7 factors of heart health, how do you measure up?

Options
2»

Replies

• jadedone
    jadedone Posts: 2,449 Member
    Options
    I've got 5 of 7. Working on #2. And as for #5? My blood pressure is generally 125/72 or similar. So I guess that is more like a .5. My doctor doesn't worry about it at all. (I haven't been tested in a few months). The bottom number is always under 80 and the top one ranges from around 120-125 unless I am super stressed. I am not worried about it at this juncture. It has been in this range for the past 10 years. I've already beat my mom, she was on blood pressure meds at 29. My dad at 35.

You inspired me to look at my glucose numbers. So weird....I have no idea what changed. 2 years ago it was at 95. I was around 15 pounds heavier than I am now and walking 3 miles a day during my daily commute. At the end of last year I was at 84, about 30 or 35 pounds heavier than I am now exercising occasionally, a few times a month. Apparently my body is really puzzled.

Headed to the doctor in about a week. We'll see what my BP numbers are and if they have improved.
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Here is the website from teh AHA where you can run through all your factors and get a score and reccomendtations at the end. Really fast and easy. My hubby got a terribly low score, and I can't seem to find a test I can't ace (j/k) I told him he better catch up quick.

http://mylifecheck.heart.org/Multitab.aspx?NavID=3
  • TrinneanArcher
    Options
    The heart health and the cardio exercise is essential to stay fit. Heart attacks and stroke attacks comes in an instant manner. So people should stay fit rather than they witness it. The good way is to keep your heart healthy. Here are some vitals tips for keeping you heart condition good: http://www.medstorerx.com/cardiovascular-health/how-to-have-a-good-and-healthy-heart.aspx . These should be followed on daily purpose to keep your heart health.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't be here if I was at 7/7 :p
  • whiteheaddg
    whiteheaddg Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I probably wouldn't be here if I was at 7/7 :p

Nope. I'm 7/7 easy - #2 and #4 due in large part to MFP.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,991 Member
    Options
    7/7. I don't know if 120/80 p/b would be considered low, but that is around where mine is.
  • SurfyFriend
    SurfyFriend Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    7/7
    Blood pressure 101/67 is pretty good I think, dont smoke, I barely eat animal or cooked fats so I can't imagine there could be much cholesterol. XD
  • momzeeee
    momzeeee Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    7/7 :)
  • deb3129
    deb3129 Posts: 1,294 Member
    Options
    6 out of 7, because I still need to lose some weight. But I will be 7 out of 7, someday!!
  • jdhoward_101
    jdhoward_101 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    6/7, i am indeed a smoker. But i can outrun a hell of a lot of the non-smokers i know so that doesn't really bother me!
  • tyresank
    tyresank Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I have been on a health journey for 20 mths, hit my goal weight about 8 wks ago and I am in maintenance now. I meet all 7 of them YEA ! My body fat is 22%.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    Not sure if this is the best forum for this...

So I was watching part 1 of the HBO series, The Weight if the Nation (really good so far) and was shocked by this:

There are 7 factors to Cardiovascular Health
    1. Non Smoker
    2. Maintaining a lean body mass
    3. Regular physical activity (150 min/week moderate or 75 min/week intense)
    4. Healthy diet
    5. Low blood pressure (less than 120/80)
    6. Total cholesterol less than 200
    7. No diabetes (Fasting glucose <100)

Only 1% of the population fits all 7 criteria!!!!

How do you fare?

I don't know what my body mass is, but my BMI is 25.3 and i've never had my cholesterol checked but I imagine it's fine. My blood pressure was 100/60 all through my pregnancies even. I don't smoke. I exercise loads. I'm not diabetic. I eat healthily. So, I reckon I have all 7, unless my body mass is not lean enough!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    3/7

-no clue if I'm maintaining lean body mass
    - no idea if my food consumption is considered "healthy"
    - I have HBP
    - no idea what my cholesterol numbers are other than "normal for me"

I don't smoke anymore. I get regular activity, though it can be debated as to whether it's moderate or intense. I don't have diabetes afaik. I love it when doctors never share specifics and get all pissy when you ask.
  • SmartAlec03211988
    SmartAlec03211988 Posts: 1,896 Member
    Options
    1. CHECK
    2. Defined as? I'm a little under 20% body fat.
    3. 270 hours per week of moderate activity. CHECK.
    4. CHECK.
    5. CHECK.
    6. Don't know my cholesterol.
    7. CHECK.

So 5.5/7 until I get my cholesterol checked and a more concrete definition of what "lean" means, 'cause I consider myself "lean" - I am aiming for lower, but I am not fat.
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    What does "maintaining a lean body mass" mean? Does that mean not losing lean body mass? I've been checking my body fat% while I've been losing weight, and I don't seem to be losing LBM.

Leaving aside that one, as I'm not sure what it means, I fare very well! I've always had low blood pressure, never had high cholesterol, don't smoke, active, etc. Unfortunately, I already have heart disease.
  • shannashannabobana
    shannashannabobana Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    "4. Healthy diet "

This one is sort of vague.

My total cholesterol was a little higher than 200 last year, but my HDL was very high as well which is protective.
  • msjames1999
    msjames1999 Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    5/7 but I am working toward 7/7.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,991 Member
    Options
    "4. Healthy diet "

This one is sort of vague.

My total cholesterol was a little higher than 200 last year, but my HDL was very high as well which is protective.
    Yes the cholesterol aspect of this list is founded in the theory that increased cholesterol causes heart disease, which as we/should know from more recent studies, that it doesn't. I'm under 200 barely, but my HDL is 105 and even if it was 250 I still wouldn't have any concern. Recent research has indicated that most heart attach victims have normal to low cholesterol.
  • Brizoeller
    Brizoeller Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    7 out of 7.....This just made me happy :)