HELP! Want to start running, but having shoe issues!

Options
I've never been a runner, but would desperately like to start C25K if I can get over some foot/calf issues I've been having because of over-pronating. (I have practically lived in flip-flops for years, as we live on an island and it's just the standard footwear around here. :laugh: ) I've developed pins and needles issues, and often have mild soreness in the bottoms of my feet from the poor mechanics of my gait.

After doing some research and talking to some friends and family members who run, I went out and bought a pair of Brooks Adrenaline GTS 13 shoes today. They were recommended to me to improve my arch support and stability. They really do feel good on my feet, but when I tried to take a good walk in them a little while ago, I noticed my feet and shins felt very sore. It's my understanding that shoes with good stability are supposed to prevent shin splints and help with problems like plantar fasciitis. :huh:

On the upside, I didn't have the pins and needles traveling up my legs from my feet that I've BEEN having when taking fast walks, so THAT is a positive, I'd say. :smile:

I'm just wondering if the soreness I felt while walking in these new shoes was because they're new shoes and I've been accustomed to such awful footwear, or if perhaps this is a clue that I bought the wrong shoes?

If this is just because they're 'new shoes', how long should it take before I feel an improvement? Should I wear them around the house to get my feet more used to them, or only wear them for walks/runs?

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• ka97
    ka97 Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    The right shoes should feel good the first time you wear them and should not have to be broken in. Though I don't really know about getting used to wearing sneakers in general compared to flip flops, my first instinct is that your shoes might not be the right ones for you.
    My advice would be to find a running store with knowledgable staff that will watch you run, analyze your gait, and help you pick out the right shoes for you.
  • lambchristie
    lambchristie Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I too wear sandels or flip flops 95% of the time. The only time I wear shoes is when I go to the gym or out for a walk/jog. I found I was getting shin splints and my feet hurt a lot. I know I don't have the proper running shoes but I did recently purchase the Dr. School's Active insole and what a difference it has made. Shin splints gone. Not so much pain on my knees and the soles of my feet. You may want to try them.

http://www.drscholls.com/Brand/ActiveSeries?utm_source=google&utm_medium=cpc&utm_term=sports insole&utm_campaign=Product+4/13&utm_content=srriQ4Zhv|pcrid|19327814846
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    The right shoes should feel good the first time you wear them and should not have to be broken in. Though I don't really know about getting used to wearing sneakers in general compared to flip flops, my first instinct is that your shoes might not be the right ones for you.
    My advice would be to find a running store with knowledgable staff that will watch you run, analyze your gait, and help you pick out the right shoes for you.
    This.

Also, a "stability" shoe does not necessarily prevent shin splint issues or plantar fascitis -- only properly fitted shoes will. I think I am classified as a "neutral" runner with super-high arches and I know that a stability shoe would a bad pick for me and possibly lead to problems (like shin splints and maybe PF).

Get fitted. Also, it helps to buy from a store that allows you to try the shoe out for a while to make sure it fits. I know that some local running stores do this as well as online retailers like runningwarehouse.com and roadrunnersports.com (both have a 90-day "try for free" program).

Good luck!
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    Doing toe lifts to strengthen the muscles running up along the shin bone can also help to reduce or eliminate shin splints. A friend of mine who had to get pins in his ankles has this recommended to him by his physical therapist to prevent shin splints.
  • gettinfitaus
    gettinfitaus Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm just going to go against the grain here for a second and say that I have always gone to the local running store to be properly fitted for shoes but even after the gait analysis I found my new shoes causing shin splints. The reason why is that I found myself fighting the way the shoe was making my feet strike, I was actively working against the shoes. Once I deliberately focused on loosening up my ankles and allowing my feet to strike the ground kinda loose it suddenly got allot easier. I just needed to trust that the shoes would do their job.
  • islandlifenc
    islandlifenc Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all of the suggestions.

Unfortunately, there are NO actual running stores anywhere near where we live. As I mentioned, we live on an island off the coast of NC, and the closest thing to a running store is the ****'s Sporting Goods in a town 25 minutes away. :ohwell:

That's where I bought my shoes today, but the sales associate in the shoe department, though he was a really nice guy, just didn't know much about pronation, seemed unfamiliar with the kinds of shoes that prevent shin splints, and seemed generally to be new to trying to help people find the right running shoes.

He did mention, however, that I have 90 days to decide on the shoes, so Lord willing, they'll work out just fine. If not, then I guess I'll switch 'em for a different pair.

So far, what akforster82 said seems to make sense. I did notice I was trying to walk 'correctly' in my new shoes, and probably I shouldn't think so much about it but just trust that the shoes will do their job.

Also, I thank lambchristie for the suggestion about the insoles. Those certainly look like they might be worth a look, too, even if just for my other shoes!