First set of weights

Options
Nyksta
Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
Hello.

I am near on completing the 30 day shred but have been doing it without using weights (I've been using bottles of water :D).

I am planning to buy some weights and then in a few weeks starting the 30 day shred again.

Could anybody advise on the weight I should start out with? I want to push myself since this would be the second time of following this routine. I'm not planning on using weights in other exercise YET but may do in the future.

Thanks

Nyk

Replies

• terrappyn
    terrappyn Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    Curious to know what people recommend!
  • mperrott2205
    mperrott2205 Posts: 737 Member
    Options
    Hello.

I am near on completing the 30 day shred but have been doing it without using weights (I've been using bottles of water :D).

I am planning to buy some weights and then in a few weeks starting the 30 day shred again.

Could anybody advise on the weight I should start out with? I want to push myself since this would be the second time of following this routine. I'm not planning on using weights in other exercise YET but may do in the future.

Thanks

Nyk

You lift for you. Only you can know what weight you can lift.

Find a weight that you can do for an entire set, but when you get to the final rep, your arms become insanely heavy and it's a struggle.
  • agggie550
    agggie550 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/weider-speedweight-adjustable-dumbbell-set/0000000039873?utm_source=googleps&utm_medium=shopping+search&utm_campaign=google+product search&gslfah&gclid=CMHcjZ3npLcCFcad4AodP0oAVA

Adjustable, weights aren't cheap, and this gives you the option of a lot of different weights for about the same price but only taking up the space of one set.
  • jess7386
    jess7386 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    I'd buy a pair of 5's, 10s, and 15s. This should be enough weight for your first go around. The bonus here too is that dumbbells of this weight are not too expensive.

Alternatively, you could buy adjustable weights. They make ones that go up to 15 lbs and up to 25 lbs (and also 50lbs!)

Good luck!
  • KarleeS92
    KarleeS92 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    When I first done the 30DS I only started out with 1kg weights, just because it was the first time I had ever done anything like that. It ached sooooo good! But seeing as you have already done one lot of it and have used weights (your water bottles) I'd recommend no less than 3kg. Even if you start out smaller, and see what it feels like, If you feel it burning before you even finish the first exercise then great! But if it isn't up the weight. Hope this helps :)
  • Nyksta
    Nyksta Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I guess I need to go along to an actual shop and get a feel of each size? My husband used to have some but I don't know what we did with them or how heavy they were.

All of your advise really helps though :)

I will deffo look into the adjustable ones though I am on a limit with the price!
  • sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    I'm doing that one now with the 8 lb weights. I have done other workouts with lifting though beforehand. I would suggest to start with a 4 or 5 lb set of weights and then if that seems to light to increase it.