Does anyone else live with a totally unsupportive family?

Options
2»

Replies

• catholiclorimom
    catholiclorimom Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes, it can be very discouraging to have your efforts go unappreciated, or even sabatoged. But this is also an opportunity to love your family as they are--frankly they will not change lifetime habits just because you are ready for changes. Now that you are an adult you are not to play the victim, but to take charge of your decisions. Do not even ask for their support. Continue with your good eating habits. Keep reminding yourself how much better your feel when you eat well.

Assuming you are taking classes at a junior college. Use their exercise facilities before or after class. Try to partner with a friend or neighbor to commit to walking everyday in the evening. Target the food in your home that you can eat. Since your funds are limited you would qualify to go to a free food bank, some of which will offer fresh fruit and vegetables--you could make yourself a promise to pay it forward when you have more funds. Stay positive and contribute to the happiness of your family. whoever is "cooking" for the family is probably tired and super hungry when making/ordering dinner. Be there to help/offer to fix the entire meal. Put a salad/veggie platter next to the pizza box. Share your fruit salad, try a home made granola, kale chips etc. Be sure to clean up all your messes and they may enjoy your surprise contributions. Here's a yummie tip--no fat sour cream and salsa makes a fantastic dip/salad dressing.
  • notenoughspeed
    notenoughspeed Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I can't say I share your dilemma. Both my parents are very supportive of me eating better. I definitely feel for you though. It has to be tough living in a household where most of the food is unhealthy boxed garbage. Yep, time to get a part time job so you can buy the food you want if they won't get you healthier food choices.
  • casmjones
    casmjones Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    So sorry you are going through this. Getting out away from house will help (job, walking,etc). There are plenty of people here for support. Feel free anyone to add me as a friend. Good luck
  • ellepribro
    ellepribro Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    You can be successful even if those around you do not have similar goals. Make the changes you need to make to live your healthy lifestyle. Talk to your family. Get a part time job, buy your own food. Workout - do you care more about your health or what your family thinks of your working out?
    The only person who can sabotage you is you. If you want it bad enough, you can make it happen regardless of the situation you're in.
  • HotrodsGirl0107
    HotrodsGirl0107 Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I have always lived with people who don't care about nutrition or health, so I have always been around cakes, cookies, chips and various other "junk foods". I couldn't force anyone to conform to my needs and even though your family seems alot like mine, I never saw their actions being unsupportive. I just learned to be my own support and after a little while I realized that is all I needed to be successful.

Struggle is a part of life, but when you get through it you will be a stronger person! Good Luck!!
  • mummamckay
    mummamckay Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think it's a great opportunity to show them how much fun and filling eating healthily can be.
    Offer to cook a couple of times a week, and write a list of the ingredients you will need., cooking in bulk for the family won't be as expensive as buying pre packed pizzas etc. get a big bag of frozen chicken, whole meal pasta, rice, tinned toms etc, all the essentials, some herbs and spices and they will probably last a few different meals.
    Your family may even look forward to your cooking nights. A night off for your mum, and something different on their plates.
    All the best xxx