What's going on?

Options
Hi I don't normally post but what the heck I need help so why not. I've been on this journey for the past 11 months and the first couple of months I dropped 20 lb easily then for some time I kept slipping and overeating and then trying again so I basically maintained. In April this year I though this was it and since then have exercised and ate within my calories. I really want to lose my belly fat but it doesn't seem to budge. I have 1,200 calories a day but normally eat more by eating my exercise calories which can be from 200-500. I generally just exercise at home on the stationary bike. I need some advice to what I'm doing wrong. I'm quite slim everywhere but my stomach is still sticking out massively its the only thing holding me back from reaching my goal, I don't really care what the number is at the end as long as my body looks right to me and so far it isn't, I still wear my old baggy clothing because any tighter clothes will look horrible with my belly. My pant sizes have changed and constantly have to wear a belt but not the mid section. I was thinking of doing one of those Jillian workouts but I'd find it awkward with my family around in the house. What I generally eat is oatmeal, peanut butter, beans, chocolate, pasta, noodles, fruit. I love vegetables and normally have them cooked but can't eat them raw because I have braces at the moment so I have to be careful. Really appreciate if anyone can help : )

Replies

• nikilis
    nikilis Posts: 2,305 Member
    Options
    hi, we need more info. age, sex, height, weight etc.

a lot of people will say 1200cals is too low, and theres an 85% chance they are right.

portion size is important. if you are not weighing things and getting your portions right that may be messing things up. do you know what a 15g serving of peanut butter looks like?

if you have hit a plateau, intermittent fasting may be worth a try, thats what I'm doing, 16/8.

not knowing your start weight, current weight etc makes it difficult, but it does take time to loose weight. the only way is by eating a calorie deficit.
  • SoLiveItUp
    SoLiveItUp Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I'm 19, female, 5'1, 115lbs at the moment, I have a small frame, My highest was 140lbs

hope that helps
  • SoLiveItUp
    Options
    I have a kitchen scale so I'm measuring everything out constantly
  • Just_Scott
    Just_Scott Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Yes--need more information. But, as a start, you need to mix up cardio and some weightlifting--shock the body to get shocking results.
  • nikilis
    Options
    I'm 19, female, 5'1, 115lbs at the moment, I have a small frame, My highest was 140lbs

hope that helps

your BMI is 22, so you are at a healthy weight. you might need to tone to tighten up the area. do you have a pic? :)
  • SoLiveItUp
    Options
    In the past I've eaten more than 1,200 but I've maintained so I thought this must be where I lose. Since april I've lost 4lb but i don't think its my stomach. Also I've tried taking pictures so see changes but not much luck
  • SoLiveItUp
    Options
    I've just changed my profile picture it shows how my belly is currently
  • jen_zz
    jen_zz Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have "wheat belly"? not sure if you have read the book or you could just google or youtube it. maybe that would help.
  • kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    If you have access to a gym I would start a strength training routine with the free weights. Then at home, I would probably just do body weight exercises when I wake up in the morning, squats, planks, pushups, lunges, crunches, etc. If you like to run, I guess I would do that a few times a week. It looks like you just need to lose more fat, but on your small frame I think you'll have better luck maintaining the figure you want if you have a bit more muscle.
  • nikilis
    Options
    I've just changed my profile picture it shows how my belly is currently

you have a small frame :P

It sounds like you just need to keep working, you are loosing but its slowed, you could:

up your exercise and eat back only 2/3

a lot of people would recommend a weight lifting regime

I would recommend intermittent fasting in which you eat all your calories in an eating window for example 8 hours, so 12pm-8pm and then fast 16 hours to 12pm again. I've found it useful to help regaining self control over junk foods, and a lot of people find it increases the speed weight loss.

in any case, I don't think you can drop your calories lower than they are, so you will have to adjust other variables.
  • nikilis
    Options
    Maybe you have "wheat belly"? not sure if you have read the book or you could just google or youtube it. maybe that would help.

"Recommendations to eliminate wheat in conjunction with the other advice in this book reveal the Wheat Belly diet to be a low-carbohydrate diet. While it is true that such diets have been shown to cause more rapid weight loss than other diets in the initial six months following such a regimen, they do not result in greater weight loss over time and result in more dropouts than other diet types that are more balanced and do not eliminate entire food groups.”

yah. ok.
  • SoLiveItUp
    Options
    Thanks guys for your advice yeah I think I'll make some changes to my eating and also try the fasting : )