Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

SUBWAY EATERS - is the chicken breast real chicken?

pannellkat
pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
edited September 20 in Food and Nutrition
I recently started eating at Subway because it's the closest place by my job that I can walk to...and I usually get a turkey on wheat but decided to try their chicken breast recently....is this real meat? It doesn't have the consistency of lets say...when you buy raw chicken breast from the market and cook it.

The subway chicken breast is more...how do you say...."spongy" "like styrofoam"....I can't explain it but does anyone know what I am talking about?
Is it like spam and bologna where there are all types of meats or other ingredients including some parts of chicken in it? Does anyone know?

Replies

• gympamela
    gympamela Posts: 188 Member
    Its pressed chicken, just processed chicken. I try not to look at it or anything when I have a chicken sandwich from there!!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,294 Member
    It is mecanically seperated processed chicken, essentially it is a chicken McNugget without the batter.
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    :sick: I hate subways 'chicken'.
  • estherguas
    estherguas Posts: 113 Member
    I worked there when I was younger and Eric is correct.. so in my opinion No it's not real chicken..lol

I usually stick to the turkey even though it is also not the best quality meat you can get either.
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    I worked there when I was younger and Eric is correct.. so in my opinion No it's not real chicken..lol

I usually stick to the turkey even though it is also not the best quality meat you can get either.

Subway is still FF, what did you expect?
  • bethrs
    bethrs Posts: 664 Member
    The veggie delite is all real vegetables, but most people like some sort of meat on their sandwhich....
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member

Subway is still FF, what did you expect?

There are other FF places that serve grilled chicken breasts and it isn't processed like Subways. But you really can't expect much else from a place that does most of the cooking in microwaves. I used worked at Subway, too, and those patties are already fully-cooked and just need to be reheated. I rarely use my microwave at home. I really don't want to have to pay for microwaved food. :sick:
  • JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    The veggie delite is all real vegetables, but most people like some sort of meat on their sandwhich....
    :love: That's my fav. Loaded down with veggies - no cheese. YUM!
  • pannellkat
    pannellkat Posts: 709 Member
    I think I will have to stop eating there, thats the only real fast food place I go to, I usually eat from home. I had the chicken breast salad today and I kept looking at the meat and it kinda grossed me out.
  • Buy your self a half pound of nitrate-free, msg-free, all that other stuff-free Turkey or chicken breast.

Take 2-4 ounces, whatever fits you calorie goal, to work with you.

Then when you go to Subway, get a veggie delight, no cheese. Load it up with all the veggies they have and add your own meat.

You still get Subway, but you get it your way.

I think that meat is questionable too. Whats even more questionable? Have you ever looked at the meatballs????? :sick:
  • harvbrown7
    harvbrown7 Posts: 1
    Hi LeavingLasVeg, you made a great suggestion. Bring your own meat to the subway shop.
  • Sieden76
    Sieden76 Posts: 127 Member
    The tuna sandwich isn't too terrible. I usually get that or the steak. I can't stand processed meat and the damn sodium levels in everything at subway are through the roof.
  • iggyboo93
    iggyboo93 Posts: 524 Member

^^^ this. The veggie delite is really tasty. The sodium is around 420 mg. The tuna is pretty good too with sodium around 600 mg. (I have to keep my sodium under 1500 mg/day due to HBP). As far as fast food goes, Subway is a much better choice.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    I must be the only person who HATES that veggie delight crap. :laugh:

I typically get a Subway Club. I have it WITH cheese (because evil fats don't scare me) on Italian bread (because evil carbs don't scare me either) with lots of veggies and no condiments (because I don't care for condiments on my sammiches anyway). A 6" sub has only 360 calories, but since my calorie goal is 1800 per day, I typically get the footlong.

But it is a good thing I never get the chicken. After reading this thread, I don't think I ever will...

Not that any of the other meats are somehow "better" but at least they have the appearance and smell of real meat, lol.
  • Dr_Waffles
    Dr_Waffles Posts: 141 Member
    The last time I ate subway, the cucumber and tomato where so thin i could see through them like an open window. Had to ask for double everything in the veggie section. Got the tuna btw, not sure if it's cat food or not.
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Hi LeavingLasVeg, you made a great suggestion. Bring your own meat to the subway shop.
    Excellent first post, resurrect a thread from January 2010 :huh:
  • Lyadeia
    Excellent first post, resurrect a thread from January 2010 :huh:

LOL, I didn't even notice. :laugh:

My response doesn't change though. :drinker:
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    I must be the only person who HATES that veggie delight crap. :laugh:

I typically get a Subway Club. I have it WITH cheese (because evil fats don't scare me) on Italian bread (because evil carbs don't scare me either) with lots of veggies and no condiments (because I don't care for condiments on my sammiches anyway). A 6" sub has only 360 calories, but since my calorie goal is 1800 per day, I typically get the footlong.

But it is a good thing I never get the chicken. After reading this thread, I don't think I ever will...

Not that any of the other meats are somehow "better" but at least they have the appearance and smell of real meat, lol.
    Unless it's different in the US, but over here Subway actually has it written on their menus in the shops that they're "reconstituted meats" (i.e. heavily processed).
  • jessicae1aine
    jessicae1aine Posts: 885

Chicken is chicken, regardless of how it's processed. Ask an employee to show you the box. It is, indeed, actual chicken.
  • Lyadeia
    I've honestly never seen it called "reconstituted meats" on our menus here. If it did say that, I wouldn't eat there. I would buy the ingredients and go home and make it myself (which I tend to do anyway most of the time I want a sandwich).

I suppose that's why they DON'T label it as such here in the US. If they don't *have* to label it that way, they won't. It helps them to lose business by telling people that they serve "fake" food.
This discussion has been closed.