe 40 calories a day; less than a 10 minute walk so it is not an effective strategy to burn extra calories per day other than the calories you burn exercising to maintain that muscle. Fantastic for fitness and strength but poor for weight management.

Actually it is a great strategy for weight management, although not because of the calories that the muscles allow you to burn. When you are much stronger, the perceived effort of all your activities goes way down, even though the amount of calories you burn doesn't. So burning calories becomes a lot easier and maintaining your weight does too.
  • blh_1010
    blh_1010 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Try Leslie Sansone! She is amazing...it is walk at home (for when you can't get outside and walk. It is about 10 min per 1 mile on my DVD (or less). She adds in some lunging so it should help build some strength in your legs. I walk at least three miles with her every other day (if not more..LOVE HER!) :) Keep up the great work! :)
  • oats4breakfast
    Options
    Exercise is exercise, whether it's cardio or strength training, both will increase heart rate, get blood flowing and burn calories. Both will burn calories at a different rate too. Cardio is good for you cardiovascular health and strength training is good for your bones and muscles. It's not about fat and muscles doing different things and (heaven forbid) one weighing more than the other ??

One thing that could help you on your walks, is to get a Heart Rate Monitor. Some of them, you can set up to alarm you are above or under specific range of heartbeats. When you go over, slow down, when you are under, speed up.
    This can help you keep your intensity up and get the most out of your walks. So, even though walking with your mother may pass the time because you're chatting away, you could be doing yourself a disservice by dawdling or not necessarily getting the most out of it.
    There's supposedly different "heart rate zones" that will burn more fat or increase endurance, to that I say whatever. Because they are all going to do you good. Burning 20% fat cals of more total calories is the same amount as burning 40% fat cals of less total cals. It's like asking if you'd want 20% of $5000 or 40% of $2500. Which one ?
    What you'd do is setup your device and the target a "zone" or heartbeat range. It's all based off of your own maximum heartbeat, but lets' just say it works out that your 50-60% range is between 110-130. Then, when you're out for your walk, you will do everything you can to stay within that range to maximize your exercise. Say you walk 6 times a week. Then you'd do this 3/6 times. 2/6 times you may try to get your HR into a higher 60-70% 130-150 zone to really exercise yourself and increase endurance, and the other 1 time, you'd do between 40-50% 90-110 for a "rest" of sorts. It just helps to keep your walking on track, and to ensure you do different levels of intensity to mix it up".

I can never remember the ranges etc that are best, there's plenty of charts and things around. The trick is to keep your 'workout' at certain intensities, and, to prevent overtraining or becoming to used to a certain intensity, change them up.
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I walk everyday at lunch. I eat lunch first then I walk for a half hour.
    I also do some strength training in between. Any exercise you do
    will burn off calories. Good Luck
    Shirley61
  • canstey
    canstey Posts: 118
    Options

Actually it is a great strategy for weight management, although not because of the calories that the muscles allow you to burn. When you are much stronger, the perceived effort of all your activities goes way down, even though the amount of calories you burn doesn't. So burning calories becomes a lot easier and maintaining your weight does too.

But that is not what the poster said. She said that simply gaining muscle in and of itself was a good weight management strategy because of the extra calories it burns simply by existing. That is a poor strategy for weight management. Your suggestion of getting fit and it is regardless of gaining muscle is an excellent way to manage weight if you continue to exercise.