How much damage have I done?

Options
I had done great last week in terms of eating and exercise. Yesterday was a different ball game altogether-I ate nearly 600 calories above my TDEE-no exercise. It wasn't all healthy food either...chips and ice cream figured in too.Have I undone most of my progress? Any advice appreciated!

Replies

• WilmaDennis91
    WilmaDennis91 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    One day of bad food will not get you fat. If you're doing so well the week before, then you're fine. Just pick up where you left off and don't fret. :)

Treat yourself every once in a while! You deserve it!
  • dsalveson
    dsalveson Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    600 calories is not that much and will likely have no impact on your progress if you've done good the rest of the week. Just forget about it and make this week another great week!
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Eat little to no carbs to make up for your bad day. Protein and vegetables are fine.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    600 calories is not that much and will likely have no impact on your progress if you've done good the rest of the week. Just forget about it and make this week another great week!

She didn't exercise so it's closer to 800.
  • iwillbetinytea
    iwillbetinytea Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Don't be silly :) Water weight, yes you may gain a bit...but it'll be gone in a few days :D
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Wear a hair shirt and lash yourself with heavy chains to atone for your sin, or forget about it and move on. Me, I'd go for the latter, it's no big deal in the grand scheme of things.
  • SeaStar
    SeaStar Posts: 113
    Options
    I've had days of going over thousands of calories. Sometimes you just gotta enjoy yourself.
  • capriqueen
    capriqueen Posts: 974 Member
    Options

She didn't exercise so it's closer to 800.

Oh I meant 600 calories over my sedentary TDEE. Somewhere between 2400-2500.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    600 calories really isn't very much.

And as always I feel compelled to point out that saying "don't eat carbs, eat vegetables" is non-sensical. Vegetables are carbs.
  • Cobnut
    Cobnut Posts: 10
    Options
    I honestly don't know if having an off day like that would impact on your weight-loss plan, but I see things a different way...you can't undo what you did so don't beat yourself up worrying about the possible damage you've done. If you were told "Oh yes, those extra calories mean XYZ" would you feel better? Possibly not. Just ignore it, get back on track, and try not to make binges regular occurrences. It's too easy to feel depressed after lapsing and so many don't eat properly when they're depressed.
  • missybct
    missybct Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    One day off isn't going to make you fat, just like one day of healthy eating won't make you thin. It's a massive cliché, but it took us weeks/months/years to get overweight/obese (etc) - it wasn't one day where we ate a bit more that led us down that path.

The great thing is you recognised you went over - we're human and we are all allowed days off now and then. Recognise how you feel - get back on track and own it! xxx
  • capriqueen
    Options
    I guess you're right. It's just that I workout so hard that the thought that I've probably gone back a little is unnerving. Maybe I shouldn't obsess so much, though.
  • AbsoluteNG
    Options
    600 calories really isn't very much.

And as always I feel compelled to point out that saying "don't eat carbs, eat vegetables" is non-sensical. Vegetables are carbs.

You seem to be missing the point or maybe you just don't know? I'll try and keep it simple as there are a lot of factors that come into play. People call it carb cycling but i just call it basic biology. Most people who binge, will binge on carbs like chips, donuts, or icecream in the case of the OP. Now, we know that carbs are stored in the muscle and liver to be used at a later date. Once those two places are full, any extra carbs will spill over and be converted to fat. If the OP binged enough on her icecream, what she eats the next date could potentially be converted to fat. As you said earlier, vegetables are crabs but their calorie count compared to ice cream or donuts are so low that it really doesn't matter how much you eat as your carb count will come out low.
  • MissMormie
    MissMormie Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    Not sure what you're daily calorie deficit is. But let's assume you've set up MFP to lose 1lbs per week. That's 3500 calories deficit or 500 calories per day.

Since you ate well 6 days of the week, that's a 3000 kcal deficit. Now yesterday you went over 600. So your total deficit for the week is 2400 (3000-600). If you ate well yesterday too that could've been a deficit of 3500.

3500 - 2400 = 1100 So, your total deficit this week is 1100 kcal lower than it could've been. At a 500 deficit this means your total weight loss journey will take an extra 2 days. Not really something to stress about right?

As long as you keep up a deficit on the long run (week/months) the actual day-by-day calories aren't all that important.
  • AmberleyAngel
    AmberleyAngel Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    Some people look at their weekly stats rather than daily. This may help give you a little perspective on how one indulgent day won't do too much damage in the long run - and weight loss is a 'long run' kind of thing.

You made choices to eat what you did. Fine. Tomorrow you do what you were doing last week - eat well, eat healthy, exercise. It would only be bad if you had no idea how much you'd ingested and kept it up as a daily consumption. Perhaps think of it as a mid-year Christmas. ;)
  • capriqueen
    Options
    My total deficit for last week was 4400-4500. The calories I got from ice-cream and chips each would be ~200.
    Anyway, I'm getting in stuff like low-cal sandwich and stuff today, feeling a little better.
  • dimsumkitty
    dimsumkitty Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    One lb of weight loss is 3100 calories. You can work out for yourself how far you're behind ;)