Measuring your inches..

Options
How often do you take your measurements?
I try to do a weigh in once a week....should I do measurments then as well or less often?

Replies

• SFinn
    SFinn Posts: 43
    Options
    I think that it is recommended less often...anywhere from every two weeks to every month. I've been doing every two weeks, just because for me seeing the number either way is a motivator. If it goes up, it motivates me to work harder to lose what I gained and if it goes down I work harder to continue losing. Depends on how you work but I would say every week is probably a lot...
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I usually take my measurment once a month.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    once a month sounds good,
    i had a feeling weekly was too much..don't think I would see a difference on a weekly basis!
  • Sumatra
    Sumatra Posts: 181
    Options
    I've been taking mine about every week, but it barely moves, so I'm going to go to every two weeks and see how I like it there, I may move it out even further.
  • soundofsong
    Options
    I think it's recommended once a month but I used to once a week and I definitely noticed results. So that's why I did it so often. But that was back before I had my second child. Ughh.. here we go again.
  • rose1617
    rose1617 Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    I do it once/week just because it's easier to do it all at once on the same day, that way I don't forget. In fact, I have a sheet with all of my measurements that I have pre-dated.
    I usually see a difference (even if it's a tenth of an inch or so) every week.
  • jreneanderson
    jreneanderson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Has anybody noticed a difference between measurements of each 'side' of your body? I have! Just wondering if it's the same for everyone else. My left arm and thigh are bigger than my right side, and I was just curious if anyone else has this. I am right-handed so I use my left side more often for carrying things; it's my "stronger" side. However, it is also my less coordinated side too, as Chalene (Turbo Jam) would say. Today my left thigh is about 1" bigger than my right thigh, and my left arm is about 1/2" bigger than my right.

Thoughts??
  • Danielle_81
    Options
    Has anybody noticed a difference between measurements of each 'side' of your body? I have! Just wondering if it's the same for everyone else. My left arm and thigh are bigger than my right side, and I was just curious if anyone else has this. I am right-handed so I use my left side more often for carrying things; it's my "stronger" side. However, it is also my less coordinated side too, as Chalene (Turbo Jam) would say. Today my left thigh is about 1" bigger than my right thigh, and my left arm is about 1/2" bigger than my right.

Thoughts??

This is completely normal. Most women's breasts are a little bit different sizes, and actually even your internal organs will have a difference in size. So like with you, your left kidney, lung and left side of your heart is probably a "little" bit bigger than the right.
  • starstealing
    Options
    I think it's recommended once a month but I used to once a week and I definitely noticed results. So that's why I did it so often. But that was back before I had my second child. Ughh.. here we go again.

soundofsong: is that the cover from one of the ditty bops' albums in your tracker bg pic?
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    How often do you take your measurements?
    I try to do a weigh in once a week....should I do measurments then as well or less often?

I weigh in once per week and do my measurements at those times too. I record them all, right down to eighths of an inch, that way I notice every little change.
  • sweetoblivion314
    Options

Thoughts??

This is totally normal, and actually it is a big problem a lot of body builders and gym goers have. In order to even out each of your sides there are a few things you can do that involve resistance training.
    First - always use machines or weights that are separate for each side. for example: instead of barbell curl do dumbbell curls. This way your strong side will not compensate for the weak one.
    second - start each exercise on your weak side. than, do the exercise on your strong side but only do as many reps as you did on the weak side.

hope that helps. It helped me even out my right and left biceps which used to be 1" different.
  • jreneanderson
    jreneanderson Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback Danielle and sweetoblivion! I have dumbbells at home but I never use them. I will definitely have to start, though, so I can strengthen up my right side. :o)
  • RushinBruisette
    RushinBruisette Posts: 2,109 Member
    Options
    I weigh in every Friday and measure every other Friday :)
  • Vanessa1977
    Options
    My b-day is on the 14th, so every month I measure myself on the 14th AND do my breast exam. Maybe that was TMI. lol
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I do my measurement 1x per month.....usually the last thurs of each month with my weigh in.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I do measurements and body fat once ever 5-6 weeks.
  • lizziewhan
    lizziewhan Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    i recommend every 6 weeks!
  • nessaj
    nessaj Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    OK.... this is a silly question, but where on the arms / thighs do you measure?
  • bjshooter
    bjshooter Posts: 1,174 Member
    Options
    I normally forget and do it once a month (ish) I like it like that though as you see more of a difference.
  • grover0ca
    grover0ca Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    OK.... this is a silly question, but where on the arms / thighs do you measure?

not a silly question at all..I would like to know too!