Not new to MFP, but very new to PREDIABTES...

Options
36jessica
36jessica Posts: 319 Member
Any prediabetics out there? I've just discovered I have it along with an iron deficiency. I now have to start 'thinking' food on a totally different level. Up till now, I counted calories in and out trying to be as well rounded in my eating as possible. My doctor has told me to cut out ALL carbs like bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, etc and he also included ALL carbs coming from 100% natural wheats and grains. I'm really confused and was just wondering if anyone with the same problem has any advice. Thanks!

Replies

• lintino
    lintino Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    I'm prediabetic also and my doctor just told me to lose weight. I'm going to be retested next month after six months of losing. It might be a good idea for you to see a nutritionist. My mother was a Type I diabetic for 70 years and totally was into carb counting. She was in great health until she hurt her back and could no longer walk and move around easily.
  • nvstlrgrl
    nvstlrgrl Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    There is a type 2 diabetic group. Many prediabetics in there as well. Check out some of the posts and comments. Lots of good info there. I have been a diabetic for 23 years. Feel free to add me. Wish you the best on getting things back to normal levels.
  • msderes
    msderes Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I was told by my doctor I am pre diabetic as well. I went to see a nutritionist and she really helps me . Was told the same thing , cut out all refined sugar and carbs. She put me on a diet with 100 gr of carbs a day . ( which is really nothing if you are a carb addict like me). Best advice, find a good nutritionist who will work with you, monitor your progress and has you come back for monthly counseling sessions. good luck
  • TheNewLorrain
    TheNewLorrain Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I have also been recently diagnosed with prediabetes with an A1C of 6.0 I wasn't told I couldn't have carbs if you follow MFP properly your carbs should be counted right for you. I have tried to curb my carb intake adjust how often I have said products Please feel free to add me for a support buddy would be happy to help you along the way as I in return need support as well. No one is alone in this regardless of the path we are all on. We all want to get to the same goal but we take varied walkways to get there
  • kerrieward77
    kerrieward77 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I am prediabetic too. Feel free too add me, and we can all support each other on our goal to being healthier.
  • 36jessica
    36jessica Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Thank you all!