10% Down Need a New Goal or should I maintain for a bit?

Options
So today I hit my first goal of 10%. I'm currently at 235. For the past 12 years this has kinda been my "set" weight or as I like to think of it, a point of equilibrium for me. It's the number I tend to stay at without trying to lose. It's like it's a natural maintenance point, where my "normal" is a break even. Not saying that's a good thing and it's still about 100 lbs more than my ultimate goal. It's taken me since January to get here and frankly I'm feeling a little burnt out. You'd think that this would be something to motivate me to pick a new goal and go after it.

I've read forums and articles on MFP and other sites that suggest maintaining after a 10% reduction- that maintenance is it's own challenge. And part of me thinks that I should do that, that that would help w/ the burn out and reduce some pressure that I'm feeling. It's coming from me, and from what I think that other people in my life are thinking. On the other hand, if I just stop for now does that make me a failure? Does that let everyone else go "see she wasn't serious this time." Not that it's anyone's business. But then I'm going this pressure and perception of pressure is what is making me just feel so tired and so ready for a break.

Anyone else hit 10% and feel stuck or lost? What did you do? Did it work for you? I'm feeling a little uninspired and I know that some days you just have to suck it up and be a grown up and just do what you need to do. But if every day feels like work and you aren't finding that joy of accomplishment, is taking a step back a good idea?

Replies

• Danni3ll3
    Danni3ll3 Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I think you have a good start and should keep going. You need to think of this as a lifestyle change. It took me 3 years to lose 50 lbs and then in the past year, I gained some back due to a cruise and have lost it again. I want to go down another 5 to 10 but I know it takes time and at my age, I just can't eat as much as I did before. Just continue to make small changes that will become your norm. By the way, congrats on attaining your first goal!
  • jinna86
    jinna86 Posts: 93
    Options
    If you're still interested in losing weight, but you're feeling burnt out, why not try the full diet break: http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/the-full-diet-break.html <- that article explains what it's all about and how it might help you
  • Donald_Dozier_50
    Donald_Dozier_50 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    The Doctors want me to set goals like weekly goals, monthly goals and other ideas the doctors and others have come up with. I see this differently than many I guess but as I tell them, to me a goal is a place you reach when you succeed and are then able to do something different. As I see it, if I set goals each month for example with what I am told is reasonable for me to reach of 1/2 lb. per week, if the set a goal with me it would be like 2 lbs. or so a month and as you know, I have had better success than that in my 7 weeks dieting.

For me, I will stick to the one goal rule of losing to MY goal of 180 @ 6'0" and 53 years old......... nothing short of that can I see as a success.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    You are still at an unhealthy weight.

Do not stop until you reach a healthy BMI (or close to it.)

It is just as difficult, if not more difficult to start again once you become used to eating at maintenance.

Once you try to go back to weight-loss mode you have to go through that whole uncomfortable "less food" feeling. You are used to it now. Keep going. You will feel so proud of yourself for continuing until a healthy weight.

Screw other peoples' opinions and thoughts. Worry about your own health.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    You need a new goal.

I don't know the rate at which you chose to lose weight to get here (1 pound or 2 pounds a week). Maybe choose a slower rate. Also, maybe it is time to look critically at what you are doing to see why you feel burned out.

ETA: It sounds like you just fear failing.
  • hollygparr
    hollygparr Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    What about an inches goal? I challenge you to lose 5inches within 3 months
  • fitmusiclifeviola
    Options
    I have been steadily increasing weight since college, 13+ years ago. I recently checked my weight and noticed it was about 10 lbs heavier than I'd been at for the past few years. I had a lot of motivation to diet and found losing the first 5-10 lbs was relatively easy. But I found I had a huge mental block around passing what I had considered to be my 'setpoint'. I hear you talking about the same thing. I got very discouraged when losing weight started happening more slowly as I approached this set point.

