Hello from the desert

Options
Hello everyone,

I am a soldier serving in Iraq and have found it hard to stay motivated to exercise. I am also recovering from a leg injury and find it difficult to run, which in the past has always been the way I was able to maintain my weight. As the Holidays are on us I am just trying to not get too down and get off track of my goal weight.

Replies

• gumby1707
    gumby1707 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone,

I am a soldier serving in Iraq and have found it hard to stay motivated to exercise. I am also recovering from a leg injury and find it difficult to run, which in the past has always been the way I was able to maintain my weight. As the Holidays are on us I am just trying to not get too down and get off track of my goal weight.
  • deanea
    deanea Posts: 1,437
    Options
    Running, for me is a huge weight maintenance tool. I had a minor injury and couldn't run, this site will be helpfull because running burns huge calories, so you'll have to be careful with your food intake for a while, welcome
  • Loretta_Jo
    Loretta_Jo Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Hello and Welcome!
    It's good to have you with us.
    Keep your chin up and remember we are here for you!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Welcome
    We are glad to have you. Hope your leg is healing nicely from the injury. Good luck with your goals.
    Best of luck while you are in Iraq our thoughts will be with you.

Eve
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,049 Member
    Options
    Running, for me is a huge weight maintenance tool. I had a minor injury and couldn't run, this site will be helpfull because running burns huge calories, so you'll have to be careful with your food intake for a while, welcome

??? you lost me, there deanea.

gumby1707,

Sorry to hear you're unable to run. Do you have access to weights? Or could you jury-rig some? Weight or resistance training is a great way to burn calories, and you'll be all toned up and feel great. It is surprising how much of a workout it is, especially if you do circuit training. As you get older it becomes harder to run, too, so good weight training will help keep muscles strong to support your joints.

We are all grateful you are safe and able to communicate with us online! We care about you. Keep coming back and telling us about your recovery.

Happy Holidays.

Cheryl
  • deanea
    Options
    What do you mean I lost you?
  • deanea
    Options
    oh... I think I know what you mean.....I mean that running does burn alot of calories, so now that our new comer cannot run, watching calorie intake will be really important to help maintain the weight and not gain, this site is perfect for that. Does that make more sense?
  • jessjess
    Options
    Hello,
    I'm also here in Iraq, trying to get fit and gain control of myself with all the delicious goodies that I keep getting in care packages.
    With your leg injury, are you able to walk on the treadmill at an incline for a period of time? My husband swears that that is a great cardio/gluteus work-out. I'm a fan of the elliptical machine, but may give it a chance to tighten up some.