Cutting out dairy - need meal and snack ideas!

Options
jqh23
jqh23 Posts: 311 Member
The last week I have started feeling really sick after meals/snacks.. I have identified that it is coming from dairy. I am going to see my doctor soon, but in the meantime I am just not consuming any dairy (save for greek yogurt products, as those seem to be fine for me). It's crazy how much I relied on dairy before for snacks or an easy side dish - cheese or cottage cheese were staples for me. I am looking for some creative ideas from others who do not consume dairy.

Other food allergies include all fruits and veggies that have a seed or pit.

Andddd go! (thanks!)

Replies

• sreastham
    sreastham Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Visit your health food store or organic section of the grocery store. I used to use soy cheese but have found that soy can cause other problems. However, there are other alternatives coming out every day, almond and rice milk just to name a few. At least you can find these now. I used to have to run water and blanched, peeled almonds through a blender and then cheesecloth so that my kids had something to use as milk. They were allergic to everything. Besides all this, if you are using it for calcium forget it. Cows don't drink milk - they get it from grass. I do know how you feel though. Cheese, bread and wine are my favorite things but happen to be the worst for my weight. So trying to get off those now.
  • jqh23
    Options
    I stopped drinking cow's milk in January and only drink almond milk.. which, by the way, sucks in my coffee. My step-dad is LT and I was there yesterday and tried his Lacataid in my coffee and I preferred it much more than the almond milk - bluh.
  • affacat
    affacat Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I stopped drinking cow's milk in January and only drink almond milk.. which, by the way, sucks in my coffee. My step-dad is LT and I was there yesterday and tried his Lacataid in my coffee and I preferred it much more than the almond milk - bluh.

i dislike soy and almond (and cow) milk in my coffee. however, i love rice milk in my coffee. rice milk has the least distinct taste of the milks, is the thinnest, and never separates like some soymilk brands do.

i never thought i liked almond milk at all till recently i discovered it works well when i make my steel cut oats (creamier than rice, and the other flavors hide the almond).
  • jqh23
    Options
    Thanks, I will have to try out the rice milk too!
  • WhoButME28
    WhoButME28 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Almond milk is indeed pretty bad in coffee but it's really good in Nestle's fat free cocoa powder. It's my way of a tasty drink in the AM since I can't have coffee if its not with regular skim milk which I gave up a while ago.
  • AJL437
    AJL437 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    For snacks - I like whole almonds - a 1/4 cup is 170 calories and very filling. I also enjoy celery with hummus or peanut butter; slices of cold cuts like salami or turkey, chopped up carrots with a little green onion, ready pac salads from the supermarket, and green drink smoothies.
  • Bekahmardis
    Bekahmardis Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant, but I love my dairy, so I simply take Lactaid when I can't stand it any more and need a cheese or ice cream "boost"....but I keep it minimal usually so one or two tablets work for me. I can't stand the taste of Almond or Soy milks...