I made a choice to keep going. I chose not to indulge in any celebratory extras. I passed up 2nd desserts. And sure enough a while later I notice that I am slowly started to creep below what set point I thought my body had. Part of why is giving myself permission to lose the weight a little more slowly; it's supposed to be a lifestyle change. But, while I know it's supposed to be a change, I'm still not sure it will be a permanent one. For now, I'm willing to try it out, and to be disciplined with sticking to it.

So I think you should acknowledge the chatter in your mind about 'setpoint' as just that. Keep focused on eating within your calorie goal. Take the decision of whether to eat away from how you feel, and let your logical mind take charge. Stick to it, and you might find that really losing more than you thought possible (below the setpoint that is), actually encourages and motivates you to stick to it more.

Good luck, and drink lots of water!
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I started with the motivation of whatever it took, I will continue until I reach a healthy weight. Now that doesn't mean I am perfect every day. Over the Holidays I maintained for 2-3 weeks, as I was not as strict on myself, but I never said to myself, "I've done good, so I deserve a 'break'" For me, that would mean I would quickly gain back what I had worked so hard to lose.

I had to get my mind set first on a few realities.

1. I simply cannot eat as many calories as I want to, and lose weight.
    2. I have to make some permanent changes in the types and amount of food I am eating, and exercise habits. and
    3. To keep this weight off, I will have to stay within a calorie goal for maintenance. ...the rest of my life.

The last one is hard. You have to figure out a plan you can do the rest of your life. Once you hit goal, you won't need to eat at a deficit anymore, but you will need to stay within maintenance calories. Sure you can relax a little bit here and there, but overall, you must never lose focus and go back to old habits, or the weight will come back.

This is not a diet you go on and off of. This has to be a permanent change of thought and action.

Start thinking as the person you will be at goal weight. Become that person in your head, then follow the steps to make the body match up with the mind.

This is a long process. If you are already feeling burnt out, then you need to figure out how to adjust your mind to this new lifestyle and stop fighting it so hard. I know it gets tough at times, but if you want it badly enough you can do it.
  • Boogage
    Boogage Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I think you should keep going but if your hearts not in it at the moment don't put too much pressure on yourself. I go through weeks where I can't really be bothered but I still try to keep my goals in the back of my mind, eat healthily and stay within my calories mostly days. When I'm in a better place mentally I start adding in the exercise again and watching the macros more closely.

For many years my body would happily sit at around 154lbs no matter what I ate and when I began dieting I never imagined my weight would go below this number (I'd dieted to a few pounds less previously but it just rose and settled again) but I kept pushing and this time to my surprise I sailed past and am now in the lower 130's and not finding it difficult to maintain, currently at least. Don't let your body fool you into thinking that your sticking point is a good weight for you when you could improve any health problems or stop yourself having to deal with some health problems in the future by putting in a bit more effort.

I'm struggling a bit at the moment too as I still feel I have a lot to do to get my body in shape but I just keep thinking 'this isn't a temporary fix, its a life long journey to health and strength'. Keep at it and you'll be amazed at what you can achieve.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's that I fear failing. Maybe it is. Maybe it's just that the new has worn off. I like to have mini goals or check points on the way to an ultimate goal. It's just that sometimes this feels like an all consuming thing- and that I have to plan my entire life around food and activity and that just doesn't feel like living to me some days. Like at some point, diet and exercise (not like going "on a diet" but what you generally eat diet, in the dictionary sense) should be almost second nature and it's just something you do, like brushing your teeth. And I'm not there yet. Some things have and some things haven't.

And I am considering it a lifestyle change, some days I accomplish that better than others and some days I have to work much harder at that than others. And lately, it's just hard, but not in the satisfying, proud of myself sense, but in the Sisyphean sense. That's silly I know, b/c I am making progress.
  • kittyr77
    kittyr77 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I had a wee maintenance phase after i lost 30%. Now iv decided to start with the fat loss again, 33% down now. I would keep going further yet if you're motivated enough.
  • okcat4
    okcat4 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I think keep it going. But do not beat yourself up if your body resists the move off your " set weight". Look for changes elsewhere and keep it going. You can do it! check your why i do this and renew or update them!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,019 Member
    Options
    I don't know if it's that I fear failing. Maybe it is. Maybe it's just that the new has worn off. I like to have mini goals or check points on the way to an ultimate goal. It's just that sometimes this feels like an all consuming thing- and that I have to plan my entire life around food and activity and that just doesn't feel like living to me some days. Like at some point, diet and exercise (not like going "on a diet" but what you generally eat diet, in the dictionary sense) should be almost second nature and it's just something you do, like brushing your teeth. And I'm not there yet. Some things have and some things haven't.

