Logging and calories and macros...how do you do it?

Options
twinkiemon
twinkiemon Posts: 216 Member
So everyone is different and loses weight differently and I'm interested to see how others do the logging thing. As I said, I'm interested to see how others do it, not in seeing other people bash how I do things to lose weight - we're all different and what might work for you might not work for me.

To be honest I HATE the logging and I won't be even doing it daily once my weight loss challenge is over (for the challenge I have to log daily) but will do it 2-3 times a week just to make sure I'm in the right range. Mostly I just eat smaller portions and healthy food.

Also, I've noticed people that are like "It's not just calories that matter, it's the macros too" - well, that's probably true to some extent but I got really tired of my diary always telling me I was over on my carbs and sodium so I got rid of all the macros so all that shows are my calories - I don't have the money (and sometimes not even the time) to buy healthy veggies and stuff and prepare them for like lunch the next day so I will bring pre-packaged salads that have more sodium than I probably need, but that's easier and cheaper. Or like when I told my coworker I have cereal and a banana most mornings for breakfast she's like: "My doctor told me that's one of the worst things you can have because there are so many carbs." - okay so eating lower carbs works for her, but for me it doesn't really seem to make that much of a difference - I still lose weight eating that every morning. Now I have tried cutting down on carbs a bit - like taking salad instead of sandwiches for lunch - but I still eat them.

So how do you log and what works for you?

Replies

• LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I will preface by saying you probably won't like my answer....

Open app =====> Add Foods =======> Hit my macros and calories for the day. All there is too it.

It's simply energy balance - you eat at a deficit you will lose weight, you eat above you will gain weight. I wouldn't advise dropping logging completely after you reach your goal weight. You'll just revert back to old habits and potentially put it back on. If you log consistently, atleast you have an awareness of what your intake is, and you can make adjustments accordingly. You don't need to eliminate any foods, just stay within your calorie and macro goals for the day.

Your prepackaged foods will end up being more expensive than if you were to prep your own food. It's not difficult to buy a bag of spinach, slice some veggies and possibly some meat. As far as not havign time is concerned, thats a cop out... There are people out there working multiple jobs, raising families etc. and they still find time. It's all about time management.

You breakfast is fine, and your co-worker is wrong. Again, energy balance. Stay below your TDEE and you'll lose, just make sure to eat enough.
  • c1turbo
    c1turbo Posts: 1
    Options
    I make the same meal for lunch every week.
    Instead of making daily meals. Make the same meal for the week.
    For lunch at work. I would make 1 cup brown rice, 10oz spinach/broccoli, 8oz of chicken.
    Switch it up the following week.

I also, make chili on some weeks using the slow cooker.
    Basically, eliminate the question from your mind, "what am I going to eat today?."
    Because its answered. For dinner I like making it fresh which I do the same exact meal.

I'm having trouble reducing my carbs as I'm around 45%. I'm just going to take out the brown rice.
    And do 10 oz spinach, 10oz broccoli, 8oz chicken.

Don't forget your protein shakes. And you can use fruits as your main source of carbs/sugars.
    Which I make only shakes with.
  • lorrm
    lorrm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    This is my first week logging so will have to see if this plans out but what I did was sat down on friday evening - did a plan of 3 meals & 2 snacks for each day - Sat to Fri. Put it into MFP, tweaked it a bit, did a shopping list & hit the shops & market on sat morning.

When I get in from work I prep dinner plus my breakfast, lunch & 2 snacks for the following day. It's the only way i see it working for me. I leave the house at 6am and get home about 7.30/8pm Mon- Fri. I used the "I don't have time" excuse lots before, not this time - I'm making time for me. I'm keeping a portion of mixed nuts & a tin of tuna in my drawer at work as an emergency working late meal.
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    I've been a member for about a week now, and haven't worked up the nerve to start logging my food yet lol. It's very overwhelming, when I didn't do it throughout my weight loss journey. But, the whole reason I joined mfp was so I could start tracking my macros-so I really need to get at it. I did start logging my exercise today-that counts for something, right? :)