What about cycling?:) Running is hurting :(

Options
So i dont want to totally give up on running..but its hurting my shins...i have good shoes.....what if i run a couple days a week,and alternate cycling? Does cycling really help tone your legs/butt that much? And burn a good amount of calories? I have a goal set for the end of July..and want to reach it ;) Im wanting to of course shed fat everywhere...but also tone up my legs and butt!lol...what girl doesnt want that?!?

Replies

• kevinsherrell
    Options
    Cycling is awesome! Great workout that you can do longer than running without alot of pain.(ie burn more calories) Cycling also tends to be a group activity, so you end up meeting friends who keep you motivated. If you integrate some good hill climbs into your rides you will definitly tone your legs, core and butt :)
  • Sactown900
    Sactown900 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    GREAT calorie burner. I cycled to work for years after two left knee surgeries. It's NO impact. I can't jog (or do Bbl Squats anymore), but 30-60 minutes on my road bike is a killer aerobic workout.
  • AlexPaige
    AlexPaige Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    What's great about cycling is that it burns calories no matter how fast you're going (but you should also know how to use your different speeds on the bike). If I run, I can do 2 miles max, but just yesterday I did a 10 mile speed workout on my bike (first ride of the summer after an inactive winter don't judge me) and burned more calories that way than if I had tried to push myself more running. I find when I really push the cycling and do it 3-4 times a week minimum, my legs are lean and strong. Hope this helped : )
  • Crochetluvr
    Crochetluvr Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Cycling has been great for my legs! I don't run because I don't want knee problems. I see no reason why you can't alternate between the two.
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Cycling is good. I bought a stationary recumbent bike, and it actually has improved my crunching knee. Running isn't the only way to burn calories. For those of us that need something with less impact on the joints, there are plenty of other ways to stay active. Swimming is another option.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    That is a great idea! I used to do both, now I only run but hope to get back to cycling and running soon!
  • Happymom83
    Happymom83 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    awesome peeps! thanx so much:) now i have to go find a bike:) I think this will work better for me
  • hezzie92
    hezzie92 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes, cycling is great - I burn just as much calories, and it actually has improved my running. Cycling (more specifically spin classes) has become my favorite exercise. I do like to get out on the open road though too.

Your comment about the shoes though - you say you have good shoes, but were you actually fitted for them at a reputable running store? When I first started running, I had really good running shoes too, but was getting horrible shin splints. I bought them at a sporting goods store after a lot of online research so I thought I was good. I ended up going to a real running store, where they watch you run, and fit you for the right shoe for your stride, and foot type, and found that I was wearing the wrong type of shoe. They told me that yes, I had a really good shoe, just the wrong shoe for me. Once I was fitted with the right shoe, no more shin issues.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I freaking love cycling.
  • red0801
    red0801 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    When I first started running I used to get awful shin splints & hip pain.

@ the advice of a friend I started looking @ running form. Specifically moving from a heel strike to a midfoot strike.

Here are a couple links:

http://www.goodformrunning.com/

http://naturalrunningcenter.com/2011/05/29/newton-runningtransitioning-to-natural-running-form-and-shoes/