Fatigue in the Morning

Options
FrnkLft
FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
Hey guys, so I've been working out in the evenings after work, but I noticed this past Sunday and the one before that, my energy levels where really low working out in the morning. By the time I got home I felt like I could just fall asleep, and felt a little nauseous.

Again, don't feel this way when I work out in the evenings, only in the mornings apparently. Saturday night was not crazy lol Anyone else have this problem?

I'm asking because I'm considering moving all my workouts to the morning, but maybe I'm just not the sort to gain from that. (NOT a morning person)

Replies

• adswillis27
    adswillis27 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    It may take some time to adjust to the morning workouts. If you really want to switch then give it a few weeks and see how you are feeling. Make sure you eat a good breakfast too. I workout at 4:30 am so I don't eat before, but I try to get 500 cals for breakfast within an hour of my workout.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    My guess is that it's because you haven't had anything to eat for many hours and you're body is just low in food energy. I'm this way. I have to eat something (usually half an apple and 1/4 cup of black beans as an example) or my morning workouts feel like their more trouble than they are worth (extreme fatigue). I'll get up an hour before my workout, eat the mini breakfast and then lay back down for 45 more minutes of rest before getting started.

I even had to start doing this mini breakfast on days where I do cardio first because with the long nighttime fast, my sweat was smelling like ammonia.

So just like adswillis27 said, get some food in before your workout and see if that helps your morning fatigue problem.
  • adswillis27
    Options
    Just to clarify... Are you feeling nauseous in the morning during your workout or when you are tried in the afternoon?

brower47 mentioned that I eat before, but I don't eat before my workout. I get up and immediately workout, but I do eat very soon after my workout.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options
    Just to clarify... Are you feeling nauseous in the morning during your workout or when you are tried in the afternoon?

brower47 mentioned that I eat before, but I don't eat before my workout. I get up and immediately workout, but I do eat very soon after my workout.

My bad, I misread you.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Yeah I have a little something, my pre-workout meal. It's chocolate milk with my protein powder. Once I got home I sat back on the recliner and put on Skyfall. Felt great oddly enough after about 45 minutes and some lunch, but this wouldn't work for me if I did it on a week day.

Maybe it's that I've been upping my workout volume too, and I think the mix of working out in the morning when I'm not used to it, with higher volume (that I've been doing in the evenings for a week now) might be what did it.
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    I also workout in the morning and have been for years. Try dropping protein before working out. Take BCAA before and during your workout and have meal, drink or whatever after your workout. I use to take protein carbs such as a banana and protein powder 45-60 min before my workout but someone told to drop the protein. I did and I have much more energy. Protein especially mixed with milk takes time to digest. Digestion takes energy which could be used during your workout.
  • adswillis27
    Options

My bad, I misread you.

No problem :) I probably wasn't very clear in what I wrote either.

fconcep-I would just try to make adjustments until you find a good balance where you have more energy and feel great. Morning workouts aren't for everyone. I say do what works best for you. But, as I mentioned before try it out for a few weeks (if you really want to switch) and then decide if you should continue or switch back to afternoon.

If you are uping the intensity of your workouts you are probably burning more calories too. Make sure you are adjusting your food intake as well.
  • gxm17
    gxm17 Posts: 374
    Options
    I know it sounds counter intuitive, but I found that working out in the morning energizes me. And I'm not a morning person either. The hardest part is getting out of bed.

I agree with the other commenters. It sounds like you may need more food. But I've read that carbs are best pre-workout and protein is best post-workout.