Vegetarians what do you use in place of soy?

Options
tcac
tcac Posts: 211 Member
Hi I am a vegetarian and have been doing reading on the dangers of soy. I eat tofu and other soy products, but am considering stopping. My concern is what is there to replace it with. I like meatless hot dogs and veggie burgers. I also eat general tso/ tofu once a week. I am attempting to eat healthy. My grandchildren are also vegetarians, and we do not want to feed them something harmfu.
thanks
linda

Replies

• dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    get oragnics soy products...honestly organic is the best way to go for everything, otherwise you are replacing one bad chemical infused food with another
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    lentils quinoa beans of an sort
  • irishpagan
    Options
    Soy isn't bad for you. Its actually rather healthy. Large unnecessary amounts of it are unhealthy. There's no need to cut it out of your diet altogether provided you consume a moderate amount of organic soy (2/3 of all soy in the US has been genetically engineered and saturated with pesticides, so much that the FDA raised the pesticide residue allowance).

As far as replacing it, I vary rarely eat tofu anyway. I rotate between soymilk, ricemilk and almond milk (although I've heard coconut milk is yummy too). For meat substitues, look for Quorn products. They're gluten and soy free, and taste so much like real chicken that when I made a chickn salad people though I had started eating meat again. They have 'meat'balls, chickn nuggets, chickn fillets, chickn strips.... Vegweb.com has lots of great recipes. Black bean burgers are another of my favs. Happy harvesting!

Good luck!
  • mc142607
    Options
    I have a soy sensitivity, so instead of soy milk, i use unsweetened almond milk. It has less calories, less fat, less sugar...the list goes on.
  • DancingDreamer
    Options
    quorn is good but there is a small portion of the population that are DEATHLY allergic to it and there is no test to see if you are or not (and yes by deathly i mean you eat it and you die, quorn is a fungus that grows naturally on the inside of semi-full beer vats, feeding off the bacteria that lives there, personally that just sounds icky in general to me). i would honestly be more scared of quorn than Soy. but everything else IrishPagan said is spot on!
  • SouthernBell86
    SouthernBell86 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I am not vegetarian, but my aunt is vegan, and she often uses beans and other vegetables instead of soy. The main thing for her is that she has gotten past thinking in terms of replacing meat products with something else and just tries to make sure she gets protein through other means.
  • tcac
    Options
    thanks for your comments. I do use Quorn and Amy's. When I read the studies done on soy, I know I need to get it out of my life. I try to eat GMO free, but it is hard to find enough variety. We like Morningstar, but they are not FMO free. I also use Ykes, and they are not free either.
    linda
  • DwightJenkins
    DwightJenkins Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Wow... just when you think you've heard it all, now tofu is bad for you.... guess you'll have to use faux-fu instead.. :)

Sorry, couldn't help it...
  • tcac
    Options
    I was surprised too when I was given an article on soy. It has become such a money maker here in the USA that the bad reports are buried. Just look up dangers of soy and you will be surprised.
    linda