Really sucking at staying under my calorie goal lately...

Options
2»

Replies

• likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Reserve 200 calories for midnight snacks. However, I'm concerned that its possible you might be not eating enough throughout the day.
    This has occurred to me. I try to keep a good balance of fiber and protein in my food throughout the day, but I wonder if in this case, MFP is not accurate in it's assessment of my caloric needs.

I had my body composition done through hydrostatic measurement and my BMR is about 100 calories over MFPs. Simple enough fix: I just put myself down as lightly active instead of inactive and add all my exercise calories back. Whether you do something like that depends on your comfort level and current weight loss. You could also eat at maintenance for a week or two and see if the snacking tapers off too.
  • aliencheesecake
    aliencheesecake Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    Thanks! And thanks everyone for their advice!
  • blondageh
    blondageh Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    I hear you, I have been struggling with this for YEARS! I wake up and feel this instant anxiety that makes me feel like I need food to calm it down and go back to sleep. I did great for two nights in a row and then last night packed on 1300 calories in less then 10 mins. :( I wake up feeling so ashamed and like the biggest failure ever. I am on medication for it now (Trazadone) but it doesn't really seem to help. It just helps me fall asleep, it doesn't keep me asleep. And then, like you, when my 2 yr old daughter wakes up, I get even more frustrated and go eat more. To me, it is a mental issue more than anything else. I did try keeping a peeled orange or other piece of fruit on my nightstand so I don't even have to get out of bed and eat that bread and peanut butter. That seems to help, sometimes.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I have a moderate issue with bingeing when I come home from work. I think the only thing that really helps in just mind control and a conscious effort. Try more water and I find that working out during the day makes me more tired and I don't wake up as much. You said you get up with your child - not sure how old she is...
    I solved this by putting my "snack" in the car. I look forward to that snack. It keeps me from going through drive through's or ravaging the house when I get there from hunger. I keep it something I like, and something that will not perish in the car (and my purse as well). Even a tasty bag of individual serving "sun chips" is enough for me to think i'm having a great treat, which is better than a 1200 calorie fast food dive.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I have been doing pretty bad lately myself. I know for me, the keys to eating better are easy.

For me, I need to pre-make meals and have them at work. If not, i tend to over-eat, and eat less healthy foods.

I need to make sure portions are sizeable of good stuff.

I need to make sure I reduce carbs a bit more than I really want to (I LOVE bread)

Log. Log. Log. Log. Esepcailly on "bad" days.