How do you prep for a Tough Mudder, or similar events?

Options
So I've been losing weight at a good pace, but I'm not getting in shape. I think the Tough Mudder type of events really emphasize the all around fitness I'm looking for. Do any veterans of these kinds of events have advice for getting into sufficient shape to handle the obstacles + running? All advice is appreciated.

Replies

• kittytrix
    kittytrix Posts: 557 Member
    Options
    I do about three mud runs a year with the most difficult being the San Bernardino Sheriff's Mud Run. Just did that one today.

I would say definitely run outdoors, trails if you can.

In the gym do some plyometrics like jump squats, jumping scissor lunges, etc.

Build up upper body strength because sometimes you have to pull yourself over obstacles. Today there were three steep hill rope climbs and near the end, when you're tired, we were in a watery mud pit where we had to pull yourself over pips and then duck under others.

I like to jump rope to help with the cardio, too.

Cross training, HIIT training and just getting out there and changing up the routine always helps!

This is what I do to prepare. Hope it helps!
  • aaronagostini
    aaronagostini Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Thanks! There are some trails nearby, I'll have to look into those.
  • strum261
    strum261 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    One of our trainers at my gym recently did one and he also said pull ups, because you need alot of upper body strength. Good luck on your training.
  • dutchk
    dutchk Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    I've just ran in my first mud run, a relatively easy 5K one. Two things I learned. First, even though I had been running for a while (jogging is probably a more appropriate word), I wasn't in any real shape for it. The second thing I learned is that I absolutely loved it and will be doing more. I've got three on the radar here in PA later this year.

You can google or youtube "mud run workouts" and find a whole bunch of routines. Pretty much everything I've taken from them is that you have to focus on functional training (groups of muscles) as opposed to single muscle training (like biceps curls). You will be pulling yourself over obstacles so upper body strength is very important. The single best exercise for those groups of obstacles/muscles is pull-ups. Also explosion type training is extremely useful because you will be doing a lot of jumping and otherwise propelling yourself. Burpees/lunges and various squats should be looked at here.

Try it, you'll like it!! Also, if you would like, send me a FR. We'll compare notes.
    Dutch
  • GrendlStig
    GrendlStig Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to try one! Even tried to get the hubby to join, because there was a promise of BEER at the end, but no go. Maybe this year! Just gotta find a buddy.
  • aaronagostini
    aaronagostini Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Honestly, these are the only kind of events that sound fun. There are people at my work who do them, and they train pretty hard, so it's not something I'm looking to do next week or anything. But I do think they might be a good way to get me motivated to train.

Dutch, I sent you a FR, and I'd love to talk more about training approaches. It really does seem like the explosive training stuff would pay off big for mud races.

SC, it seems like having teams for these things is a BIG deal. Do you and your husband train together right now? I'd really like something for me and my wife to get into together, but I don't think that would be mud events. Our current partner events like Going to Target with are VERY active 20 month old are super challenging on their own!
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for a Tough Mudder in October.

I've started a similar app to C25K outside three times week. Also in the gym 3 times a week and do a mixture of cardio and weights. I also work out with a PT once a week who goes through the Official Tough Mudder training with me. If you have a look on their website you can download a free training plan.
  • Pinkranger626
    Pinkranger626 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I've done a number of different ones, I have my seconed Tough Mudder in 9 days!! My first suggestion would be to try a 5k one before you go for something like the Tough Mudder if you're not a runner.

Give yourself at least 3 months to train for it if you are just starting out. Running and endurance exercises (kickboxing, rowing machine, Spinning/biking) should be on your roster for at least 3 days a week and strength training at LEAST 2 days a week. Make sure you're strengthening all the major muscle groups and try to stear clear of the weight machines since they isolate one muscle at a time. Free weight exercises like weighted squats work the main muscles as well as all the stabilizer muscles which you'll need for the race.

Good luck!! They're a blast!
  • Pinkranger626
    Options
    OH! and upper body strength was one of the most helpful things that I could have done since there's lots of walls and things to climb over. PULL-UPS!!
  • RoseTears143
    RoseTears143 Posts: 1,121 Member
    Options
    I'm training for a Tough Mudder to do in October..among a few other obstacle course runs that are shorter in length. But from everyone I've talked to about them, and even looking up training info for the runs - almost everyone agrees with running outdoors and doing HIIT training and plyometric style training to get ready. I'm finishing up Insanity now (week 7), doing Les Mills Combat next, and not sure what after that yet. Probably Insanity Asylum :). I also started a running program I found on Runkeeper app to work up to running a half marathon which will help me with running further. I should be able to complete that by September if I follow the schedule. I'm pretty sure the Tough Mudder is 10-12 miles of FUN!
  • Kittenopolis
    Kittenopolis Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    The ToughMudder website offers training guides depending on your current fitness level. :)

http://toughmudder.com/training-prep/

Best of luck to you! I'm doing my first Warrior Dash in November this year & gearing up for Savage Race, Tough Mudder, & Spartan Race after that. Can't wait!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    it depends on the race and the group of people you are doing it with.

