I need to become a better runner...

Options
arains89
arains89 Posts: 442 Member
So I need some advice. I did the Warrior Dash yesterday. It is a 5K mud run and obstacle course. The obstacles were a breeze but I was not very good with the running inbetween. I plan on doing another in June (about a month) called the Rebel Race which is also 5K with obstacles. I NEVER run. I need to get better in the next month and I dont really know how to start... I workout doing cardio and strength training 6 days a week (doing turbofire right now) but I am willing to wake up in the morning and do a run as I do my exercise at night. Where do I start? How long or far... Any advice would be helpful. Like I said I have this 5K obstacle in June and then I would like to train to do a 15K obstacle in October. Thanks!

Replies

• arains89
    Options
    Bump. I hope there are some runners on this site!!
  • closenre
    closenre Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Just go.. start at a mile or two and see how it feels.. research running and look into different training programs. Jeff galloway has an entire site full of free training programs for different races.. just got to put em on and get out the door..
  • arains89
    Options
    Yea I guess I know that part I just wondered if there was a "right" way to build endurance for running. And speed as well. I guess practice makes perfect :)
  • closenre
    Options
    Not for me... when I first started running I was slow at like an 11 min per mile pace.. through training for my marathons and halfs I have gotten faster.. I never focused on speed but it came with the distance...now im right under 8 min miles if there are no hills..lol
  • arains89
    Options
    I am not sure why but I sort of expected to just naturally be decent at it... I do workout everyday... But I never knew that running is a whole other animal until yesterday. I definately need to start including it in my regimen. Thanks for your advice!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    What you need to do right now is just build endurance. Speed will increase automatically and later you can add speed specific training to be able to run even faster. Run 3 or 4 times a week keeping your heartrate below 80% of max. For best results run between 151 to 156. Start with where you are now and build towards running an hour on your weekday runs and 2 hours on one weekend run.
  • closenre
    Options
    Yea its definitely learned.. im sure there is some natural ability but you body needs to learn how to process oxygen more efficently, how to remove lactic acid from the muscles, and build up muscles and muscle groups that are only used in running, like in the feet and knee.. it takes time but imo is completely worth it.. ! Good luck!
  • davemunger
    davemunger Posts: 1,139 Member
    Options
    Just keep at it. You have good base conditioning, but you need to build endurance. Try alternating between walking and running (think of this like doing sets of reps on weights). Eventually your walk breaks will get shorter and you can just run continuously. I agree with scott, 3 or 4 times a week is ideal. If you prefer the gym you could incorporate the treadmill into your workouts -- do a set amount of time on the treadmill -- 3 or 4 minutes, then do some lifting, then back to the treadmill. Make sure you keep your heart rate up! If you get 15-20 minutes on the treadmill as part of your workout, that should translate well to a 5K.
  • Lawngirl296
    Lawngirl296 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am a TERRIBLE runner but I had fairly good results with the Couch to 5K, it maybe helpful.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml
  • Mock_Turtle
    Mock_Turtle Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    The only way to get better at running is to put the time in doing it.

The majority of your training should just be bulk distance running, don't worry about speed. You need to be building up your endurance. Once a week doing some type of interval training wouldn't hurt.

If you want to run a faster 5 k, start by running 6-7 km's 3 times a week. You can make the 4th run an interval run, or if you don't have time for it, make the 3rd run intervals (faster running mixed in with some rest walking in between)
  • Paco4gsc
    Paco4gsc Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Working on your form can have a big impact on distance running. Not letting your arms cross your body, leaning forward, opening up on downhills, and shortening on uphills are a few tips that can help you run a bit more efficiently so that you can go longer and/or faster.
  • BflSaberfan
    BflSaberfan Posts: 1,272
    Options
    Couch to 5k app is a wonderful to get you running for 30 straight minutes. I cant recommend it enough
  • Hezzietiger1
    Hezzietiger1 Posts: 1,256 Member
    Options
    U never run?? Start running.
  • closenre
    Options
    U never run?? Start running.

This! Lol
  • HPLW0705
    HPLW0705 Posts: 102
    Options
    Just run. When I first started years ago, it was to prep myself for boot camp...I'm glad I did that. I haven't stopped running since. Don't go to time, just go for distance and speed will improve from there. Find your breathing pattern and take a bigger stride. When I first started out, my calf muscles were so sore until I started lengthening out my stride, then I didn't have that problem. Add me if you want, I run often, I'm doing Insanity right now, so not as often as I used to, but I plan on getting back to it once my 60 days are up!
  • phooey43
    phooey43 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    1st of all congrats on completing the warrior dash that's awesome! Make sure you do one long run a week with 2-3 shorter runs during the week. If your goal is to run 5k (3.1 miles) start with perhaps a 2 mile long run weekly and add a .25 to half mile each week for your long runs and 2-3 shorter easy runs during the week. Don't worry about speed just build endurance and soon you'll be breezing through a 5k! Good luck!!
  • RonandDi
    RonandDi Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    Most of the time when a new runner talks about wanting to increase speed, speed isn't normally the problem. It's more that they can't run fast for as long as they would like. For me, I worked on distance first then the speed came as I got used to the distance. The first time I ran 3 miles I felt lucky to do it at a 10:00 pace. Now I can do 3 miles at a 9:00 pace fairly easily, although it's still not fast by most standards, it's faster than I was. Keep running at a slower pace at a longer distance and just steadly push yourself to do it a little faster as it becomes easier.
  • wilsoje74
    wilsoje74 Posts: 1,720 Member
    Options
    try the couch to 5K program to help build up to a 5k.
  • bridgjones75
    bridgjones75 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    The Nike+ site has many programs based on your goals. Speed, distance, etc.
  • goodtimezzzz
    goodtimezzzz Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    slow at first very slow..breathe in thru the nose OUT thru the nose! read Born to Run