Can naps hinder your weight loss?

Options
Just curious. I usually take a nap, at least 30 minutes but usually about an hour long, about an hour after lunch. I've been eating well and trying to lose weight for about a month and have lost a single pound. I do get enough sleep at night but I usually get tired in the afternoon. I have eliminated soda (I still have one usually once a week) from my diet and I do not have any thyroid problems or diabetes.

Replies

• Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Just curious. I usually take a nap, at least 30 minutes but usually about an hour long, about an hour after lunch. I've been eating well and trying to lose weight for about a month and have lost a single pound. I do get enough sleep at night but I usually get tired in the afternoon. I have eliminated soda (I still have one usually once a week) from my diet and I do not have any thyroid problems or diabetes.

As long as you don't anything right before your nap, you're fine. If you do, it's much like eating at night and your body will store it all as fat while you sleep due to the insulin fairy
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options

As long as you don't anything right before your nap, you're fine. If you do, it's much like eating at night and your body will store it all as fat while you sleep due to the insulin fairy

wat
  • innocenceportrayed
    innocenceportrayed Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I eat lunch, but I don't eat then instantly go lay down. I eat then wait about an hour or more then nap.
  • Emmerz85
    Emmerz85 Posts: 8
    Options
    I definitely agree with what Acg67 said. Do you drink enough water? Try to have 8oz before bed and immediately when you wake up, from any length of sleeping.

Maybe your body is already at a comfortable weight. You'll have to make some significant changes to break that plateau.
  • Emmerz85
    Emmerz85 Posts: 8
    Options
    To actually answer your question, I don't believe naps can hinder results.
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

No, it will not hurt you. Actually more rest is good for you.

And, the "don't eat before you sleep" crap is all myth. Calories in vs. calories out, that is it. It doesn't matter what time a day you eat, as long as you are expending more than you are eating, you will lose weight.
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options
    I definitely agree with what Acg67 said. Do you drink enough water? Try to have 8oz before bed and immediately when you wake up, from any length of sleeping.

Maybe your body is already at a comfortable weight. You'll have to make some significant changes to break that plateau.

I drink 12-13 glasses a day, so 96-103oz a day. I get at least 8 hours of sleep at night but for as long as I can remember I've always been tired in the afternoon and always taken naps. I have had my blood work done (back in february after an illness) and they said everything was fine, no thyroid problems, no diabetes, nothing.
  • yummy_
    yummy_ Posts: 248 Member
    Options

the insulin fairy effect is completely negated if you *kitten* post-meal, but pre-nap.
    sweet dreams!
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options

And, the "don't eat before you sleep" crap is all myth. Calories in vs. calories out, that is it. It doesn't matter what time a day you eat, as long as you are expending more than you are eating, you will lose weight.

That's what I believe too, that it doesn't matter when you eat, I don't believe that your metabolism slows at night either, well it may slow but it sure as hell doesn't "stop after 6pm" or you'd die -__-

I'm eating at a 1500 calorie diet currently and on an average I burn anywhere from 600-900 calories a day from exercise, but I'm still not losing.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options

the insulin fairy effect is completely negated if you *kitten* post-meal, but pre-nap.
    sweet dreams!

Yeah, I've heard that...time to start putting it to practice...
  • hungrywhodat
    hungrywhodat Posts: 40 Member
    Options

I drink 12-13 glasses a day, so 96-103oz a day. I get at least 8 hours of sleep at night but for as long as I can remember I've always been tired in the afternoon and always taken naps. I have had my blood work done (back in february after an illness) and they said everything was fine, no thyroid problems, no diabetes, nothing.

Have you had a sleep study? A bit of obstructive sleep apnea could explain the afternoon tiredness and even difficulty losing weight (to a certain extent).
  • sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options

That's what I believe too, that it doesn't matter when you eat, I don't believe that your metabolism slows at night either, well it may slow but it sure as hell doesn't "stop after 6pm" or you'd die -__-

I'm eating at a 1500 calorie diet currently and on an average I burn anywhere from 600-900 calories a day from exercise, but I'm still not losing.

Metabolism slow down and crashing is way over-exaggerated.
  • Contrarian
    Contrarian Posts: 8,138 Member
    Options
    If I had to live in a world without naps, I would blow this planet to kingdom come.

Naps are good! They keep us all alive.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I LOVE naps.
  • FootballGamer58
    FootballGamer58 Posts: 1,310 Member
    Options

sweet dreams!

wow this, also dont forget your ketones and poptart suppository cleanse
  • innocenceportrayed
    Options

Have you had a sleep study? A bit of obstructive sleep apnea could explain the afternoon tiredness and even difficulty losing weight (to a certain extent).

No I haven't, but I have discussed it with my doctor and all she said was that I eat turkey for lunch so of course I'm going to be tired. o.0 Well I eat turkey but I don't eat a whole turkey, I can't be ingesting that much tryptophan. I doubt my insurance would cover it though. =/
  • poohpoohpeapod
    poohpoohpeapod Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    sllep including naps has been proven to help weight loss. We are more apt to eat up to 300 calories the day after getting less than 6 hrs of sleep. naps count towards sleep.
  • brower47
    brower47 Posts: 16,356 Member
    Options

sweet dreams!

ROFL.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    So stinking jealous you get to take naps! How do you manage the time for a nap?
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options

sweet dreams!

And you have time to *kitten* before a nap! Life isnt even fair...how do you fit lunch/*kitten*/nap into your work schedule?