Am not losing weight. Why?

Options

Replies

• Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Extreme Fat Loss: 1160

why even bother with that? Why not just set a tolerable deficit that's much easier to maintain long term?

1160 = organs and bones crying out in pain.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    I'm eating 1200 cals or slightly less

Answer is right there, metabolisms crashed, eat more.

sighs...no, just no ...

this only occurs when you eat nothing for 72 hours or more and OP said he/she is netting1200 a day...
  • fitfocusedfamily
    fitfocusedfamily Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    OK... great feedback from everyone. Lots to think about. Thanks!

Tried the other calculator and got a similar outcome (and it used different language, not BMR or TDEE)...

Maintain: 1691
    Fat Loss: 1353
    Extreme Fat Loss: 1160

^^^This would be your NET calorie consumption. However, your NET calories should never fall below 1200 calories per day.

NET = Calories consumed - calories burned

Therefore, 1550 calories consumed - 350 calories burned = 1200 calories NET

You need to eat more, at least 1550 calories per day if your daily deficit goal is 350 calories.

Don't overthink it. Trust the process. Despite what your head may be telling you, try upping your calories to at least 1500 per day for no less than 4 weeks. If after 4 weeks, you are still at a plateu, re-evaluate.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    ok, thanks. Question... what do you mean by metabolism has crashed?

Yes, a calorie is a calorie no matter what. It is unlikely that your metabolism has crashed on 1200 calories per day, although people will try to tell you that on here all day long. Even when I was struggling with a borderline ED eating 700 calories per day, I lost weight consistently every week for 4 months. Some people have had success upping their calories and that may be the case for you, but considering your low energy expenditure, I'd say that too low of calories is likely not your problem. How often are you eating? Make sure you're continuing to eat every few hours from the time you wake up to the time you go to bed so that your body will keep burning as effectively as it cans. Your sodium is nowhere near too and neither is your fat. Like you said, a calorie is a calorie. If I were you, I would talk to an endocrinologist or other knowledgeable doctor to see what their opinion is. You could potentially have a thyroid problem, making it more difficult to lose weight.

All things considered, you said it's only been a month and a half, and at a 350 deficit, you'd be losing a half a pound per week at best. When I start dieting, I didn't lose weight for three weeks, and I was in a much larger deficit than you are (Not that I suggest this method AT ALL). Give it another month and then reassess is my best suggestion.

Most of your advice is good, but I'd just like to point out that the whole 'eating small meals throughout the day to lose more weight' idea has been dispelled. You can eat whenever you want and lose the same amount of weight... eating smaller meals throughout the day doesn't have an effect on your metabolism. You could have one giant meal right before bed and it would still be the same to your body.

http://ca.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_900/965_popular-metabolism-myths-part-3.html
    http://www.realsimple.com/health/nutrition-diet/weight-loss/busting-10-diet-myths-10000001700385/page2.html

I didn't mean you need to eat small meals. You can eat one big meal or whatever combination you prefer. I'm just suggesting that if you put off eating for hours and hours in the morning like I used to, it won't effect your metabolism as helpfully as eating when you wake up.

wait, so are you saying that eating in the morning helps your metabolism?
  • beyondjupiter
    beyondjupiter Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Curious how much you weigh, your height, and what your goal weight is? Those calculations seem awful low.
  • ChrisRS87
    ChrisRS87 Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    muscle weighs more than fat.
  • toxikon
    toxikon Posts: 2,384 Member
    Options
    ok, thanks. Question... what do you mean by metabolism has crashed?

Yes, a calorie is a calorie no matter what. It is unlikely that your metabolism has crashed on 1200 calories per day, although people will try to tell you that on here all day long. Even when I was struggling with a borderline ED eating 700 calories per day, I lost weight consistently every week for 4 months. Some people have had success upping their calories and that may be the case for you, but considering your low energy expenditure, I'd say that too low of calories is likely not your problem. How often are you eating? Make sure you're continuing to eat every few hours from the time you wake up to the time you go to bed so that your body will keep burning as effectively as it cans. Your sodium is nowhere near too and neither is your fat. Like you said, a calorie is a calorie. If I were you, I would talk to an endocrinologist or other knowledgeable doctor to see what their opinion is. You could potentially have a thyroid problem, making it more difficult to lose weight.

All things considered, you said it's only been a month and a half, and at a 350 deficit, you'd be losing a half a pound per week at best. When I start dieting, I didn't lose weight for three weeks, and I was in a much larger deficit than you are (Not that I suggest this method AT ALL). Give it another month and then reassess is my best suggestion.

Most of your advice is good, but I'd just like to point out that the whole 'eating small meals throughout the day to lose more weight' idea has been dispelled. You can eat whenever you want and lose the same amount of weight... eating smaller meals throughout the day doesn't have an effect on your metabolism. You could have one giant meal right before bed and it would still be the same to your body.

http://ca.askmen.com/sports/bodybuilding_900/965_popular-metabolism-myths-part-3.html
    http://www.realsimple.com/health/nutrition-diet/weight-loss/busting-10-diet-myths-10000001700385/page2.html

I didn't mean you need to eat small meals. You can eat one big meal or whatever combination you prefer. I'm just suggesting that if you put off eating for hours and hours in the morning like I used to, it won't effect your metabolism as helpfully as eating when you wake up.

