Breaking up with sugar!

Options
Hi - I'm 54, been slightly obese most of my adult life and am finally breaking up with my long time 'friend" - Sugar.

Sugar has always been there to give me quick but short bursts of energy. But, now that I've gotten older, sugar is just draggin' me down and not giving me much back, emotionally, financially and nutritionally. My other sometime friend, Starch, is also messing up my life goals - so I'm also cutting out chips, popcorn, cupcakes and nachos!

Sugar and starch are not only bad influences but both will actually make a body emotionally and physically ill. Goodbye.

Breaking up, as they say, will be hard to do. But new and nutritionally supportive friends are already around, fruit, vegetables, whole grains and low-fat dairy.

Replies

• tobeslim618
    tobeslim618 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    You are so right. I am a sugar addict and got stuck AGAIN on this tiring wagon and want to get off. I am 58 so I know how you feel. We can do this!!!:explode:
  • paintedlady77
    paintedlady77 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    Congrats on the break up! You deserve better! :-)
  • slimm110
    slimm110 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    It's so hard!!! Sugar and starch have been stalking me! Every time I think I've evaded one or the other - BAM! Yesterday I had to
    have a honey bun, first time in like 3 months - I ate half, threw the other half out. In the past, I would've felt bad about wasting food. But, even while eating the bun, a thought hit me. Sugar/starch aren't real food! There's no fullness or satisfaction after eating them. Had a salad at lunch and felt SO much better.
  • lnxjenn
    lnxjenn Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sugar is my enemy as well! I am sure I intake way too much. I ahve been working on getting it under control! I found a book awhile back called Sugar Addict. They had different types of sugar addictions and how to help deal with each one. Natural sugars are fine, such as fruit and veggies and such! Processed really seem to affect me in bad ways! So, getting closer to eliminating processed sugars and foods from my diet...

Just beware some of the sugar substitutes! They can do bad things to you too.
  • 2ahealthyme
    2ahealthyme Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you! A few years ago, I went without sugar for several months. I felt SO much better during that time. I was amazed at how my taste buds changed. Everything tasted so much better. During that time, I couldn't eat at Arbys at all because they have so much sugar in their buns.

Then I went to a birthday party and had a bit of cake, then ate a bit of pie at my Moms house, and it was on... Sugar is evil I tell you, EVIL!
  • Brallen1969
    Brallen1969 Posts: 91
    Options
    I hear you, it took me about a month of hard going to finally be over the carb/sugar withdrawls. I actually did the Paleo diet for 30 days just to get off of processed sugars and carbs. It was the answer for me. Stay strong and feel free to add me of you want some encouragement.
  • slimm110
    slimm110 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Prevention magazine (April 2013 issue) has an article titled "The Truth about Sugar." Average person consumes like 47 CUBES of sugar a day! And that is just the average, some people consume more - read it here
    http://www.prevention.com/food/healthy-eating-tips/real-ways-eat-less-sugar
  • heatherrnw
    heatherrnw Posts: 10
    Options
    We are in the same boat. Sugar is, and has always been, my enemy! Though, thankfully, I crave it less the older I get and I find my pallet has refined it's self to the kinds of sugar I choose. No more eating a box of cheap chocolate covered cherries around Christmas time, instead there is a daily dose of a little dark chocolate square that is needed daily. I hope even that goes away one day!
  • tvmama
    tvmama Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm an absolute sugar addict; I've tried multiple times to stop eating sugar and I keep coming back to it. It makes me feel terrible, and so I'm back to quitting. I'm going to take a friend's advice and turn to fruit when i'm craving sweets, for now. Hopefully my palate will readjust quickly.