Wheat and dairy free and cheap...Help!

Options
FoundProdigal
FoundProdigal Posts: 32 Member
Okay...I'm very much a beginner in the kitchen...up until recently I ate almost exclusively convenience pre-packaged meals. A few months ago I started my journey to a healthier me partly because I wanted to but mostly because I needed to for health reasons. In my quest to improving my health I started seeing a naturopathic doctor and figured out that wheat and dairy are huge contributing factors to my medical issues. I feel much better now without them...however it's a challenge. Also, I'm on disability and a large portion of my groceries comes from the food bank...and I pick up a extras when I am able.

What I'm looking for is ideas for cheap and quick, simple, easy meals....remember beginner here...that don't have wheat or dairy. I often have potato's, onions, and tomato's on hand... I always have my coconut milk (Silk) available. Random and various produce...never know what I'll get. Rice and quinoa I also try to always have on hand as well as frozen veggies, eggs, and canned tuna. I'm just getting a bit bored with my limited options. Wondering if anyone has any suggestions to make meal time a little more interesting and enjoyable. I get overwhelmed so easily.

Replies

• 2belll
    2belll Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    going gluten and dairy free can be tough at first once u get your head around the basics though its much easier. i was in your shoes about 1-2 years ago and have learnt much about cooking and eating healthy foods.
    with the ingrideints you've listed u could try some thai flavoured foods like a stir fry with coconut milk , whatever vegies u have on hand , and a jar of curry paste which usually last for heaps of meals.
    others things u could try would be flavoured quinoa use curry powder or if u could get your hands on some gltuen free flour or some buckwheat flour ur options are greater. let me know if this helps?
  • RemDogzMa
    RemDogzMa Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I found success on Pinterest with finding specialized recipes. Just type in wheat, dairy free meals in the search box and chose the ones that look good to you and work with the ingredients you have on hand.
  • FoundProdigal
    Options
    Thanks 2belll, I love curry so those sound like great ideas! Also I did pick up some Gluten free all purpose flour since my original post... hoping to stock up on some basics a little bit each month as I'm able.
  • FoundProdigal
    Options
    RemDogzMa, pinterest is great...my only problem is there's just way too many good ideas and the whole overwhelmed thing kicks in....and then I end up sitting there forever trying to make up my mind and never actually making anything...lol
  • 2belll
    2belll Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    glad I could help :)
  • amy1612
    amy1612 Posts: 1,356 Member
    Options
    A favourite cheapo soup of mine is thai red lentil.

A spoonful of thai red curry paste (get a tub from an asian market shop, itll be cheaper and tastier). Fry in a pan for a couple of mins, add water and some red lentils and cook until thick. Add a dash of coconut cream, and if you have it lying around some sort of veg (squash or sweet potato are good). Et Voila :)
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Have a look at my diary as it is all gluten and diary free. I cook most things from scratch as I also have other food allergies.