How do you get the energy/motivation to exercise?

Options

Replies

• annasor70
    annasor70 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I do what I love...ballet! I really recommend it!!!!
  • Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    Simple, I want extra Calories to eat. Bottom line, if i do not exercise i only have my set amount of calories and when I do exercise i can have more. That is all the motivation I need.
  • cruzcrzyMarie
    cruzcrzyMarie Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    I tell myself, it is not an option, because it's not! This is my life now. I am in maintenance, and if I want to keep this weight off, I must exercise. I am 50, menopausal, and have no choice, lol. I've been the same weight for a year now, so I am beating the odds and keeping the weight off. JUST DO IT!:).
  • WannaDizzolve
    WannaDizzolve Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I get naked and stand in front of the mirror - no joke. I look at everything that I hate, and I become motivated.

Yeah, this. Also, if you work out often enough, you get more energized and more endorphins...
  • freebirdjones
    freebirdjones Posts: 237
    Options
    To be honest sometimes I almost want to cry working out LOL I mean I love a good workout and I find it fun with my mp3 player on and I like seeing results but honestly to get where I am I have had times where I DID NOT want to work out and I'd be laughing with my hubby while working out pretending to whine like "ahh I hate working out this is so not fun, I don't feel like it right now, guh this getting into shape sucks" lol just pushing the reps out feeling sorry almost lol But I do it :D
    Honestly put on a good tune and sulk your way through a work out. Soon you will feel more energy after weeks go by and you will feel like it more often. Sometimes I don't want to go for a jog, I throw my shows on and throw myself on the street. If my shoes are on and my mp3 player is playin and I'm out the door I may as well run a bit and then once you get 1/2 way there you somehow have to get back home so you jog home LOL.
    You can find fun workouts but you will still have hard days, just work through it. you will feel better after when you sit there and are so proud you did a hard workout you didn't really want to start in the first place :)
    It's like going to work sick, I hate it but after Ive done the day and slept the night, the next day it doesn't even matter what I did the day before and have a whole days wages on my pay that I wouldn't have if I stayed home. It's like that extra money you get like that, just in fitness success not $ :P
    Also I find the members I have added on here motivate me :)
    And I have three awesome facebook groups that put fitness in your face all day so right now Im living it, its all around me! You can add me if you like :)
  • swtgretchen
    Options
    Something just clicked in my head and I am tired of being 200+ pounds. I have an entire gym in my garage and I didn't even use it. AND I'm just not happy,,,,I don't go out I don't go to the beach I just sit home and I'm just SICK OF IT!! Don't you get that way? Like you are just sick of it??? Also, what really really helped is I watched Joe Cross in Fat Sick and Nearly Dead on youtube and that night I ordered a juicer. It has been 2 weeks and I have not stopped yet. I don't juice completely but I am working out 4-5 times a week. you should watch it and it will change your life....
  • Wetcoaster
    Wetcoaster Posts: 1,788 Member
    Options
    My son is 17....I wanted to live long enough to see him Graduate from University.....98 pounds down in 13 months..another 40 or so to go.
  • HollisGrant
    HollisGrant Posts: 2,022 Member
    Options
    I live across the street from a national park... thousands of acres of fields, woods, historic farms, and horse trails. It's perfect for hiking and jogging. It's a spiritual experience for me to go out there, either alone or with my collie or with a friend. It's so beautiful it's like living next to the sea. I will not be a dead person who sits on the couch in front of the TV set, filling my gut. I have life to live.
  • dorthymcconnel
    dorthymcconnel Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Start out with something you like to do, maybe dancing or a class. Sometimes the hardest part is just making the first step. You can do this! Make a list of why you want to lose the weight and get fit. Post it where you can see it often. And surround yourself with encouragers online and in real life if possible. You can do this. You're worth it. :smile:
  • Byrdsong1920
    Byrdsong1920 Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I've posted challenges on Instagram and Facebook and had friends join me on MFP and it helps URSELF and everyone. Once I joined my new gym, I met a girl in sauna that's turned into my dear friend and workout partner. We share foods we cook and motivate each other! Helps having accountability partners!

