Weight loss slowed

Options
Hi, I have been dieting for about 4 weeks now, I eat approx 1200 calories a day depending if I get in some exercising in. I do a lot of power yoga, walking and general day to day physical work (lifting, walking, up & down stairs) and I lost 10 lb so far but for the past week or two, I have been weighing in about the same, I lost like .6 lbs . I read its like a plateau but I dont know how to fix it? Should I add additional exercises or maybe my diet? My diet contains mostly fruits and veggies, water, some proteins (chicken, tuna), nuts, very little dairy.. (oh and I cant get rid of my coffee, love it too much but I did reduce the calories to switching to light, non-fat, no sugar coffee drinks).

Anyways, any thoughts, ideas, or did this happen to you?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    First off, two weeks with a small loss is not a plateau. A plateau last several months with no change. Secondly, you didn't really indicate if you eat back your exercise calories back. You kind of implied that you eat more when you exercise, but I don't know if you eat more than 1200 on those days or if you eat less than 1200 on days you don't work out. Either way, you're likely not eating enough calories. With only about 20-25 lbs left to lose, I'd change your settings to lose half a pound a week and eat back at least half of your exercise calories. Then, give it time (longer than two weeks).
  • Hra391
    Hra391 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    It could also be due to muscle gain. Muscle weighs more than fat, and with all the exercising you are doing, it is bound to be slow on the scales. Just don't be discouraged, because you are doing your body good! :) Like the person said before, you need to eat back your calories too. Hope this helps in some way. x
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    . Muscle weighs more than fat,
    no it doesn't 1 pound of fat weighs the same as 1 pound of muscle which weighs the same as 1 pound of feathers.
  • ericaspence10
    Options
    First off, two weeks with a small loss is not a plateau. A plateau last several months with no change. Secondly, you didn't really indicate if you eat back your exercise calories back. You kind of implied that you eat more when you exercise, but I don't know if you eat more than 1200 on those days or if you eat less than 1200 on days you don't work out. Either way, you're likely not eating enough calories. With only about 20-25 lbs left to lose, I'd change your settings to lose half a pound a week and eat back at least half of your exercise calories. Then, give it time (longer than two weeks).

Oh ok. Yes, I eat back on average, half the extra calories from burning. And typically less then 1200 on days I don't get extra exercise in. What are healthy foods that I can add that will help increase my calorie intake? I feel like a eat a lot already. (smaller in calorie but more times in the day I would eat)
  • Hra391
    Hra391 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    . Muscle weighs more than fat,
    no it doesn't 1 pound of fat weighs the same as 1 pound of muscle which weighs the same as 1 pound of feathers.

Okay, I didn't explain myself very well. Whereas the person quoted above is right. The volume of muscle is very different to fat, as it is denser, so it doesn't take up as much space as fat does. So looking in the mirror you may look slimmer, but the number on the scale hasn't changed as such could be due to muscle :) x