My First Ever 5K

Options
I am registered for the Zombie: Run for your life 5k. The one I am attending is 5 months away, so I want to start training. This will be my very first 5k. Any tips on preparing for it?

Replies

• Trimi
    Trimi Posts: 57
    Options
    Do you have a smartphone? If so, you can download one of the many Couch to 5K apps that have built-in training routines for you (they're usually abbreviated as C25K or such on app stores). The important thing to remember is to train regularly (at least 3 times a week), even on days when you just don't feel it. Also important: push yourself to your limits, but don't do so if you're feeling heavy pain. Recovery is important, so don't run every day. You need at least 24 consecutive hours of recovery every week.

Good luck!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    The best way to do it is to find a partner / running group to keep yourself motivated. There are lots of couch-to-5k programs so maybe you can find one in your area.

If you can't do that, find an online training program. Hal Higdon, Galloway, or Runner's World are good bets. When you first start, you'll be doing more walking than running. Just keep it up and pretty soon you'll be running 3+ miles nonstop.
  • WonTaunTaun
    WonTaunTaun Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Great advice. Getting pumped. Thanks guys! :)
  • TheGuardian
    TheGuardian Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Ditto the C25K routine, and it really only takes just over 2 months to get you running 5Ks, which will leave several months for you to improve your times.
  • MorganLeighRN
    MorganLeighRN Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Run and cross train. This one was my first race last year and it was so much fun! You will run in short spurts and than wait in line for the obstacle, run, wait, etc. Make sure that you wear clothes that you won't mind getting filthy. Bring extra clothes (even undies), shoes, and a towel for afterwards. Most of all, HAVE FUN!!! It is a great starter 5K obstacle.
  • Flab2fitfi
    Flab2fitfi Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    There is also the zombie run 5K training app. You have to pay for it but it is pretty good.
  • mwain001
    mwain001 Posts: 13
    Options
    Yep, C25K is likely your best bet, but throw some other other fitness training in as well. Usually, I think the zombie runs involve some obstacles as well as running so just being able to run up to 5k might not be quite enough. Start on c25k now (you can get a podcast for it if you don't have a smartphone that will run the app), then perhaps look at extending your distance beyond this so that you'll have the necessary degree of fitness to run the distance AND deal with the obstacles (not to mention, avoiding flesh eating zombies :0)
  • SieSie76
    SieSie76 Posts: 60
    Options
    I've never done a 5K run myself. Having been in and out of the hospital for the past year has kept me out of shape. However, I wanted to come and give my full support and wish you luck!! Should be quite a fun-filled experience~ :D
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    Oh,how fun!!!! I want to do a zombie run! Do couch to 5k. Great program. But 5 months is a long time to train for a 5k. You might want to consider signing up for another 5k before that one. They are a lot of fun. Here is the link to the program.
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • imlewer
    imlewer Posts: 15
    Options
    I did that last year, and I am an avid runner / triathlete. This race is nothing like a standard 5k, so training for a standard 5k wont really translate the same. The obstacles really throw a wrench into the actual running part of the race.
  • bostonwolf
    bostonwolf Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    Another vote for C25K to get you started, then go from there. Good luck!
  • athenasurrenders
    athenasurrenders Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I also wanted to recommend the Zombies run 5k training app. It will get you in the mood for your zombie run and it's a good programme.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Couch to 5K
    Get fitted for running shoes (at a running specialty store) if you haven't already
    Check out this website: www.goodformrunning.com - take a form clinic if you can find one near you
    Stretch and drink lots of water
    Do cross training (spinning, swimming, yoga, weight lifting, whatever appeals to you) 2 days a week
  • 55in13
    55in13 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options
    I did my own version of C25K. I mapped out a route in my neighborhood that is a full 5K but has some spots where I could take a turn to shorten it when I was starting. I started by walking mostly, jogging some and getting home about 45 minutes or less after I left. At first I did little running and was still winded. I just listened to my body (sort of; I did push myself) and increased things slowly. It took me about 2 months before I ran the whole thing. That was about a month ago. Since then, I pretty much always run the whole thing and have actually lengthened it a little. I arrive back home less than a half hour after I leave and while I am sweating I am breathing normally. Last week I ran (with a few interspersed short walks) 7 miles just to see if I could push myself further. Zombie sounds like fun!
  • imlewer
    imlewer Posts: 15
    Options
    Couch to 5K
    Get fitted for running shoes (at a running specialty store) if you haven't already
    Check out this website: www.goodformrunning.com - take a form clinic if you can find one near you
    Stretch and drink lots of water
    Do cross training (spinning, swimming, yoga, weight lifting, whatever appeals to you) 2 days a week

DO: Get fitted for shoes.
    DONT: Wear them for this race. You will ruin them and need to get an entirely new pair. Wear something busted and old for this one.
  • WonTaunTaun
    WonTaunTaun Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm very eager to start training. I'm also glad that I have plenty of time to slowly transition to being 5k ready. :)