Newbie here..

Options
My daily is 1200, followed it for a week and no loss. However, my carbs were a little higher. Could that be why I didn't lose weight?
Plus not drinking 8 glasses of water. About 2 a day. HELP!!!

Replies

• healthygreek
    healthygreek Posts: 2,137 Member
    Options
    Make sure you're weighing, measuring and logging every bite! Eat plenty of veggies along with your proteins and some fruit. Minimal fast food/proccessed foods. Eat back 1/2 to all of your exercise calories. Drink plenty of water. Move your body!
    Look at this as a lifestyle change not diet. Have patience-you will lose.
  • gotttammi
    gotttammi Posts: 10
    Options
    Thanks :) I exercise 5 days a week by walking during my work lunch. I count those calories burned as bonus calories. I keep them in the bank and don't use them, unless I am in a jam.
    I do eat veggies and proteins. Fruits, have calories?? See I am new to this. Maybe that's my problem. I need to begin at basics.
  • Tamm04
    Tamm04 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I"m learning it all too. I've been here 15 days and still figuring it out. I've 31 lbs to lose yet. Add me if you wish :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Thanks :) I exercise 5 days a week by walking during my work lunch. I count those calories burned as bonus calories. I keep them in the bank and don't use them, unless I am in a jam.
    I do eat veggies and proteins. Fruits, have calories?? See I am new to this. Maybe that's my problem. I need to begin at basics.

MFP is set up to work by eating back exercise calories.
  • Jarice12
    Jarice12 Posts: 135 Member
    Options

This may or may not work for a while, but for your health and overall weight loss, you will need to start eating your exercise calories back. Netting under 1200 on a regular basis is not healthy and actually slows your metabolism. I'm not an expert but I've done alot of reading and tried lowering and increasing my calories several times. I know its hard to wrap your mind around, was for me too, but eating more (and healthier) burns more fat.
  • gottogetinshape
    gottogetinshape Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Is your goal 1200 because that's what MFP set it to? MFP did that for me and when I used a TDEE calculator, I found that I was eating way too little.

You can find out your TDEE here: http://www.fitnessfrog.com/calculators/tdee-calculator.html and then calculate a deficit and set your goal to that number. Don't set your deficit too high (maximum 20% deficit but 10%-15% is probably best) as you don't want to starve your body. You may know all this already but I thought I'd mention it just in case. Good luck and best wishes with your MFP challenge. You've come to the right place! :)
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Yes.. everything has calories.. even spinach, lettuce and celery...

Only water is calorie free and some spices..

Log everything.. even that dash of milk you put in your coffee in the morning..

a little here a little there adds up..

It's easier once you start to realize exactly what you are eating.. I was amazed at how little I was eating when I started tracking. I thought for sure i was over eating, turned out I was under eating. I had to learn to feed myself properly. it gets eaiser, but you have to decide to keep at it everyday.

Also. more water = less food.. you're probalby mistaking thirst singals for hunger ones.. its' the most commong mistake people make.. I drink more then 8 glasses a day.. way more.. lots of water is good for your skin too.
  • gotttammi
    Options
    So if it works by eating back let's say my 200 calories of walking then my 1200 cals go up to 1300 cals a day?
  • gotttammi
    Options
    Yes, the MFP stated that my food intake should be 1200. I have averaged 1100 and did not count my walking calories. So my guess is that I am eating too little and my body is in starvation mode. Thanks guys.
  • scottgobuck
    scottgobuck Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    As several people have said you cannot under eat and lose weight , it is not healthy and will slow down your metabolism in addition to that you will start losing muscle instead of fat and more muscle equals a higher metabolism. I would also recommend more exercise, do something to get your heart rate up, you dont have to be a full fledge athlete to do some cardio and weight work. You wil be surprised how quickly you will feel better and look better. I was at 312 pounds 3 years ago , I am down to 200 now and I eat between 3-4000 calories per day, if you do the work you can eat the calories but good calories. As someone mentioned before its not a diet , it is a life style change that neds to be done slowly so you dont feel like you are being deprived of anything.