two weeks of overindulgence... help!

Options
I've been overeating all the bad things these past few days, and can't seem to stop! Any words of wisdom to help me jump back onto the bandwagon?

Replies

• cng31183
    cng31183 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    It sounds clichè but you have to figure out how to motivate yourself again to stop. Ive been the same way: the past couple weeks have sucked but today I found a top i fell in love with at the store. The largest size is 2 sizes too small. I bought it anyway and its now hanging on the wall near my fridge where I can see it. Its weird I know but its serving as a reminder. My dinner was great. Just wish id seen the shirt before I went to lunch :laugh: Tomorrow is another day.
  • purple4sure05
    purple4sure05 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Put it behind you and promise yourself that tomorrow you will start over on a clean state. You can't undo what you've done, so there's no need to beat yourself up over it. Try to keep yourself away from foods you're likely to overindulge on and work out extra hard. Good luck! Keep your head up :)
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Take a good look at why you're overeating right now. Are you stressed? Hormonal? Have you been undereating or cutting too much out of your diet? Or maybe you're a boredom eater or tired after a long day and looking for a quick fix. Only you can figure out why you're indulging but once you do identify the cause you'll be much closer to stoppng it.
  • jordanlueder
    Options
    I just had a week of overindulgence myself... I've been feeling pretty down about it, but what has been helping me is just realizing that it is in the past! There's not much you can take back. All you have to do is get back on track with your diet and stick with it (maybe without any treats for a couple weeks). Today was my first day getting back to my workout/eating routine and I already feel better then I did yesterday so that tells me something.
    Just go back to eating healthy and doing a little extra cardio to get rid of any access weight you might have gained. You'll be back to it in no time! Stay positive :)
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    When you find out the answer, throw it my way :smile:
    I'm ok for the week but come weekends I'm a wreck, this week I'm finding it hard to get my groove back on!
  • jsiricos
    jsiricos Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Look in the Mirror, if that doesn't help, nothing will. (works for me)
  • byrnet18
    byrnet18 Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I just had a two month hiatus, but I decided enough was enough. I had been backpacking for 3 weeks and eating fast food on the road in between towns, and then I came home and finished packing and moving to another state. Well I am finally done with most of the moving stuff, so I figured it was time to get back to it. I worked really hard to lose my weight, and I had made exercise and eating healthy a way of life for over 2 years. Once I got back to it, I felt amazing. It really is doing your body justice to feed it right and to make it sweat. Best wishes to you!!
  • kekeleeks
    kekeleeks Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Oh I've been down this road before. What has helped me is just simply starting over and starting with something small. I would tell myself that today is a new day to start over.

And also pin-pointing why you are overindulging. For me it was often related to a lack of planning, I found that if I did not start my week off with having meals prepared I was more susceptible to overindulge because I had no plan/idea of what I was going to eat and everything bad sounded soooo good.

Another thing for me was not eating breakfast or snacks. I'd be so hungry by the time lunch rolled around that I would make unhealthy choices.

Sometimes it was just pure hormonal (experiencing this right now) and I just went with the flow but would also attempt to balance out the bad with the good. Like if I overindulged at one meal, I would be more mindful about what I would eat for the next meal and plan to eat some healthy. Doing this would gradually get me back on the right track.

Good luck and don't let this stop you from your goals. you just have to pick up the pieces and start again
  • Sorce
    Sorce Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've overindulged for 31 years. I'm now serious about getting in shape the right way. If I have a bad day or week I look at why but put it in the past. There is nothing I can do about it but stick to my plan and keep at it. If you're taking 2 steps forward and 1 step back you are still moving forward.
  • erimelania
    erimelania Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you all for the support! I think for me, it's majorly when I can't control every aspect of my meals... lately, I've had to move around lately and have had to entertain a lot of friends, and that required me to eat out a lot. Once I made a booboo, I throw the rest of the day out the window and just binge :<
  • Sorce
    Sorce Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I think that is more of a reason to log everything and be honest. I know I will go out and eat over my anticipated calories for lunch. Seeing what I have left I can make the choice to get some exercise in to give me more calories or try to eat a lower calorie dinner. Even if I can't exercise back the mistake I will still eat a lower calorie dinner to try and minimize the damage. Most of the time the number is under my daily energy expenditure, just not under my goal. I take a note that I need to plan better if I'm craving that particular food and move on. Just keep at it, learn from your mistakes and try to do better next time.
  • kaylindeschanel
    kaylindeschanel Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    we've all been in that same boat where we've overindulged. and we fall into this rut of helplessness where we feel as though there's no point in giving up from this sense of "i've overindulged, why not just chug everything down with it anyway."
    and sometimes, that's what we need - we need the occasional binge to remind ourselves that

1) we're human.

2) maybe we're doing something with our diet that isn't allowing us the long-term benefits of what a lifestyle change entails.

never join in crash diets.
    because they can get you into that attitude.

and let me ask you question -
    when you drop your phone, what do you do? you pick it up again, right?

when you drop your phone, you don't grab a hammar and smash it to pieces.
    so when you begin to overindulge, don't grab all the junk food off the shelve and start inhaling them.
    step back, take a deep breath, go take a shower, clear your head.

start off clean the next day. prepare. reflect. learn. try. persevere.