more calories???

Options
Ok, right now MFP is telling me to eat 1270 calories a day without including exercise. I went to Jiliian Michaels website and she was telling me I needed 1500+. So what's the truth? What should I be doing? Any advice (unless you're mean) would be greatly appreciated. :)

Replies

• jimithegreek
    Options
    I'd say yes, eat a bit more. While you won't lose as fast, it will be more sustainable and your body will be healthier.
  • Abo1995
    Abo1995 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Are you shorter than average? If you are short you would have lower calories than someone who is taller.
    It could also be that you have put in a big weight loss goal of 3 or 4 pounds a week loss?

If you think the number is too low test out what your body needs. Try 1500 calories, if you lose weight then it obviously work if you gain take 100 away and keep doing that till you lose. Remember you know your body best so do what works for you- everyone is different.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    If you feel like 1,270 is a sustainable target that gets results, it's a good number. If you're feeling weak and hungry all the time, maybe a little more would be prudent.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    What are your stats? Height? Weight? Age? How much you should eat depends entirely on those factors.
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    What you will want to do is calculate your TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) to calculate the amount of calories your body burns every day. Once you get this number, subtract 10-20% and use this number as your daily caloric intake.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Ok, right now MFP is telling me to eat 1270 calories a day without including exercise. I went to Jiliian Michaels website and she was telling me I needed 1500+. So what's the truth? What should I be doing? Any advice (unless you're mean) would be greatly appreciated. :)

I think the Jillian Michaels website calorie suggestions are high. I went there before and I was very surprised how much it said I should eat. It was super high. I thought they were giving the calorie amount for a man my height and weight.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options

I think the Jillian Michaels website calorie suggestions are high. I went there before and I was very surprised how much it said I should eat. It was super high. I thought they were giving the calorie amount for a man my height and weight.

The JM website might be including exercise in that, though? I'm not sure, I've never been to the site. I just know Jillian is huge on working out, so maybe she gives you a calorie goal assuming you're going to be busting your butt every day.
  • groovyreba
    groovyreba Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I didn't think about the fact that she may be including exercise. This is something I'll ponder a while longer. :)