When the clock strikes 12

Options
In general I have a pretty healthy diet with lots of fruits and vegs etc. However in trying to lose weight I have set a calorie restriction goal at 1500-1600 but Its as if the clock strikes 12 am and I have a whole bank of calories waiting to be spent and spend it I do! Anyone else suffers from this problem?

Replies

• beattie1
    beattie1 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean - do you get up and raid the fridge at night? Do you work night shift?
  • MayaSPapaya
    MayaSPapaya Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    Why don't you look at the clock when it strikes 9, 10, or 11, and eat the calories then?
  • 1234suroor
    1234suroor Posts: 41
    Options
    Yeah I guess I have just gotten into the routine of nighttime eating and just having trouble breaking this habit
  • melindasuefritz
    melindasuefritz Posts: 3,509 Member
    Options
    i stop eating at 9 pm for the night
  • SoberAlley
    SoberAlley Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I do not. I run a "day" from 12am to 12am (I set increments of time for my "meals"). I try not to eat between 12-8am (I fail frequently), but if 11:59 comes and I have a ton of calories leftover and I eat, I count it for the next day. I typically dislike waking up to a huge deficit so that is natural deterrent for me to avoid eating so late at night.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you mean - do you get up and raid the fridge at night? Do you work night shift?

I don't understand either.

Do you mean you eat at night and don't like it? Or do you binge at midnight because you don't want to waste calories?

I see nothing wrong with eating at night. Body can't tell time, so it doesn't matter when you eat. I have most of my food in the evening and save for a snack at 9.30ish. If I do have plenty of calories leftover, I will have something like a dessert or muffin to fill them in.
  • 1234suroor
    1234suroor Posts: 41
    Options
    I realize how vague my post was... sorry! Its just a psychological thing really and I was wondering if others related to me. I guess I did not elaborate because its quite embarassing! Basically what I meant was that yes I within my calorie range through out the day but by the time early morning rolls around 12,1,2,3,or sometimes 4, I sometimes wake up hungry or not hungry (usually with hunger pangs) thinking I'll have a little snack. That night time snack usually ends up being my breakfast because then I think I will not have time to make breakfast before I run out the door (I have a pretty busy lifestyle).

The obvious answer would be to pre-prepare all meals and snacks (even the night time one) but what I am alluding to here is he psychology of this behaviour. Thinking that I will not have time to eat during the day and ending up super hungry (which is usually the case with my busy lifestyle) so going overboard on eating at night to feel satiated during the day. This in theory should be fine as long as I stay within the calorie range of breakfast but doesnt usually happen because at that moment the last thing the mind wants to do is count calories because its prioritizing sleep!

I doubt any of you can relate to this crazy behaviour because of so many of you have great willpower- but if anyone does, just wondering how you broke that habit. Specifically how did you change your psychology of this eating behaviour.