100 calorie snacks that actually keep you full for hours?

Options
Shelby1582
Shelby1582 Posts: 191 Member
Here's my usual breakfast: 2 sunny side up eggs, whites only, and some kind of Kashi high fiber cereal with blueberries and 2% milk in the am before work. 4 hours later I'm hungry again but it's only 11 am and I like to eat my lunch later in the day so I'm not starving when I get off work and go workout.
I got invisalign recently and the whole process of brushing, cleaning the retainers and then flossing after every meal has really made me want to limit the amount of times I eat/snack so instead of grazing on nuts or whatever I try to limit my eating at work to 2x daily. I really hate brushing my teeth at work or in a restaurant!
What do you guys eat that will keep you full for several hours? I just ate a healthy antioxidant Kind bar and a Slimfast and realized I am almost out of calories and I haven't even eaten lunch yet!
low cal snack ideas please!!

Edit: MFP has me at 1300 calories and after breakfast and snacks I had 650 calories for the day left and that didn't include the sandwich or fat free yogurt I brought for lunch which I figured would leave me with 300 calories or less. I know that granola bars and slimfast are really high in carbs, sugar and calories but it keeps me full until 2 when I usually eat again.
I'm looking for healthier, more filling options- not something that will keep me full for 8 or 9 hours!

Replies

• yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    Whether it's 100 calories of celery or 100 calories of ice cream, I can't possibly see how any option would keep you "full" for hours.

You could eat more in the morning, or if you are hungry mid-day, eat a proper lunch and deal with the brushing.
  • tluciano2007
    Options
    yogurt works great and not too hard on the teeth!:happy:
  • akindc
    akindc Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Why only the whites? Whole eggs are good for you. Eating the yolks might help to make you feel fuller.
  • brentbarrie
    brentbarrie Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Would be nice, wouldnt it? I find drinking lots of water helps, or keeping yourself busy so that you don't have to think about being hungry or wanting to eat food. Gum could be a good option as well. I can eat 2000 calories in a meal and still be hungry.
  • brentbarrie
    brentbarrie Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    Carb Master Yogurt with granola. Oats and Honey (The green package, I dont remember which brand) bars and water are a low calorie and filling snack too but I think its more than 100 calories,
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    no 100 calorie snack will keep you full. I would buy the liquid egg whites and increase the egg whites in the morning and I would eat a whole grain english muffin with a medium smear of peanut butter. This keeps me full for about 6-7 hrs. I get protein carb and whole grain and fat. It sticks. 2 egg whites is nothing no wonder you are hungry. Also no fat or very little is not enough. 30 grams of protein has been shown to be beneficial in the morning for dieters/
  • OMGSugarOHNOS
    OMGSugarOHNOS Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    idk about staying full for hours but 1 apple can usually hold me over for 3-4 hours if need be. Must be followed by a large meal though.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I don't know much about Kind bars, but a quick glance showed they were mostly carbs and very little protein (quick energy, quick crash). I usually bring 1 cup of cottage cheese (I don't like greek yogurt, but also a good choice), and have half in the morning and half in the afternoon. The protein and fat combo easily tide me over until lunch or dinner.

However, if you are eating egg whites, cereal, some fruit and a "health bar" and are out of calories for the day, you're likely not eating enough calories. I'd give this post a read:
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/912920-in-place-of-a-road-map-3-2013
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    Whether it's 100 calories of celery or 100 calories of ice cream, I can't possibly see how any option would keep you "full" for hours.

You could eat more in the morning, or if you are hungry mid-day, eat a proper lunch and deal with the brushing.

Yup, 100 calories ain't much. Best bet is probably beef jerky or some kind of nut. Cottage cheese? Anything with lots of fat and/or protein will keep you going the longest. But 100 calories is still 100 calories, it'll only last so long.

You mentioned a pretty light breakfast, and then a bar of some kind and you're out of calories? I'm guessing your calorie goal is unrealistically low, which is probably your first problem that you need to address. What is your daily goal? If it's 1200 or less, re-assess your situation first.
  • banana1280
    banana1280 Posts: 5
    Options
    I have been eating mini rice cakes. They come in many different flavors.
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    I disagree about whole eggs SOME people (myself included) are not great and ok with eggs. started eating whole eggs from advice on MFP my cholesterol shot up 90 pts. my cardiologist told me stop the whole eggs. I did so and numbers back down 3 months later. Whole eggs all of the time can be ok for some, with others too many can affect lipids so be aware.
  • lalaland82
    lalaland82 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I normally eat an apple every afternoon, keeps me from snacking til dinner, but that's usually only an hour or two and I'm still very hungry by dinnertime. But it stops me picking while I cook
  • synthomarsh
    synthomarsh Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    5 boiled egg whites

maybe some of those miracle noodles
  • JenAndSome
    JenAndSome Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    How do you make sunny side up eggs without the yolks? Isn't that taking away the sun?
  • tilesteven
    tilesteven Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love 100 calorie popcorn bags.
  • danabananaaa
    Options
    This website gives great advice on what to eat and exercises:

http://www.webmd.com/diet/ss/slideshow-100-calorie-snacks
  • puppy1002
    puppy1002 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    Add Chia to a smoothie or anything else you eat. It's great for protein and it expands to help keep you fuller longer.
  • endlesswonderr
    endlesswonderr Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem at school. I usually like to eat lunch around 1 or 2, so mid day I'll usually just pack some fruit and it will keep me satisfied until then.
    usually a huge bag of grapes works, or an apple/banana
    you could always eat a bunch of raw veggies, as well! without dressing you could eat a decent amount and easily stay under 100 calories!
  • ami5000psu
    ami5000psu Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    It's unlikely that any 100 calorie snack will keep you full for hours. Get more protein in your breakfast by eating the yolks. Egg whites, protein cereal, blueberries, milk, a Kind bar, and a slimfast means you're almost out of calories for the day? Really?
  • BostonStrong617
    Options
    An Apple keeps me really full for some reason. I guess it's the fiber. But I space out my meals so I'm eating snacks every few hours so I never go terribly long without eating. But I eat apples for breakfast a lot and sometimes I don't get hungry until lunch & don't need a morning snack. But apples certainly hold me over.

Greek Yogurt, I like Dannon Light & Fit it's 80 calories, 12 grams of protein, sometimes I put a TB spoon of PB2 in there.

Fiber 1 Bars but they taste weird if you ask me, but they will keep you full.

Protein & Fiber are the keys to feeling full IMO. Coffee helps too.

I work at a preschool so we have snack time which helps me schedule meals quite easily but being in school I think you could probably have a snack when you wanted. The way my schedule goes is

Breakfast: 7:00 AM (Naturally my smallest meal of the day)
    Snack: 10:00 AM (Normally an Apple or Greek Yogurt)
    Lunch: Noon (I'd prefer later but this is the time BT our morning/afternoon kids)
    Snack: 2:30 PM (Normally something carby like a cliff bar for long run days )
    Workout: 5:30 PM
    Dinner: 7:00 PM
    Late Nigh Snack: 9:00 PM (If anyone spews crap about how you can't eat after 7 PM tell them to stop watching Dr. Oz and do some actual research)

I've found following this schedule I'm never really hungry. I used to go hours without eating and skip meals but then I would binge at night. This way I never binge, like ever and my metabolism is much better and I don't get bloated as often.