And I am considering it a lifestyle change, some days I accomplish that better than others and some days I have to work much harder at that than others. And lately, it's just hard, but not in the satisfying, proud of myself sense, but in the Sisyphean sense. That's silly I know, b/c I am making progress.

You have a lot of good self-awareness. I know in every fiber of my being that you will be much happier in every aspect of your life when you've gotten to a healthy weight.

We all have times that we just don't wanna. I've been in maintenance for five years, and every winter it's a huge psychological struggle for me.

One thing that really helped me was a computer journal. Talk about all this stuff to yourself every day. Give yourself 15 minutes a day (or more or less) and just talk it out to yourself. That's basically what you've been doing in this thread. You'll learn so much about your self-talk. It's all about that in the end.

As far as the tedium. Once you get in a routine, the logging shouldn't take you more than three minutes per meal. Keep the majority of your food simple, three to five ingredients. Save your Meals and Recipes. It makes this process painless.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I understand. I have my Sisyphean days. I have been at this since January (but didn't weigh myself til mid-February), and it's only just now settling into something I don't think about as a "project" all the time. I think that takes time, and getting off the train now will mean starting that all over again...and if you were ever going to pick a number to "perch" at for a while, I don't think I would pick that one...if it's been sticky for you before.
    Your diary's not open, but I wonder if you're being more aggressive/more scrupulously "clean" than you can comfortably maintain forever. Is it possible to switch it up a little, and maybe set some non-scale goals as well as scale goals? Are there activities that will be more accessible/fun for you now, with that weight off?
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    It does get hard sometimes. I have had more than my share of "I am getting sick of this" moments, where I'd love to go back to not having to think about my food every single day. In the first few months, it can be all consuming. But now, 8 months into this, I can have days where I don't plan my meals out and track everything before I eat it, and think I am going way over my limit, then when I sit down and enter everything, I am happily surprised that I am right on track. Going thru the motions day after day, week after week, creates the good habits that become second nature like you mentioned. This will eventually become your new 'normal', and you won't have to obsess over. You will just naturally make the right choices.
  • americangirlok
    americangirlok Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    After the original post I went for a walk thinking maybe pounding the pavement would help me think some things out. I'd like to start running, but I am so scared about tearing up my knees or hips- like my whole family has joint problems- granted a lot of that is that most of us are overweight. I'm not saying I'm happy at 235 or that I want to stay here forever, so much as it's like okay goal one now what? I read that you need to be able to walk 3 miles w/ no breaks before starting a C25K- and I can do that now and my pace has improved. So maybe I start that. Or just keep doing what I'm doing. I'm thinking about joining a gym, maybe I should do that and get on some kind of circuit program.

Thanks everyone for letting me think out loud, so to speak.
  • JessiBelleW
    JessiBelleW Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I have been at the same set point for the past five years. I was beginning to think I would never lose weight. However over the past two months I have finally lost a few kgs and feel I can really hit a healthy weight. I don't think you should stop at all - keep going!!!!

I TOTALLY hear you on the overwhelming /meh feeling of weight loss. Sometimes its just so damn tedious to log every single bite of food I eat through out the day. Do you have a some recipes/ fav foods that you know you could eat that fit into your calories? If you do you could plan out a week or two and you could just eat those foods -> if you know they all fit you could have a week where you don't need to think about it - you will have already have planned it. If you pre-measure snacks you could even have a day or a couple of days where you don't need to log and they may enable you to feel as if you have taken a step back and gotten some space - but you will still be keeping up with your healthy eating :)