Stop the SNACKING!

Options

Replies

• Willowana
    Willowana Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    Hell no to untimely and constant snacking.....yes. Saying no to snacking entirely? Hell no...lol~

I track everything I eat. If I have the calories, I'll snack. If I don't, then I wait to my next meal. I always plan for ice cream or a sweet treat before bed, because I know I'm going to crave it either way.
  • caterpillardreams
    caterpillardreams Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    I LOVE FOOD.
    but I have learned to just say no,
    And like others limit the junk food in the house, or none at all,
    I watch less "Diners, drive ins and Dives." Cause I always want what I see.
    I try and skip through food commercials, people may think I am crazy , it works for me, they are there to entice,

I drink as much tea as I can, If I am craving I have a little, but I try and do it within my calories, and I watch my sugar intake.

It is not easy, I can not have cookies in the house, they will be gone, but I am getting better.
    I will have treats everyday but in moderation, I do not feel deprived.

You must figure your relationship with food.

It is your will and you have it, you just have to find the strength within you.
  • brisingr86
    brisingr86 Posts: 1,789 Member
    Options
    My issue is snacking out of boredom. I generally plan about 1000 calories for meals and 300 for snacking and make efforts to pick better snacks (yogurt, granola bar) that will fill me up if I'm actually feeling a bit hungry. That being said, I usually have a piece or two of candy/chocolate from the desk next to mine (office supply), but I plan that to fit into my calories. Otherwise, my best defense is keeping my mind (and my hands) busy so I can't snack if I'm not really hungry.
  • Megs081211
    Megs081211 Posts: 150
    Options
    I LOVE FOOD.
    but I have learned to just say no,
    And like others limit the junk food in the house, or none at all,
    I watch less "Diners, drive ins and Dives." Cause I always want what I see.
    I try and skip through food commercials, people may think I am crazy , it works for me, they are there to entice,

I drink as much tea as I can, If I am craving I have a little, but I try and do it within my calories, and I watch my sugar intake.

It is not easy, I can not have cookies in the house, they will be gone, but I am getting better.
    I will have treats everyday but in moderation, I do not feel deprived.

You must figure your relationship with food.

It is your will and you have it, you just have to find the strength within you.

I can't watch Diners, drive ins and Dives because all I want to do when I watch it is eat.
  • EricJonrosh
    EricJonrosh Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Whatever you do make sure it's something you can keep as a lifestyle after you reach your goal weight.
  • fpelletier
    fpelletier Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    I snack daily, I try and balance out my calories so that I have plenty to snack with through out the day but often find myself having to eat more in the evening to use most calories, so I am trying to eat better at each meal.

I still buy junk stuff, but balance it with healthy stuff as well. My 3 kids will eat cookies every day if I let them, but I don't. I try to alternate snacks after school, 1 day is not so healthy stuff the next we do healthy. I love chocolate, so I buy FF versions or low fat versions of the stuff I like, so that I can have it and not feel deprived.
  • michellekicks
    michellekicks Posts: 3,624 Member
    Options
    It's usually caused from an inability to differentiate between actual hunger, and cravings, or boredom.
    + mistaking thirst for hunger.
    ^ Yes.

I snack mindlessly when I'm dehydrated or tired. I should just have a glass of water and take a nap or go to bed.
  • mariechaffins
    Options
    Stop the snacking is RIGHT! I am that person who does great all day and when night comes...nomnom. I m tired and instead of going to bed I snack. See, I even know WHY I do it... Stop the snacking!! It starts right NOW...:happy:
  • tomcornhole
    tomcornhole Posts: 1,084 Member
    Options
    Are sardines a snack? Or tuna or roasted chicken? Goto snacks that I can eat in most any reasonable quantity. I also have peanut butter, olive oil shooters and almonds. I really enjoy those sardines, though.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    intermittent fasting = no snacking
    Pretty much this. However if it does fit my macros, and I have calories left over, I'll snack.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • PippaH101
    PippaH101 Posts: 2
    Options
    It's usually caused from an inability to differentiate between actual hunger, and cravings, or boredom.

My friend just told me about 'delay, distract, decide'. Acknowledge the desire to snack, and give yourself an activity to do, like calling a friend, cleaning the bathroom sink, completing a piece of work etc etc, and then decide if you still have the craving or if you can wait until you prepare something more nutritious.
    I find it a useful thought exercise to stop myself eating from boredom
  • Sjenny5891
    Sjenny5891 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I snill snack on junk. I usually have room via calories and macros, but sometimes I just need it and have to run it off.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I've always been a grazer. I didn't change that when I lost weight. I just planned my whole day's eating, logged it first thing in the morning and then ate from the list the whole day long. As long as you stay in your calorie limits, you will lose weight. As as long as you choose wholesome, real food, you'll feel good too.

Let's see. I need a snack. I've got a sliced tomato with a sprinkle of salt, strawberries with a little coconut, string cheese, blueberry walnut muffins I made myself, some almonds, or air-popped popcorn. What to choose?
  • gingersnaps828
    Options
    I have to snack. Munching on few pretzels now (as opposed to the bag of potato chips I would've had pre-MFP).
  • rosemaryhon
    rosemaryhon Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    There is nothing wrong with snacking as long as it fits within your calories and macros

Yup, my thought as well.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Plan out your snacks and don't do it mindlessly. Take a serving of chips and put the bag away where you can't just reach over and grab it. Snack on low calorie things. YOU SHALL SUCCEED.
  • sznnn
    sznnn Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Try to snack smart. Like veggies instead of chips or if you want chips, take a cup or 20 chips or whatever a measurable serving is and walk away from the bag. :) Drink something hot. I love green tea and it takes me 15 minutes to drink it. Usually when I'm done, the urge to snack is gone.

Good luck!!!
  • hmg90
    hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have the same snacking problem. ALL my snacks are healthy (as in carrots with low fat chive dip), but it's still a problem, because they add up. I am not fond of big meals and eat small ones throughout the entire day. But I get snackish after dinner and have usually filled my calorie limit, even with low-cal food :(
  • lizfiz50
    lizfiz50 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Keeping fruit around helps me out! I've been craving junk food less and it fills you up better.
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Eat 100 times a day if you want. Just don't eat a lot of junk and don't eat more calories than you burn. In fact the more you get active (running for distance for example) the more you'll be snacking every hour or two (recovery).

The problem isn't snacking. It isn't eating at night. It isn't carbs, protein, fats, this, that or the other. It isn't eating meat. It isn't eating veggies. And it isn't not following the special miracle diet. It's people consuming more than they need. It's like filling up a car with gas when you only drive 4 miles a year.