Video games and working out

One of my biggest issues with actually working out is that if I have time, I probably rather want to sit down and play something for an hour or ten.
I've started to tone AND game at the same time, and I was wondering if anyone else has a system like this?
Before I sit down, I figure out a chart like the one below depending on the gameplay and difficulty, but it's usually something like this:
Use a small health item- 5 jumping jacks
Use a large health item- 10 jumping jacks
Die/use a reviving item- 3 pushups
Reload ammo- 2 crunches
MP type item- 5 squats
Game over- All of the above x2

and then I adjust it, add or drop categories, change up the exercises or move around the numbers depending on the kind of game or how I feel.

again, does anyone else do this?

Replies

• 61keys
    61keys Posts: 20 Member
    I cannot say that I do that but I do use the Xbox and/or Wii. The Nike person trainer came with the kid's Xbox. It was a little scary starting but now that we are into it we like it. I also have Gold's Gym cardio for the wii along with the Wii fit. The sports on both game boxes are kind of fun too - especially when there is some competition.
  • meagank28
    meagank28 Posts: 52
    What an awesome way to combine! Way to work it out!
  • PosterPens
    PosterPens Posts: 172 Member
    haha thats amazing.
  • thesupremeforce
    thesupremeforce Posts: 1,206 Member
    That gave me a chuckle. Well played (pun intended, as they tend to be).
  • Rena42
    Rena42 Posts: 66 Member
    I love it! What a great idea!
  • LComp79
    LComp79 Posts: 9
    We make use of the PS3 move and if you use it like you would do in real life e.g. tennis, it does get the heart rate up. Personally, boxing works up a real sweat and leaves me breathless. And its fun!! You could also try any of the fitness games like Zumba and Mel B's workouts. I recently purchased UFC Personal Tainer : The Ultimate Fitness System and it gives you serious workouts. You can also follow a 30 or 60 day program where it will track your progress.
  • bleedingdesu
    bleedingdesu Posts: 63 Member
    We make use of the PS3 move and if you use it like you would do in real life e.g. tennis, it does get the heart rate up. Personally, boxing works up a real sweat and leaves me breathless. And its fun!! You could also try any of the fitness games like Zumba and Mel B's workouts. I recently purchased UFC Personal Tainer : The Ultimate Fitness System and it gives you serious workouts. You can also follow a 30 or 60 day program where it will track your progress.
    admittedly, none of the fitness type games do it for me, I've never been a video sports type person, and I hate workout videos.
    Now, if they made some kind of Silent Hill/move hybrid, I would be all over that.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Great idea. I used to do pull ups whenever Battlefield 2 was loading up the next map but I got really sore as it took a while to load. :laugh:
  • Zomoniac
    Zomoniac Posts: 1,169 Member
    I find the 45 second load screens that seem to appear every 5 minutes in Skyrim a good time to get in a set of pushups or something. Some really slow paced games I just jog on the spot whilst playing. Works extra well with text-heavy handheld stuff like the Ace Attorney series or Layton, just bounce around the room whilst playing it to get my FitBit numbers up.
  • ddzubow
    ddzubow Posts: 65 Member
    Can't say I've worked out a complex system like that, but I did set up a TV with my xbox in front of my elliptical. Only time I let myself play is when I exercise :)
  • bfinup
    bfinup Posts: 47
    I've done something like this before. I use to do push-ups/sit ups every time I ended a period in NHL 12/13.