Peanut butter - good or bad for weight loss??

Options
blisser99
blisser99 Posts: 122 Member
I have been eating peanut butter every now in then to boost my protein, but the fat content is really high. We buy Snippy All Natural peanut butter. I just was wondering if it was good for weight loss or not. Thanks do much.

Replies

• Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Depends how much self control you have around it.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    It's as good as any other food, as long as you stay near your calorie and macro goals at the end of the day. :)
  • Carnivor0us
    Carnivor0us Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    I do a high-fat diet, so peanut butter is a cherished snack.
  • mnm424
    mnm424 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    I eat half a serving of pb at least every day minimum.....
  • BarackMeLikeAHurricane
    BarackMeLikeAHurricane Posts: 3,400 Member
    Options
    IIFYM
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    great! eat a ton..just work it into your plan!
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    I eat 4-6 tablespoons of peanut butter a day.

Well, look at my ticker.

Just stay within your calorie goal.
  • CrystalDreams
    CrystalDreams Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    peanut butter is not a good source of protein. Soy, low fat dairy, and meat is a better one. but on the other hand peanut butter is awesome.
  • oohmercyme
    oohmercyme Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    I eat 1-2 tablespoons of peanut butter most days. Often as "fuel" before I run. I always get the natural/no sugar added variety. If you want to eat it, fit it into your menu- it's doable.

<-- Works for me!
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I eat PB at least 3 or 4 times a week. I add them to my smoothies if I don't add protein powder.My husband eats a PB on whole wheat bread just about every morning.Which he is a very active runner...
  • S0nsh1ne
    S0nsh1ne Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I eat a tablespoon every day on my english muffin, in a pbj sandwich or with a banana.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I have been eating peanut butter every now in then to boost my protein, but the fat content is really high. We buy Snippy All Natural peanut butter. I just was wondering if it was good for weight loss or not. Thanks do much.

That's entirely up to you and you alone, you like peanut butter ...eat it. Just stay in your calories and fats for the day is all, overdo it and you'll stop losing... Peanut butter is good for you and is a healthy fat if that helps you at all.
  • WandaWoman41
    WandaWoman41 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Hey, there was a Jif add at the bottom of this thread. What the heck...?
  • tameejean
    tameejean Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I eat it every day! Although, I will only eat it natural without sugar or salt, just peanuts. Don't be afraid of (healthy) fat, it's satiating and will fuel you much better than empty calories.
  • takumaku
    takumaku Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    If you don't have an allergy or medical reason to not eat peanut butter, then it's good.
  • demonlullaby
    demonlullaby Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    i eat it about 3 times a week! just have to make sure it fits into my calorie goal for the day!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    No food is particularly good or bad for weight loss. It's all about your calorie deficit or surplus.

Also, eating peanut butter is a lousy way to boost your protein. As you discovered it's more of a fat than a protein.
  • Mustang_Susie
    Mustang_Susie Posts: 7,045 Member
    Options
    I don't eat them everyday, but I love my pb&j's.
    Like everyone else said, if you can moderate and fit it into your goals, then enjoy :drinker:
  • iyabean
    iyabean Posts: 30
    Options
    Eating fat doesn't make you fat!

With that said, PB is fine as long as you stay within your calorie limit. Also, it isn't a good source of protein. If you're looking to up protein, turn to something else (e.g., meat!).
    I eat peanut butter because it's delicious. And quite healthy, provided it's natural PB and not the junk with sugar or whatever added.
  • challenger9509
    challenger9509 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have it everyday and I get the natural kind in the individual packs to keep my portion in check. It's like a treat to me and keeps me away from sweets. I agree with the others..go for it and watch your numbers. :)