quinoa, HALP!

Options
BeckyAnne4
BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
i'm looking for some dinner ideas for my quinoa. i usually just have it cooked up alongside something else, but i want to make it into a (maybe vegetarian?) main dish for dinner. the other protein sources i have on-hand to potentially add to it are - extra firm tofu, lentils, various beans, shrimp, egg, chicken, or lean pork. i am fairly open-minded when it comes to veggies and seasonings/herbs/spices.

whatcha got?

:happy:

Replies

• mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I often make quinoa with vegetable broth and chopped broccoli. You can serve curry, or pork, or a stirfried dish with tofu or anything like that on top.

I also make my favourite soup once a week that I got from an ap called 21 day vegan jumpstart. It's a lentil cous cous soup, and I replace the cous cous with quinoa. It's just onions, celery, one cup lentils. five cups of water or vegetable broth and tsp of cumin. Simmer for fifty minutes, then add quinoa, curry powder (or gharam masala) and a cup of crushed tomatoes, and salt and pepper. I also like to add butternut squash, broccoli, ginger, and my daughter always adds frozen peas at the end.

Serve with toast and greek yogurt on top, optional. I have also eaten it the next day when it is less soupy over brown rice.

There are lots of quinoa salad recipes online also.

I also like to make quinoa in the crockpot with water, cinnamon, sugar, and sliced apples. It's like apple crisp.
  • BeckyAnne4
    BeckyAnne4 Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    i like the sound of the lentil soup! i already have all of the ingredients too, so it might just be dinner tomorrow night! thanks!
  • Rossa59
    Rossa59 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I'm using quinoa for the first time tonight in a warm salad. Adding roasted red onions, courgettes (zucchini), yellow pepper and tomatoes plus some chopped fresh herbs. I roast the vegetables together. You could use any veg you like and dress it with whatever you prefer. I'm trying some tahini with lemon, oil, toasted cumin seeds and a little honey for a middle eastern type flavour. Mix it all up in a bowl while it's hot and if you want something crunchy add some nuts. I'm topping this with some fresh salmon I microwave in a steamer but again you can add whatever you like to it.

We can get white or red quinoa here in the UK. I'm trying the white one first. Alternatives to quinoa I use are barley couscous (Belazu brand), pearled spelt (Sharpham Park) or brown basmati rice.
  • CatMcCheesey
    CatMcCheesey Posts: 143
    Options
    I make a vegetarian Quinoa dish with caramelized onions, halved cherry tomatoes, fresh basil, salt & pepper, and a little tofu or feta cheese. It's delicious!
  • kavanaghev
    kavanaghev Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Cook it with whatever broth or seasoning you like and then mix it with egg whites and pour into pancakeish things. Little bit of sour cream (or plain Greek yogurt) and chives on top and it's a delicious lunch or light dinner. I also put quinoa in my red sauce and cook it with spinach, mushrooms, and sweet sausage. I also put it in my chili.
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    Sorry, I don't have the nutritional info for these!

Quinoa Goat Cheese Risotto

1 ½ cup quinoa
    1 T olive oil
    1 T Butter
    1 onion, finely chopped
    4 cloves garlic
    1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
    3 cups broth (chicken or vegetable)
    ½ cup white wine
    1 lb spinach
    4 oz goat cheese
    Parmesan, parsley and lemon zest for garnish
    Directions
    1. Rinse quinoa in a fine metal sieve until your water turns clear.
    2. Spray a skillet with cooking spray. Sauté spinach until tender. Set aside.
    3. Heat butter and olive oil over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until tender. Add garlic and cook for one minute.
    4. Add quinoa, wine and cayenne pepper. Cook until the wine is almost evaporated, stirring frequently.
    5. Add enough broth to cover quinoa. Simmer uncovered over medium low heat. Add broth as the liquid absorbs and stir frequently. Cooking quinoa will take about 15 minutes
    6. Stir in spinach in last two minutes of cooking.
    7. Remove from heat and add salt, pepper and 3 ounces of the goat cheese. Stir.
    8. Crumble remaining goat cheese, parsley, lemon zest and parmesan over the quinoa.

