is any one doing the fast diet?

Options
2 days quarter of your daily calories 'fast days' and the other days just eat normal, just out of curiosity really Im quite happy with what Im doing at the minute. Does it work? what is your mood like on those fast days? etc..

Replies

• HunterKiller_wechange2
    HunterKiller_wechange2 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I regularly do a 24h fast and then eat 500 cals. Works well for me if i've over indulged or just want to give my body a bit of a break. Mood wise it kinda makes me trip out a bit. :)
  • sadyel
    sadyel Posts: 250
    Options
    I regularly do a 24h fast and then eat 500 cals. Works well for me if i've over indulged or just want to give my body a bit of a break. Mood wise it kinda makes me trip out a bit. :)

Do you do that just the days after you have over indulged. I think Id be so moody!
  • FerryfieldLad
    FerryfieldLad Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Hello Friend.

I am doing it, recently started it. The first time I did it was just after Christmas but was going from eating lots to eating nothing and I found it very difficult to manage on fast days, so I had to drop it. But I was losing weight...

This time I went on a calorie controlled diet for about 1 month before starting the fast diet and I'm finding the fast days much easier as its not so much of a drop.

Hunger comes and goes rather than builds, so it's just about getting your head down and keeping busy til it passes. I can be a little moody though - but that's more through anger that people around me can eat and I can't.

I'd suggest watching the Horizon documentary by Michael Mosley, interesting research in that. Should be available to watch online somewhere!
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I did alternate day intermittent fasting for weight loss, which is a stricter version of the 5:2 plan. I tried doing 5:2 for maintenance, but kept losing weight so I had to stop :) Now I'm experimenting with 8/16 IF. There's a 5:2 group on mfp, as well as a general IF group-check them out!
  • HappyElizabeth
    HappyElizabeth Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I seem to be doing the slow diet. :laugh:
  • sadyel
    Options
    Thanks I will check both of them out :)
  • sadyel
    Options

haha :laugh:
  • FerryfieldLad
    Options
    Found a link to the video!

• grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    I do 5:2, great for me.
    Especially after a weekend of over indulgence! A fast day really helps get you back on track! :)

I have a few friends on here that also do it and they also love it! :)
  • HunterKiller_wechange2
    Options

Do you do that just the days after you have over indulged. I think Id be so moody!

Not always. Does work wonders though. Kind of like hitting reset. Otherwise i normally do it on a day that im not working it out. It just makes me feel good. I don't really get moody :)
  • HunterKiller_wechange2
    Options
    I do 5:2, great for me.
    Especially after a weekend of over indulgence! A fast day really helps get you back on track! :)

I have a few friends on here that also do it and they also love it! :)

Not just me then :smile:
  • acidosaur
    acidosaur Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it. Too soon to know if it's working though.
  • theCarlton
    theCarlton Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    just out of curiosity really Im quite happy with what Im doing at the minute
    Keep at it then. That's working for you.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    I've been doing the "fast diet" (more commonly known as "5:2" on here) for 16 weeks (fast #33 today).

It works a treat for weight loss (39lbs so far), and supposedly has other health benefits too (though many would argue they are as yet unproven).

I personally haven't noticed any real physical problems (tiredness, headaches etc.) on fasting days, but some others do report them.

At first, I found I was going to bed early on fasting days, but that was in an attempt to get the day over with and remove the temptation to eat more! That soon passed though, and now I barely notice the fast days. If I feel hungry, I drink a pint of water and give it half an hour - the pangs go away quickly enough,
  • FerryfieldLad
    Options
    Out of interest - what do you class as a fast day? From morning to bedtime?

I stop eating after dinner the day before a fast day, about 6pm, then I don't eat till after 6pm the following day.

So far as I know there is no formula for it, but would be good to get other peoples take on it...
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    If at the end of this math equation there is a deficit, then yes, it will work. :smile:
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options

I seem to be doing the "right on schedule" diet.
  • karenwill2
    karenwill2 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    thanks for the link. I may try it.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options

Personally, I eat two 300Cal meals - lunch and dinner - on fast days. Nothing else. So I basically fast for 16 hours, eat, 'fast' for 6 hours, eat, and then fast for 15 hours.

I believe that the recommendation for the health benefits is to try to go as long as possible between meals if you can, so that would be to eat one meal on your fast day, but I couldn't do that. I settled on 2 meals instead of, say, grazing small amounts throughout the day. Some people prefer that, and in weight loss terms it doesn't matter a jot. Only for those claimed health benefits...
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options

I stop eating after dinner the day before a fast day, about 6pm, then I don't eat till after 6pm the following day.

So far as I know there is no formula for it, but would be good to get other peoples take on it...

The original concept is a calendar day, so have dinner on Day 0, then have 500-600 cals on the Fast Day (Day 1) then a normal breakfast on Day 2. Many people eat their calorie allowance as a single meal - dinner on Day 1.