Just had to share....

Options
I just had to share...I am currently 232 and on my way to 120. 8 pounds in to the journey. Anyways, I just got done on the elliptical and did 60 minutes! Burned 656 calories! I SO wanted to quit at 30, but did not. :) I had a higher cal lunch so am working off those cals. I have P90X Yoga and X Stretch today (missed a day). Can not wait to see where the day ends.

Oh, one thing. MFP said 60 minutes elliptical should have burned me 954 cal and the machine said 656. Why such a difference?

Replies

• rachel512
    rachel512 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Thats great! Congrats! As far as the calorie discrepancy, I would low-ball the calorie burn on the elliptical to about 450-500 p/hour because those machines are notorious for over estimating the burn...just for future reference! Good luck on your journey!
  • kRpRpLgRl
    kRpRpLgRl Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Way to Go!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

That is so awesome! :drinker: :drinker:
    Glad you took time to share!

Kim
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    The machine is going by the standard 70 kg or 154 pound person. Since you weigh more, you will burn more then that. Congrats! Sounds like a great workout!
  • ICan1010
    ICan1010 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    :happy: Wow! Good for you! I think that the elliptical is evil, so I'm waaaay impressed. This will be an awesome day for you!
  • LotusF1ower
    LotusF1ower Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    I just had to share...I am currently 232 and on my way to 120. 8 pounds in to the journey. Anyways, I just got done on the elliptical and did 60 minutes! Burned 656 calories! I SO wanted to quit at 30, but did not. :) I had a higher cal lunch so am working off those cals. I have P90X Yoga and X Stretch today (missed a day). Can not wait to see where the day ends.

Oh, one thing. MFP said 60 minutes elliptical should have burned me 954 cal and the machine said 656. Why such a difference?

Shannon the MFP site overestimates some of its exercise calories. From my own experience on those machines it is approximately 600 calories per hour, so in my opinion, the machine was correct. Ellipticals are also very similar in calories burned to treadmills and they are also around 600 per hour (of course depends how fast etc) however, 900+ calories per hour on either of those machines would be a hell of a lot and would require extremely fast running or movement.

Besides, 656 calories is superb and you should be very proud of yourself, just goes to show what you can do!!

WTG, you are definitely on your way x
  • jenn559
    jenn559 Posts: 11
    Options
    Congrats!:) you are on the right track
    :happy:
  • weaklink109
    weaklink109 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    Congrats on your good start. I ran across a website that has a calculator for elliptical exercise, based on your actual weight and other data about your work out. Here is the link:

http://www.caloriesperhour.com/index_burn.php

When the page comes up, look at the links toward the bottom and look for "Precor EFX 546 Elliptical Calculator." You should be able to get a good idea of what you burned, based on your actual data. Good luck. If you do this, how about a follow-up post to indicated how this calculator came in compared to the MFP data, and the data from the machine you were using?
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    I have found that MFP is almost right on with the elliptical if you are #1 Male, and #2 Doing exactly 10 minute miles. If you were going slower than that, you burned less calories. It does track with weight fairly well, but I average about 7:20 miles, so I use the machine number and leave some squish in my estimates every day.

At 232 lbs you are probably burning about 140 to 145 calories per mile.
  • lisalynn35
    lisalynn35 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    The machine is going by the standard 70 kg or 154 pound person. Since you weigh more, you will burn more then that. Congrats! Sounds like a great workout!

She's right.

BTW, great job and dedication. I bet you feel great! I'm always so proud of myself when I pull through the "I can't" moments and turn them into "I can" moments!

Great job!
  • diet45
    diet45 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    So proud of you!!! I last 30 minutes tops on the elliptical. I get bored to quickly or my 3-yr-old starts getting into stuff. Sometimes I do it twice a day or do the elliptical and then a video strength training!!! You are off to a great start!!!
  • ltlhmom
    ltlhmom Posts: 1,202 Member
    Options
    Awesome! My suggest would be to invest in a HRM (Heart Rate Monitor). That way you know what it really is that you have burned. I have found that sometimes MFP is right on and other times it is way off.