Replies

• El_Cunado
    El_Cunado Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I agree a food scale is your best bet.
  • SweetTea111104
    SweetTea111104 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    A food scale would probably solve most of the trouble you're having.

328.gif

I love it!!! Lol!
  • Babeskeez
    Babeskeez Posts: 606 Member
    Options

328.gif

yep
  • R55T
    R55T Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Thanks Twinkiemon, I needed an answer for that too. Thanks for all the response as well. Will get me a food scale tomorrow when the shops are open.
  • klnor88
    klnor88 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Do yourself a favor and invest in a food scale (as cheap as $20) so you know exactly how much you are eating.
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    One thing that was neglected in this thread is that MFP does have an option to create custom recipes. I cook from scratch a lot, and leave the iPad app open on my kitchen counter as I'm preparing my meals and just add ingredients to the recipe as I am adding them to the app. If I add more of something I just adjust the recipe. I don't worry too much about accuracy for things like spices, but if I'm adding more fat or other high calorie ingredients, I make sure the recipe is adjusted. Same with salt (sodium).
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    since no one has mentioned the obvious solution yet, i suggest you just get a scale.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,453 Member
    Options
    If it's difficult to weigh every time, it's worth weighing a couple of times just to get an idea of what a portion looks like. Then you can estimate at other times. If you're dishing out the food, and know the calories of the whole thing, then you can try to judge your portion of it. For instance, if I'm cooking a meal for me and my son, often I'll work out the calories for the whole recipe, then give him 2/3rd and have 1/3rd myself. It saves weighing my portion individually. It's not so accurate as weighing everything, but it's sometimes more practical.
  • FlowersInTheDirt
    FlowersInTheDirt Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I agree, get a scale and start weighing everything. I also just wanted to see these guys again!

328.gif

Yep :)
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Exactly. Too many people worry about being under their calorie goal but that's not even what they should be watching. Macros are more important as well as what kind of foods you're actually eating. I weigh/measure everything I eat. Dipping a spoon into the peanut butter jar does NOT mean that you had one tbsp of peanut butter.
    At the risk of beating a dead horse: food scale and measure everything.

As a side note, leaving 77 calories "available" isn't going to help you. It's about food QUALITY more than QUANTITY and calories are only a fraction of the whole scheme.

Don't make it more difficult than it is. For most people calorie reduction IS the answer. Quantity beats quality when you're talking about weight loss every single time.

You might want to read about the twinky diet:
    http://edition.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08/twinkie.diet.professor/index.html

A nutrition professor that went followed a twinkie diet and lost 27lbs and became HEALTHIER in the process. That's not to say that some food choices aren't better than others, but it does show that weight loss equals calorie restriction.
  • kay930
    kay930 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Sure no problem :) Glad I could help!