Sugar from Fruit

Options
I am confussed? I read somewhere that you did not need to watch the sugar in take from fruit, unless you are diabetic. Is this true?
HELP!

Replies

• Reeceybaby1988
    Options
    just eat the damn apple!
  • onedayatatime12
    onedayatatime12 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Well you should not consume too many high GI fruits if you're diabetic, like bananas. Apples are great for diabetics, as are blueberries and plums.
  • bleedingdesu
    bleedingdesu Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    According to my doctor, even excessive sugar from fruit can be harmful, but it's so much better for you and not as much of an issue as processed sugars, high fructose corn syrups, etc.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    MFP lumps ADDED sugar and natural sugar in the same category. Added sugar is the one I look out for (I'm not diabetic, but added sugar is processed junk) ..... so I choose not to track sugar here on MFP .... added fiber to my tracker instead.

If you're not diabetic don't worry about it ..... unless you eat crazy high amounts of fruit.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    Just watch your intake of added/refined sugars. I personally avoid high fructose corn syrup and don't eat or drink anything that has it. I eat fruit regularly...about 3 servings or so per day. I don't think anyone got fat because they were eating too many strawberries. An apple a day isn't the cause of the obesity epidemic.
  • TedStout
    TedStout Posts: 241
    Options
    Great question. Almost all of the literature I have read says "eat as much fruit as you want to" Of course, crazy amounts of ANYTHING is bad. My advice...eat the fruit!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    MFP lumps ADDED sugar and natural sugar in the same category. Added sugar is the one I look out for (I'm not diabetic, but added sugar is processed junk) ..... so I choose not to track sugar here on MFP .... added fiber to my tracker instead.

If you're not diabetic don't worry about it ..... unless you eat crazy high amounts of fruit.

Can you please aware us all, metabolically how refined sugars are different from fruit sugars, for instance sucrose in an apple to HFCS or even sucrose from any fruit to regular table sugar?
  • aspmg5
    aspmg5 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I eat probably 2-3 fruits a day and am losing weight. I don't, however, eat much of the processed sugars. I avoid candy, ice cream, etc and eat very little bread.
  • Giveusabreak
    Options
    You have answered one of my guestions, but I don't always eat my calories allocated each day. Will that stop me losing weight? Cannot check are I think my scales are dodgy.
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    You have answered one of my guestions, but I don't always eat my calories allocated each day. Will that stop me losing weight? Cannot check are I think my scales are dodgy.

Generally you should be trying to meet your calorie goal for the day. If you come up 50 or less short it's probably not a big deal but being significanly low all the time,depending on how you set your loss up (for 0.5,1.0,1.5 pounds per week) it can be a problem. If you set your accoun to lose more than a pound per week and are not eating your calories it could be a problem as faring sticking to it later on .
  • liftingbro
    liftingbro Posts: 2,029 Member
    Options
    Oh.... and for fruit. Fruit is great, so long as you don't go overboard but a few pieces a day isn't going to hurt you. Of course if you are diabetic or otherwise insulin resistant it can be a problem. As with anything, try what you like and if it doesn't work adjust.
  • saxmaniac
    saxmaniac Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Your body turns natural sugars, processed sugars, starches, and pretty much everything into glucose with alarming efficiency.

Eat the fruit, just watch the total carbs. Even if you have diabetes.

If you that find fruit, or processed sugars, or playing Bingo while drunk on absinthe makes you go over your carb or calorie goals, then consider avoiding them.
  • Fjcookie
    Fjcookie Posts: 48
    Options
    Thanks for posting. I asked a simlar question a couple of hours ago.... though I am not diabetic.
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    Your body turns natural sugars, processed sugars, starches, and pretty much everything into glucose with alarming efficiency.

Eat the fruit, just watch the total carbs. Even if you have diabetes.

If you that find fruit, or processed sugars, or playing Bingo while drunk on absinthe makes you go over your carb or calorie goals, then consider avoiding them.
    But bingo night is tradition!
  • ABROOKS225
    ABROOKS225 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I want to thank all of you. I am eating about 3 servings per day. Good luck to you all!

I LOVE THIS SIGHT!!.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I never worry about sugar from fruit.
  • JDBLY11
    JDBLY11 Posts: 577 Member
    Options

Can you please aware us all, metabolically how refined sugars are different from fruit sugars, for instance sucrose in an apple to HFCS or even sucrose from any fruit to regular table sugar?

I will have to read more but fruit has a lot more in it than just sugar. It has water, vitamins, minerals, fiber, enzymes, and phytonutrients. It is a whole food that our body is designed to process. Most fruit ( except pineapple and melon) actually are fine for diabetics to eat. Apparently fruit does not raise triglycerides either. Fructose actually in all plant foods, even root vegetables. Root vegetables also have sucrose.