Abdominal help - why does my neck hurt?

Options
Why is it my neck hurts more than my abdominals after an abdominal workout? In the past I was told to make sure to look up at the ceiling while doing abdominals so that your muscle doesn't form outward instead of inward. Is this theory still true? Why the sore neck? Is there an easier way to do crunches that doesn't make my neck feel like it is going to snap off?? Thanks for any suggestions! :-):smile:

Replies

• SyStEmPhReAk
    SyStEmPhReAk Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    are you pulling on your head as you do crunches? if so, this will lead to neck pain.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    as Jillian Michaels says, "don't bring your neck to the party" :D

just try not to constantly bring your head forward while doing your crunches. i don't know what your talking about forming abs out instead of in though? as far as i know you can only build up the muscle and a calorie deficit will help you strip all your fat including the layer that covers your abs :)
  • lilred806
    lilred806 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. I have a really weak neck. I find I have to use my arms and hands to holdup my head or my neck hurts.
  • icemelt68
    icemelt68 Posts: 7
    Options
    Ok, so I'm pulling on my head toooo much trying to do these crunches then. Thanks for the help!!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    plank instead
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I know a girl that got a sore neck from working out.

Now she utilizes her hands more strengthening her forearms and putting less pressure on her neck.
  • jchite84
    jchite84 Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Try doing ab exercises that don't move your upper body. I am thinking of leg lifts, planks, rotational lunges, etc. Then you aren't initiating neck movement.
  • icemelt68
    icemelt68 Posts: 7
    Options
    Yay! Great suggestions!! Thank you.
  • sparklyball
    sparklyball Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    i have the same problem!

am trying to find ways of ab exercise without using neck. gutted i can't do the 30 day shred (too much neck involvement for me)

can do plank, sissors

been searching youtube ect..anymore suggestions anyone please?

thank you!
  • Zekela
    Zekela Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I can only speculate that you are off form. Your neck isn't supposed to hurt if you do them properly. I'm sorry I can't give more insight on this, I'd have to see how you are doing them.
  • justjennnie
    justjennnie Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Alright, this may sound silly- but if you put your tongue touching the roof of your mouth it relaxes the front of your neck. Make sure your chin isnt touching your chest. Place your arms just touching your ears so you aren't pulling on your neck when you are sitting up.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,961 Member
    Options
    Alright, this may sound silly- but if you put your tongue touching the roof of your mouth it relaxes the front of your neck. Make sure your chin isnt touching your chest. Place your arms just touching your ears so you aren't pulling on your neck when you are sitting up.

This does sound a little silly, and yet I find myself wondering ..and putting my tongue on the roof of my mouth. :laugh:
  • endoftheside
    endoftheside Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I get the same thing with crunches, I don't know whether it is something with my neck, my strength, or my form, but regular crunches just don't work for me (at least at the moment). I prefer to do planks (and the million variations). I also find that my neck doesn't hurt as bad when I do abdominal work on an exercise ball instead of the floor.