Night shift workers-when do you count your calories?

Options
2»

Replies

• MinimalistShoeAddict
    MinimalistShoeAddict Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    I have my diary set up like this:
    8am-12pm
    12pm-4pm
    4pm-8pm
    8:pm-12am
    12am-4am
    4am-8am
    I record what I eat in the appropriate timeslot. Works for me.

I do exactly this!!
  • xeyda
    xeyda Posts: 7
    Options
    I do midnight to midnight. I work from 3p to 11p, M-F and every third weekend from Friday 3p straight to Monday 7a.

Whatever meal I eat first after midnight, no matter what time I wake up, is 'breakfast'. Next meal is lunch. Then dinner. Sometimes I only eat a snack after midnight before bed. Sometimes I go out with friends, and eat 'breakfast', then hit the hay.

I like the idea of renaming the meals to hour blocks, though. I might do that, if I get persnickety. :)
  • grimendale
    grimendale Posts: 2,153 Member
    Options
    I started out by trying to make one "day" one waking period, but because MFP automatically changes to the current calendar day, it started to get confusing (granted, at the end of my sixth straight 12.5 hour day, I am easily confused). I have therefore started putting food in on the calendar day I eat it, but applying meals out of order. I eat dinner at 7am, so I put that in first, but as dinner. Breakfast goes in at 4 pm and lunch goes in before midnight. It's been easier for me to keep track of that way.
  • Lyadeia
    Lyadeia Posts: 4,603 Member
    Options
    I'd say start from when you get up until you go to to sleep, whatever times that may be.

Exactly this.

I wake up around 3pm and go to bed around 9am. All the food from 3pm today to 9am tomorrow morning is logged "today."

I've been working night shift for 5 years and have been having success doing exactly this.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I have my diary set up like this:
    8am-12pm
    12pm-4pm
    4pm-8pm
    8:pm-12am
    12am-4am
    4am-8am
    I record what I eat in the appropriate timeslot. Works for me.

I do exactly this!!

Here's mine: 2199930_894.jpg
    Seriously though, I just track midnight to midnight.
  • jaderos
    Options
    Tracking midnight to midnight sounds so simple and doable.