Meal Ideas for a Vegetarian

Options
So, I'm not only vegetarian, I'm also allergic to nuts, and a picky eater. I'm allergic to milk as well, though not as majorly, and typically don't let it affect my diet. I have options for breakfast, so could you guys please recommend lunch and dinner options? Healthy things, please, as I clearly am trying to lose weight as well. Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• redhead1910
    redhead1910 Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    For lunch I love wrapping up a brown rice or sprouted grain tortilla with some avocado, cucumber, and sprouts (you can melt some vegan cheese on there too). I also munch a bowl of fruit with it, very filling! I used to be a very picky vegetarian myself, but my only advice to you is try new things. You will be surprised with what you end up enjoying.
  • dpollet2
    dpollet2 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I eat vegetarian about 90% of the time and only eat fish every now and then. I also cook for my family, and they all are meat eaters so I'm pretty good at replacing meat or finding a way to leave it out for myself. I do a pasta primavera with zucchini, squash, mushrooms, carrots, onions, and bell peppers. Saute the veggies in olive oil and just add spaghetti sauce. Or use the veggies as a layer in lasagna.

Tonight we're doing chicken pot pie. I use veggie broth instead of chix broth, and pick apart a rotisserie chicken on the side for the family to add in as they like.

One thing we all love is vegetarian chili. I use Emeril's recipe. http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emeril-lagasse/vegetarian-chili-recipe/index.html

Another favorite is fajitas. I sub sliced up portabella mushrooms for meat in mine.
  • SWSfan21
    SWSfan21 Posts: 3
    Options
    Thanks for the idea! Yeah, Ive been trying more recently, been surprised what I found myself enjoying. Thanks!!
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    I like the wrap idea, I like the flatouts you can get at walmart and to spread hummus on them and add veggies, which reminds me I want some sprouts!
  • justdazed
    justdazed Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Stuffed mushrooms, curry with quinoa, I make "pasta" with shredded zucchini and spaghetti squash a lot. Lunch I tend to have either leftovers or the wrap idea is awesome!

I recently tried out this recipe: http://pinchofyum.com/healthy-fettucine-alfredo

SO GOOD! I have a dairy intolerance so I swapped out the cream and butter. I've made it with sweet potato pasta and spaghetti squash. Both times it was freaking amazing, re-heats very nice as well.