Zumba - logging calories

Options
SuzMcH
SuzMcH Posts: 343 Member
I know a lot of people are doing Zumba classes right now. I'm doing my first tonight. I thought becuase it was so popular it would be in the database but it's not.
How do you log calories burned ? Do you just log aerobic exercise ? Thanks.

Replies

• kimberly428
    Options
    bump
  • coold
    coold Posts: 85
    Options
    Yes, I log mine as High impact Aerobic. I've heard it can be anywhere from 400-900 an hour, so unless you have a calorie counter thingy (haha) just estimate with the high impact!!!
  • LadyNay191
    Options
    It seems to me that using "aerobics" is pretty similar to the amount of calories that are burned in a Zumba class from what I have found online. I need to get a heart rate monitor though so I can know how much I'm really burning!
  • gambitsgal45
    Options
    Many of the people in my Zumba classes wear heartrate monitors. They usually get in the upper 600s for an hour, but it has gone all the way up to 800 depending on the dances we do. When I log, I usually log as 60 minutes of Aerobics, high impact.

Enjoy the Zumba... it's SOOOO fun!!!
  • kendra1976
    kendra1976 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was curious about that too. I have a HRM (now). Yesterday I used it during my 45 minute zumba class. I am 5 feet tall and currently weight 169 pounds. I burned 271 calories in 45 minutes. I did stay busy the entire time.

Before I had the HRM, I was using the Aerobics, general in the exercise section. It was about 15 calories off when I plugged in the 45 minutes yesterday.
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it also depends on the teacher. I have one teacher where I will burn 650 calories (with HRM) and another teacher where I only burn 550 calories. I usually subtract 100 calories per hour that I exercise as that is what I would burn if I wasn't exercising, so I average between 450 to 550 per hour per class.
  • thenebean9
    thenebean9 Posts: 216
    Options
    I've been using Dance - aerobic, modern, twist (or something like that) and it usually gives me about 338 calories for 45 minutes.
  • ScoobieGirl
    Options
    Anywhere between 400 and 900 calories depending on your body and how vigorously you participate. I burn about 550 calories really pushing myself in 60 minutes.
  • msciccone1
    msciccone1 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Love love love Zumba!!! You definitely should invest in a HRM cause it ranges between 350 to 850. I at least am always between 750-820. I would put it under Cardio or Dancing. Hope you love it :flowerforyou:
  • phillips87
    phillips87 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I logged mine as general dancing. I did it this way because I feel like a lot of times I am just standing waiting for the song to change or I am still waiting to learn the steps the instructor was doing.
    I didn't want to over figure so I kept mine a little on the low side. Hopefully my HRM will be here tomorrow and I can get a more acurate reading.
  • Osler7777
    Options
    i put my Zumba under Dancing, ballroom, fast for the amount of time i dance