HRM-TDEE=?

Options
So I went for a 45min. jog/walk today and my HRM told me I burned 357 calories. Yahoo! But that got me thinking. If I was wearing my HRM during that time and just sitting around watching tv, I still would've burned some calories. So my question is... do you subtract your TDEE calories from the calories the HRM gives you? So for example... my TDEE is about 1800. Which means I burn 1.25 calories every minute just living my life. 45x1.25= 56.25. So did I burn 357 calories or only 300.75?

Does this make any sense?

Replies

• missemily1124
    missemily1124 Posts: 102
    Options
    bump
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    Theoretically you should but most people don't bother. Just a good idea not to eat back every exercise calorie you burn.
  • invisibubble
    invisibubble Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    Put simply it depends if your HRM factors in your sedentary living calories or not when it gives you the number.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think it's HRM - BMR.

You want to subtract the calories that you would burn during the time you exercised if you had just decided to sit on the couch(BMR....your TDEE should include normal daily activity and thus be higher). Before I got my fitbit (because I thought the other way was just too much math), I'd always log 80% of my exercise calories burned. Now I log the total burn, because of the way fitbit calculates calories.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    I lost 35 pounds doing exactly this! Yes subtract your resting calories, it'll make you feel better and more accurate. :)
  • DesignGuy
    DesignGuy Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    TDEE is total daily energy expenditure, which means it includes everything (running, sleeping, sitting, etc).

I believe what you mean is your net burn, which is your energy output minus your resting metabolic rate (RMR). So if you exercise for an hour and burn 500 cals according to your HRM, you'd deduct your normal RMR for that time (let's say 75). This means you netted 425 burned calories.

The simple way to do all this crap is simply to take TDEE - desired deficit = cals you can consume.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    You nailed it.
    Tables of calories burn and HRM's do not remove calories that would have been burned anyway, they are totally estimating what the total burn was during that time.

And actually, since you are in a diet with a planned amount of activity anyway, what is actually account for during that time is your non-exercise TDEE.

Which true may only be 83 calories (2000/24 say) in an hr, but if you did a long walk that wasn't burning that much anyway, your eatback isn't that much.

Here's a place to put in walking that will be more accurate that HRM anyway, if you can get the speed and grade down at least, and when you select the NET goal, that would be total eatback, not the Gross goal.

http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/WalkRunMETs.html
  • missemily1124
    missemily1124 Posts: 102
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks for the responses guys.