Vegan Quinoa Veggie Burger

Ingredients:
    • 1 1/2 cups cooked quinoa
    • 1/2 cup hummus OR 1/2 cup mashed cooked chickpeas + 2 Tbsp water
    • 1 Tbsp tomato paste
    • 2 Tbsp ground flaxseed meal or egg replacer
    • 1 Tbsp soy sauce OR Bragg's Liquid Aminos
    • 1 tsp dried basil leaf
    • 1/2 tsp dried thyme leaf
    • 1/2 tsp gr cumin seed
    • 1 tsp gr coriander seed
    • 1/2 tsp paprika
    • 1/2 tsp garlic powder
    • 4 Tbsp potato starch OR wheat flour
    • Salt & pepper to taste
    Directions:
    1. Heat a non-stick frying pan on med. low
    2. Dry roast the cumin, coriander, paprika and garlic powder, stirring, 5 min.
    3. Blend all ingredients in a bowl or food processor
    4. If you have time, chill the mixture for an hour or so before forming into patties, for a firmer patty.
    5. Divide burger mix into 8 equal portions and form into 3 inch patties
    6. Fry in a little oil on medium heat, 5 - 10 minutes each side, until browned and firm
    7. To freeze uncooked, place the patties between sheets of wax paper on a baking sheet and freeze. Store in a freezer bag or plastic container and cook as needed (thaw in fridge or microwave)
  • HurricaneLindsay
    HurricaneLindsay Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I love cooked quinoa stuffed in bell pepper with salsa, corn and black beans.
  • justinhemker
    justinhemker Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    This isn't for dinner but it makes for a great quinoa dessert or breakfast...

http://www.eat-yourself-skinny.com/2012/09/apple-cinnamon-quinoa-cereal.html
  • ssseattle
    ssseattle Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I like it cooked in veggie broth (rinse it first) with cumin, coriander, and a pinch of cinnamon and black pepper. Then stir in a can of chick peas and some lemon zest.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa!

Veggie broth, a spoonful of salsa, grilled chicken!
  • Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I love quinoa! Bump for more ideas!
  • MissPatty584
    MissPatty584 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    bump!
    bought my first package of quinoa yesterday, planning on making it with dinner tonight!
  • jimithegreek
    Options
    Quinoa, plus two eggs, plus two egg whites, then throw in some peas, onions, and broccoli......BINGO!
  • clrrrr
    clrrrr Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I am obsessed with this recipe:
    http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Quinoa-and-Black-Beans/Detail.aspx?prop24=etaf
    !!!
    It's sooo good and refreshing but filling at the same time. Great for summer! But you really need the cumin and fresh cilantro to get the full effect.

Edit to add: it's also vegan, if you're into that sort of thing :)
  • bound4beauty
    bound4beauty Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I made this last night for a potluck and those that liked curry loved it.

Spiced Quinoa

Makes 2 cups

1 tablespoon olive oil

1 small onion, chopped

1 clove garlic, minced

3/4 cup quinoa

1 1/2 teaspoons curry powder

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

1/2 teaspoon cumin

1/4 teaspoon cinnamon

1 1/2 cups chicken stock

1 (14 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed

1/2 cup toasted pine nuts

1/2 cup raisins, soaked in hot water and drained (optional)

Directions

Stir together the olive oil, onion, and garlic in a saucepan over medium heat until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Stir in the quinoa, curry powder, salt, pepper, cumin, cinnamon, and chicken stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer 20 minutes until the quinoa is tender.

Once the quinoa has finished cooking, stir in the drained garbanzo beans, toasted pine nuts, and raisins. Serve warm or cold.
  • Cupcakehippiemommy
    Cupcakehippiemommy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I just had it a quinoa salad with a sun dried tomato pesto as a dressing, Summer squash, kale and arugula with poached tiger prawns (which you can omit)
  • MichelleMac58
    MichelleMac58 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    One of my fav's:

Quinoa Veggie “Fried Rice”:

Yields 4-6 servings

INGREDIENTS:

2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
    2 large eggs, beaten
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 small onion, diced
    8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
    1 head broccoli, cut into florets
    1 zucchini, chopped
    1/2 cup frozen corn
    1/2 cup frozen peas
    2 carrots, peeled and grated
    3 cups cooked quinoa
    1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
    3 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 green onions, sliced
    Sriracha, for serving
    DIRECTIONS:

Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over low heat. Add eggs and fry until cooked through, about 2-3 minutes per side, flipping only once. Let cool before dicing into small pieces.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large skillet or wok over medium high heat. Add garlic and onion, and cook, stirring often, until onions become translucent, about 4-5 minutes.

Add mushrooms, broccoli and zucchini. Cook, stirring constantly, until vegetables are tender, about 3-4 minutes.

Add corn, peas, carrots and quinoa. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 1-2 minutes.

Add ginger and soy sauce, and gently toss to combine. Cook, stirring constantly, until heated through, about 2 minutes.

Stir in green onions and eggs.

Serve immediately, drizzled with Sriracha, if desired.

It's yummy & filling!
  • elm7f
    elm7f Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I wish I could help. I cooked quinoa once and got violently ill. It was so horrible. I assume I'm allergic to it which sucks since it's such a nutrious food :(
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    bump for later