If I have calories left for the day...

Options
...can I eat 'less healthy' foods (although in small portions, as a treat)?

MFP set my calorie goal for 1400 per day. I work out 6 days a week with an hour of cardio each, which MFP lists as burning about 500 calories. I often eat smaller breakfasts and lunches, so I usually have a large amount of calories left by the end of the night. Sometimes my net will be as low as 500 by midnight.

Post-workout, I usually eat less healthy. I'll have a bag of Smart Pop popcorn (242 cals per bag) and then a mini-cup of Edy's slow churned ice cream (180 cals). Even after that, I usually have 400 calories left before my goal.

My question is, is it okay for me to be eating these things? I am trying to enjoy my favorite foods (i.e. ice cream) but just in much smaller portions. I'm not losing weight rapidly or anything so I'm worried these foods are possibly holding me back?

Replies

• MysticRealm
    MysticRealm Posts: 1,264 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate nearly everyday.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Calories is calories! Eat what you like, as long as you consume less than you expend you will lose weight. The food might not be healthy though.
  • Markguns
    Markguns Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    Post-workout, I usually eat less healthy........... that's when you need to eat healthy your body is hungry and rebuilding itself.
    Take a look at this I just saw today;
    http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/list/201305/10-best-foods-eat-post-workout#2
  • 89nunu
    89nunu Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    As long as you meet your macros... (especially your protein) eat whatever! I have chocolate or ice cream daily, or chocolate ice cream :love:
  • LaurenLouG
    LaurenLouG Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    MFP tends to overestimate the calories burned through exercise, it's best to not eat back all of your exercise cals (I only eat back half)
  • vstraughan
    vstraughan Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    MFP tends to overestimate the calories burned through exercise, it's best to not eat back all of your exercise cals (I only eat back half)

I've only just started doing ^^^this^^^ but have dropped 1.5lb already, so I'll jump on ^^^ this^^^ bandwagon
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    Are they holding you back? Are you getting the results you want? If not, then your answer is maybe you should have better 'treats' if they aren't making any difference then continue to do what you are doing.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    As long as you meet your macros... (especially your protein) eat whatever! I have chocolate or ice cream daily, or chocolate ice cream :love:

Yep
  • louloulou
    louloulou Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I eat chocolate nearly everyday.

me too! Infact I am about to eat a little bit now as it is the end of the day in my corner of the world.