a tough mudder is 12-14 miles, and there is no way around that. you have to have a good amount of endurance. but again, each tough mudder is different. the one i did in new jersey was very very flat, and i was able to run the whole thing. i mean, of course i stopped at the water stations or at a few obstacles to help people out, but ran most of the time. my race in nevada was on a hilly ranch in the middle of the freaking desert. i ran all until mile 4. then it was a lot of walking. the trail was sandy and rocky, and i couldn't get good strides or speed. took a long time to complete.

but for tough mudder you don't compete for time. there is no timing chip. it's a challenge, not a race. and they say you can't complete these races by yourself, which is true. you need friends to climb over a lot of the obstacles.

but to prepare for them, you need to have a good balance of cardio and strength and of agility. there is no dead lifting at these races. there is running, carrying, jumping, sliding, crawling, smiling, laughing, and drinking. remember to enjoy the race.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Capt_Apollo/view/achievement-unlocked-tough-mudder-436730

DSCN0116.jpg

Two Rugged Maniacs
    Two Tough Mudders
    One Spartan
    Two Triathlons
    One Five Miler
    One 5k
  • RobynLB83
    RobynLB83 Posts: 626 Member
    Options
    These aren't very difficult because you go at your own pace, and a lot of people simply walk them. You do NOT need people to pull you over obstacles if you have basic climbing ability and you aren't super heavy. Be able to run about 3 miles, hike all day, and pull yourself over walls. If you are training from scratch, start running three days per week, and work your way up to about 5 miles. Once you get there, do a longer run on the weekend or a trail run mixed with hiking. Get up to about 10 miles. Do strength 2 days per week with an emphasis on body lifting exercises: pushups, pull ups, squats, etc. This will get you in basic all around shape. Anyone who is in basic all around shape can pretty much show up as is. Also, I believe they have a training schedule suggested on their website.
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I'm running a Tough Mudder in October. I've been doing CrossFit 3-4 times a week to train and I need to add in some road running as we get closer. So far, so good.

My friend isn't into CrossFit and she is using the training materials on the Tough Mudder website and timing herself to keep the intensity up. Works for her!
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options
    These aren't very difficult because you go at your own pace, and a lot of people simply walk them. You do NOT need people to pull you over obstacles if you have basic climbing ability and you aren't super heavy. Be able to run about 3 miles, hike all day, and pull yourself over walls. If you are training from scratch, start running three days per week, and work your way up to about 5 miles. Once you get there, do a longer run on the weekend or a trail run mixed with hiking. Get up to about 10 miles. Do strength 2 days per week with an emphasis on body lifting exercises: pushups, pull ups, squats, etc. This will get you in basic all around shape. Anyone who is in basic all around shape can pretty much show up as is. Also, I believe they have a training schedule suggested on their website.

speaking from any experience?
  • RobynLB83
    Options

speaking from any experience?

Yes. I signed my boyfriend and myself up the day before, and we went without training for it, but I'm a boxer and an endurance runner, and I weigh under 130. So easy for me might not be easy for everyone. But I saw people of all fitness levels there, and most of them were walking. It was at a ski resort. Hell, I walked half of it. I would have tried to run the whole course, but my boyfriend wore his stupid vibrams and came down with his heel on a rock pretty hard in the first mile. Tip: don't wear barefoot style shoes. You will not see the rocks under all the dust that gets kicked up.
  • Pinkranger626
    Options
    I'd have to disagree with not needing help over the Berlin walls in the Tough Mudder as they're 12-15 feet high and have no footholds.
  • RobynLB83
    Options
    I'd have to disagree with not needing help over the Berlin walls in the Tough Mudder as they're 12-15 feet high and have no footholds.

Forgot to mention: I'm a rock climber too. With a 1/4" ledge (i.e. the boards are not 100% perfectly flush), I can find a hold and climb a wall. The holds on those were more like 1" if you took the time to find them.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Options

Forgot to mention: I'm a rock climber too. With a 1/4" ledge (i.e. the boards are not 100% perfectly flush), I can find a hold and climb a wall. The holds on those were more like 1" if you took the time to find them.

Hey folks, we're talking to mother freaking Batman over here.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I've always wanted to try one! Even tried to get the hubby to join, because there was a promise of BEER at the end, but no go. Maybe this year! Just gotta find a buddy.

Find a male buddy. I bet your husband will get interested very quickly :)