Body Fortress protein shakes for weight loss?

Options
I'm a 24-year-old female, 5'7", and I weigh around 148lbs. I lost 45-50lbs on my own a few years ago (I used to weigh around 190lbs). I've been the same weight for around 2 and a half years now, despite trying many different diets to lose the last ten pounds. I would like to weigh about 136-138lbs. I'm getting really frustrated at this point.

To lose weight, and because I am a vegetarian and need more protein, I've been using 'Body Fortress Super Advanced Whey Protein Powder' as a meal replacement shake. I have two scoops for breakfast every morning with water, a banana, and a teaspoon of peanut butter. I always deduct my protein shakes from my daily caloric intake of 1,400 calories. I will also have a half a scoop to full scoop with water to either replace dinner or along with solid food depending on how many calories I have left to consume for the day. I eat a normal vegetarian lunch and don't replace that though.

I work out four to five days a week and do 60 mins of brisk walking and 45 minutes on my elliptical cross-trainer. My net calories are usually around 500-700 something. I read that this particular protein powder actually makes you gain weight, so I'm concerned that I'm putting pounds on myself by using this instead of losing weight. I thought I was starting to appear leaner, but now I'm a bit paranoid! Does anyone else have experience with this particualr protein powder and can tell me if I'm using it correctly?

Any advice or tips would be appreciated! I really want to tone up and get this weight off already!

Replies

• Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Tip: dump that gutter protein and get a higher quality one.
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Okay buddy.

To the OP. Body Fortress is perfectly fine to be used to hit your protein goals. You're not going to gain weight on 1,400 calories. Protein powder can't make you gain weight on it's own. You gain weight by consuming over your caloric maintenance.
  • CariVonMonroe
    Options
    Any recommendations?
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Any recommendations?
    Yes, you're doing too much cardio. Drop the elliptical nonsense and just walk. If I read that correctly, you're currently doing 4-6 days of cardio?
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options

My net calories are usually around 500-700 something.

There your problem you need to be eating more, Eg eat your exercise cals back you need to be netting AT LEST 1200

edit: That could be why your stuggling to loose that last little bit, sorry don't know anything about protein powder

Good luck :flowerforyou:
  • CariVonMonroe
    Options
    Any recommendations?
    Yes, you're doing too much cardio. Drop the elliptical nonsense and just walk.

I solely did that before actually, but found that I wasn't losing any more weight that way. I'm open to giving it another try though.
  • CariVonMonroe
    Options

My net calories are usually around 500-700 something.

There your problem you need to be eating more, Eg eat your exercise cals back you need to be netting AT LEST 1200

edit: That could be why your stuggling to loose that last little bit, sorry don't know anything about protein powder

Good luck :flowerforyou:

Thank you! I found that bit somewhat confusing. I'll give it a try!
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    1) eat more. You should not be netting 500-700 calories. This is why you're having trouble shifting those last few pounds.
    2) BF will not make you gain weight unless you're in a calorie surplus; that is, ingesting more calories than you burn...but you're not doing that, so don't worry about it
  • CariVonMonroe
    Options
    Okay buddy.

To the OP. Body Fortress is perfectly fine to be used to hit your protein goals. You're not going to gain weight on 1,400 calories. Protein powder can't make you gain weight on it's own. You gain weight by consuming over your caloric maintenance.

Thanks for clearing that up!
  • Pearlyladybug
    Pearlyladybug Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    1) eat more. You should not be netting 500-700 calories. This is why you're having trouble shifting those last few pounds.
    2) BF will not make you gain weight unless you're in a calorie surplus; that is, ingesting more calories than you burn...but you're not doing that, so don't worry about it

yip
  • StaceySuperfly
    StaceySuperfly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I like to stir it into my oatmeal so I get protein with my breakfast. And yes, I think you can lose those last 10 pounds if you eat more, you need to net at least 1200 calories to keep your metabolism from getting sluggish. Relax, you think you look leaner because you are, the protein is great to not only keep you full but help you gain lean muscle with exercise. Good luck reaching your goal!
  • angrybirdfunny
    Options
    Don't stop. Just try and try and try and never say die.
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Your maintenance is over 2300 calories. Your metabolism is shot because you have been consuming a very low amount of calories. Your body has become too efficient with a very small amount of calories. You should be more concerned on how you can fix that, instead of how to loose the weight.
  • chu604
    chu604 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

Body Fortress is perfectly fine....
    Its a protein blend of concentrate&isolate and has a few other beneficial ingredients.
    Also tastes ok in my opinion.

Yeah there are better proteins out there, no doubt.
    But if you're on a budget or "inbetween" proteins this is a good choice.
  • hayzeus1216
    Options
    It is my opinion that you may not be spacing out your meals to keep your metabolism going. 4-6 meals daily with a caloric intake relative to how intense your daily routine is. If you're going to the gym every day, your caloric intake needs to be more, not less. You're starving your body into storage mode. 2200 calories spaced out throughout the day, with 40% of that being protein. It's tried and true.
  • tyraun_b
    tyraun_b Posts: 65
    Options
    I agree with hayzeus1216
  • elizabethadams1
    Options
    I also tried protein shakes before but find the organic supplements more effective.. since I'm a little lazy and doesnt have a lot of time to prepare the shakes.. I drink this organic supplements instead. :) I can tell that this is much more effective than the protein shakes that i drink before. :) I hope this link helps!!!

http://www.amazon.com/SVETOL-Coffee-Extract-Softgels-Clinically-Proven/dp/B009HMVDF8
  • CariVonMonroe
    Options
    Thanks for the help, everyone. I was a bit confused about the whole 'net calories' thing. I'm eating more and aiming for 1,200 net calories a day and supplementing with the protein powder to meet protein requirements, but not as a meal replacement anymore. I'm cutting my cardio down to 50 min brisk walks and 10 mins on the cross-trainer 6 days a week.

Hope this'll work! I am feeling better already. :)