Love my new gym, they have yoga, Pilates, Zumba, spin , a sauna, steam, spa etc. helps me stay motivated. I also make new friends a lot! Also, take up hobbies u love. I'm doing salsa and lose a lot! Good exercise and another social means to network.

Also, I designed a VisionBoard and hung on my door. Great reminder daily or goals, resolutions and bucket list items ;) Prayer and meditation is great too. Measure ur inches, weigh And get body fat% and take pics in clothes u can't fit. As u lose, good to track and reflect back!
    Good luck, Shannon atlanta
  • ChasingKatie
    ChasingKatie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Its all about just getting started. I get up at 5 to exercise before work, some days its really hard to get out of bed. I tell myself I can just do 5 minutes and go as slow as I want. Once I get going, Im ok and will do the whole 30 min or whatever. You just have to take the first step. Pick up the weights, tell yourself just 1 rep. You will have a whole workout done before you know it.
  • LuvtheCubs
    LuvtheCubs Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obdd31Q9PqA

Here is what I watch sometimes when I don't have the motivation.

Wow. That is a great video.
  • rdrettig1
    rdrettig1 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I look at a lot of pictures of girls I want to look like, I make lists of all the reasons I want to be fit, things I will be able to do better once I hit my goal. And then I just do it, even when I don't want to. Starting is the hardest part, once I'm working out I enjoy it. And when I'm done I am always so glad I did. So I try to remember that feeling when I am not wanting to exercise.
  • johned63
    johned63 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obdd31Q9PqA

Here is what I watch sometimes when I don't have the motivation.

That was is great. I like this one too http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaInS6HIGo
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    I guilt trip myself. I'm in the process of doing it right now. Must...kickbox...with Jillian.
  • Lifeskillz
    Lifeskillz Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    self-discipline. You "do it" whether you feel like it or not.
    Think of your long term goals. Where do you want to be? Think of your long term goals vs your immediate want.
    As far as energy goes, once you get into a routine of working out (starting your day with a work out actually gives you more energy for the day, you feel better, your attitude is better and its just a great way to start) You get more energy. I guess it's the rule of motion.
    To help you get some direction of what you want try this exercise. It may help.
    Write down your goal as a question and be specific with a date. You can always give yourself more time if needed. Ex. " How can I lose 20 pounds by June 19th?" Then write down 20 answers (it's hard to come up with 20 but trust me, it's worth taking the time and work for it) to your question. Now you have a full list of different avenues to get to where you want to be.
    Also, it's a great idea to get yourself a little notebook and write down a plan for your workouts for the week. it's also really great way to jot down daily goals for yourself to keep you on track.
    Working out gives you so much more then one would ever imagine! self worth, self esteem, a feeling of strength and good discipline. It's a gift to give yourself.
    If you can't find the motivation, it may be because its not a high priority for yourself. May be time to refocus of what's really important to you and answer the "why" you want this to give to yourself that motivation you are lacking. Chances are, it's been there with you all along. You just needed to take another look. I think you can do this! Besides, just think of how wonderful you will feel.
    Focus on what you like about your body for an extra boost!
    You got this! :)
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    caffeine. or techno music. or any up beat catchy music that makes me want to move.
  • thepetiterunner
    thepetiterunner Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    There's a few things I do:

I commit to the first 15 minutes of a workout. I tell myself "well just do 15 minutes and if you REALLY don't want to after that, then stop, but at least you've done 15 minutes." By the time those 15 minutes are up, I just keep on going.

During workout, I remind myself how much I enjoy doing something good for myself and that I really love getting out and taking a run or hitting the weights.

I also remember what it felt like to be uncomfortable in my own skin and I am NEVER going to be that person again.
  • Shetchncn1
    Shetchncn1 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you start working out and working out persistently then your body will get stronger and you will feel better. Then you will have more energy and you will want to work out.
  • Shr3dded
    Shr3dded Posts: 232
    Options
    I look in the mirror.