Did you jump right into TDEE or gradually increase calories?

Options
Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering for those of you that are doing TDEE did you go immediately up to TDEE-20% (or 10 or 15%) or did you gradually up your calories? My TDEE -20% is about 1700 calories but since I've been eating at 1200 calories for so long I'm gradually increasing it. I'm up to about 1450 calories. The thing is I've been doing it for a couple weeks now and while I lost a little at first I've plateaued yet again. Should I just go up to 1700 now or can I still keep gradually increasing it? Thank you!!!

Replies

• Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I ended up having about the same calories on TDEE - 20% as I was eating with MFP anyway, so I just went straight into it. The main difference was that I was eating the same every day.

I think some people eat at TDEE (without the cut) for a while, to "reset".
  • SaraBrown12
    SaraBrown12 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I am in the same boat as you and would be interested to learn how to move from 1200 up to maintain. I don't even know what me tdee is TBH, I am DREADING having to do this switch so advice would be great xxx
  • casy84
    casy84 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I upped my cals from 1200 to 1400 and stalled for a while(1 month I think). This week I noticed I lost some weight, so I upped them again to 1500. I have no idea if this is the right way.
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I upped my cals from 1200 to 1400 and stalled for a while(1 month I think). This week I noticed I lost some weight, so I upped them again to 1500. I have no idea if this is the right way.

It sounds like we're in the same boat! I actually stalled and then gained a little bit so I'm thinking maybe I should go up a bit but I just don't know. Everyone here is so knowledgeable about TDEE so I'm hoping other people have been in our shoes as well.
  • Lifting_Knitter
    Lifting_Knitter Posts: 1,025
    Options
    I jumped right into it and it was glorious!
  • fakeuntilumakeit
    Options
    Following this as similar scenario, going from 1200 to about 1400 presently and seeing how this goes first off before increasing anymore. Does any one know how to set intake for 1400 , without the exercise allowance increasing it. I want to log my exercise but when I do it automatically increases my calorie allowance.
  • Ninhydrin
    Ninhydrin Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I jumped right in at TDEE - 20% ( I am eating around 1800 calories a day now, whereas I was consuming 1000 a day if I was lucky prior to that).

Worked perfectly and I didn't gain any weight to begin with, my plateau broke immediately. I've been losing roughly 1kg to 1.5kg per week since then.

I think if you've been punishing your body with a very low calorie intake for a considerably long time, then try the reset option first - where you eat at maintenance / TDEE every day for a few weeks. Otherwise jump straight in.

Regarding exercise logging: I log my exercise as having burned only 1 calorie, so I have record that I exercised, but it doesn't impact your daily goal. Be prepared for people to ask you a lot of questions about the 'weird calorie burned estimate' though.