Diet vs Lifestyle Change

Options
Found this article. ANyone have thoughts?

http://patbarone.com/understanding-diets-lifestyle-change/

Understanding Diets v. Lifestyle Change
by PAT BARONE, MCC on JANUARY 24, 2012
We hear a lot about “lifestyle change” today. In fact, most diets call themselves a “lifestyle change”, even the popular commercial ones that are nothing more than a prescribed food plan.

I guess it makes customers THINK they’re doing the big job, not the little (short-term) one.

My favorite “lifestyle change” quote came from a friend who dropped a lot of weight (temporarily) during the Phen-Fen pharmaceutical debacle.

As she ordered lasagna and whipped four packets of sugar into her tea, she proclaimed “It’s not a diet! It’s a lifestyle change! I feel so different!”

Well, with real change you don’t “feel different”, you ARE different.

Don’t be fooled. My friend’s sad truth is that she was losing weight on the scale but not burning fat. She was, however, burning valuable other elements of her precious body and wound up with heart valve degeneration and heart disease. She regained the weight and developed several debilitating diseases. Today, she is very ill.

Remember, we are constantly creating the future with our actions today!

The experience of watching this sad progression helped me stay connected to my own quest for positive, healthy, sustainable weight loss.

It’s not about food, or weight. It’s about taking charge. With lifestyle change, we make powerful decisions and don’t let anyone get in the way of our health.

No one will do this job for us. It’s up to each of us. Eventually we all have to say “NO” to the diet industry that wants us fat so we can continue to be “good customers.”

The Test

You’re on a diet if: you are losing weight quickly
You’re pursuing lifestyle change if: you are losing weight slowly (the slower the better)

You’re on a diet if: you are focused on food change
You’re pursuing lifestyle change if: you are focused on behavior change

You’re on a diet if: you eat according to someone else’s plan
You’re pursuing lifestyle change if: you eat according to your body’s needs, discerned and decided by you alone

You’re on a diet if: you need high level, excessive exercise that constantly has to be increased in intensity, duration or exertion
You’re pursuing lifestyle change if: you vary exercise based on your body’s needs and it feels pleasurable (yes!)

You’re on a diet if: you’re focused on willpower and mental effort
You’re pursuing lifestyle change if: you’re focused on your body’s cues and needs

You’re on a diet if: food = trouble or food = enemy
You’re pursuing lifestyle change if: food = energy

You’re on a diet if: you are focused on looking a certain way or seeing a particular number on the scale
You’re pursuing lifestyle change if: your focus is energy, vitality and health

You’re on a diet if: you think positive change is about manipulating the body
You’re pursuing lifestyle change if: you think positive change is about internal change and finding peace in your life

You’re on a diet if: you’re focused on now
You’re pursuing lifestyle change if: you’re focused on the big picture of your life

Long-term sustainable change is actually easier than fighting the body and living in food struggle. But don’t tell the diet industry that little secret!

Replies

• CherylP67
    CherylP67 Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Thank you for posting this. I think for the first time in my dieting career, I'm working towards a lifestyle change. It's different this time.

I think the differing thought process can be attributed to the fact that I'm going through a divorce after 22 years of being married. I went through a phase where I took stock of my life and wasn't satisfied with my health and the eating habits I had and what behaviors my kids were absorbing from me. It's been a long, thought out process, but it feels right.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    It's just semantics. If calling it a lifestyle change helps, then by all means call it that. If it doesn't, then call it something else.
  • KatLifter
    KatLifter Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    It's just semantics. If calling it a lifestyle change helps, then by all means call it that. If it doesn't, then call it something else.

Going on a diet is a big difference than changing your lifestyle.
    Call it semantics if that makes you feel better.
    But to everyone else, changing your perspectives toward food and exercise will really help to lead toward the lasting results we are all looking for. The number on the scale will reflect inner health.
  • ron2e
    ron2e Posts: 606
    Options
    Not that Ms Barone doesn't have a financial axe to grind, but what she says about the difference between diet and weight loss makes a lot of sense, common sense unfortunately. I for one had already worked that out for myself...........

The art of stating the bleeding obvious perhaps?
  • WillLift4Tats
    WillLift4Tats Posts: 1,699 Member
    Options

Remember, we are constantly creating the future with our actions today!

I like this quote!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Going on a diet is a big difference than changing your lifestyle.
    Call it semantics if that makes you feel better.
    But to everyone else, changing your perspectives toward food and exercise will really help to lead toward the lasting results we are all looking for. The number on the scale will reflect inner health.

When it comes to food, it's your diet. Whether you stick to it long term or short term, or you choose to change the diet, is personal choice.

Only if you are including changes other than food would it go beyond semantics, but it's still personal choice whether you stick to it or not. There is no guarantee that any lifestyle change (diet or other) will be lifelong.
  • Zehornet
    Zehornet Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This sounds good! Its easy to get frustrated when the weight doesnt come off as it would when on a diet, but on the other hand it is this maneuvering space that makes sure I dont just shelf it altogether and go back to bad habits. Thanks for the post!
  • paygep
    paygep Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    bump

nice post
  • gdrmuzak
    gdrmuzak Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    Great stuff. My goal is 25 pounds a year for 3 years. By then, I'll have adjusted and then understand what it means to "maintain" my weight rather than fight to lose weight...only to gain it back. I lost my first 25 lbs. quick, struggled for 4 months (part me, part body) and then started taking it off again.

Again, my goal is lifestyle change, so I don't mind indulging (or over) in some WONDERFUL foods and meals every now and again but I make sure it's not a habit and I plan my day and/or week for it. By slowly taking things off, my body AND mind adjust to new habits and practices.

It's hard to believe where I am today vs. one year ago and I can't wait till Aug. to make the comparison!!!
  • geekette411
    geekette411 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I was thin for many years and then I quit smoking and gained a ton of weight almost overnight it seemed! That coupled with my menopausal changes kept the weight on. For me, this is recapturing my lifestyle, rather than changing it.:tongue:
  • kjbdancer
    kjbdancer Posts: 1
    Options
    Thanks for the post! It is good to be reminded that we need a long term mindset.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    Great post :) There's like a 95% failure rate with long term weight loss success. There's definitely a disconnect between losing weight/dieting and changing behaviors, habits, your relationship with food and situations (like eating out, social events etc). I'm determined to be part of the 5% and I'm making lifestyle changes right now, to get me there :)

FYI-a great book about the history of dieting/dieting industry, as well as an in depth look at studies/research about obesity and diets, is Rethinking Thin, by Gina Kolata. A very informative and eye opening book!
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Pretty much what I've been trying to focus on - lifestyle change, or changing my eating habits. I don't really cut much out or have foods that are off limits. Juyst moderate intake. Count calories. Exercise.

Done.