A lot of people have success with intermittent fasting, where they usually don't eat their first meal until after noon or as late as suppertime. Eating in the morning doesn't 'rev' your metabolism. You really can eat whenever you want.
  • alyhuggan
    alyhuggan Posts: 717 Member
    Options

sighs...no, just no ...

this only occurs when you eat nothing for 72 hours or more and OP said he/she is netting1200 a day...

I went 3 months without a loss and someone here said to up my calories. I went from 1200 to 1500 calories and dropped 2 pounds in a week. Good luck......

Seen things like this posted around 500 times, obviously eating 1200 is a major problem, why don't you try it and see how you get on :)?
  • iamceleste
    iamceleste Posts: 14
    Options

sighs...no, just no ...

I went 3 months without a loss and someone here said to up my calories. I went from 1200 to 1500 calories and dropped 2 pounds in a week. Good luck......

Seen things like this posted around 500 times, obviously eating 1200 is a major problem, why don't you try it and see how you get on :)?

Yes, I can try. As I understand it, there are a lot of variables involved in weight loss (and a lot of opinions about what works and what doesn't), so to me, it's not obvious that it's a calorie count issue. It could be. It could be that and something else? Or several things. That's why I wanted to hear from everyone and see what your experiences are.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,583 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can try. As I understand it, there are a lot of variables involved in weight loss (and a lot of opinions about what works and what doesn't), so to me, it's not obvious that it's a calorie count issue. It could be. It could be that and something else? Or several things. That's why I wanted to hear from everyone and see what your experiences are.

cause it's the calorie thing.

don't eat less than your BMR. Period. Point blank. Done.
  • hfox9707
    hfox9707 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    my macro ratio is 40& carb 30% fat 30% protein
    calories I eat is 1800 per day as a deficit as my TDEE is 2300 calories to maintain I workout on avg 4-5 days a week with cardio and weights.
    Granted i haven't checked to see if I lost any weight yet as I have been starting out, so I am giving it time. I am normally going more by fat loss as my primary, weight secondary. Have you notices any inches coming off yet? I wouldn't take weight too seriously as it always doesn't mean fat loss. Get measured and check your body fat percentage.
  • iamceleste
    Options

cause it's the calorie thing.

don't eat less than your BMR. Period. Point blank. Done.

OK... does it matter what percent of those calories are carbs, fats and proteins?
  • trogalicious
    Options
    OK... does it matter what percent of those calories are carbs, fats and proteins?
    That's arguable. Some folks are 40/30/30, some do 50/30/20... but as far as losing weight, as long as you're in a caloric deficit, you should lose weight. You have to eat ENOUGH for it to work. If the deficit is too large, you'll still lose.. but you'll be back in here again, asking the same thing.
  • iamceleste
    Options
    That's arguable. Some folks are 40/30/30, some do 50/30/20... but as far as losing weight, as long as you're in a caloric deficit, you should lose weight. You have to eat ENOUGH for it to work. If the deficit is too large, you'll still lose.. but you'll be back in here again, asking the same thing.

ok.. so don't eat below BMR, but it doesn't really matter what the calories consist of in terms of fat, protein, carbs. I'll try to get my head around that, but I'm sure you can understand that it doesn't sound quite right.
  • iamceleste
    Options
    my macro ratio is 40& carb 30% fat 30% protein
    calories I eat is 1800 per day as a deficit as my TDEE is 2300 calories to maintain I workout on avg 4-5 days a week with cardio and weights.
    Granted i haven't checked to see if I lost any weight yet as I have been starting out, so I am giving it time. I am normally going more by fat loss as my primary, weight secondary. Have you notices any inches coming off yet? I wouldn't take weight too seriously as it always doesn't mean fat loss. Get measured and check your body fat percentage.

hi there. Wondering how you came up with that 40/30/30 breakdown? What is it based on?
  • trogalicious
    Options

ok.. so don't eat below BMR, but it doesn't really matter what the calories consist of in terms of fat, protein, carbs. I'll try to get my head around that, but I'm sure you can understand that it doesn't sound quite right.
    then just do 40/30/30 (the mfp default) and make sure you hit your protein goal
  • iamceleste
    Options
    How much do you have to lose? After I got within a few pounds of my goal, and within my healthy weight zone, my weight loss dropped precipitously, even though I was still meticulous about logging and hitting my goals.

When you don't have a lot to lose you lose slowly. I went from losing more than a pound a week for the first 6 months to maybe a pound a month for the second. However, I am still slowly losing and did, in fact, drop 2 pounds this week after a two month hiatus. Interestingly, my measurements continued going down even though my weight did not. Things got more solid and moved around and I looked better.

If you're frustrated, exercise and measure. There's only so much you can do.

Wow. Your story is inspiring. I didn't realize weight loss fluctuated like that. Congrats on sticking with it. Good for you.

And, for me, hopefully I can start exercising a little next month. Still recovering from back surgery, so not cleared yet for e exercise. But I'm encouraged by your story. Thank you.
  • michelle7673
    michelle7673 Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    OP, how long ago was your surgery? I'm wondering if you have unresolved inflammation/swelling....
  • iamceleste
    Options

then just do 40/30/30 (the mfp default) and make sure you hit your protein goal

So it sounds like there is some benefit to keeping all three at almost equal amounts. Wondering if you know why that is? There seem to be a variety of calculators (and info) on how to set calorie counts, but have not found anything yet about carbs/protein/fat.
  • iamceleste
    Options
    OP, how long ago was your surgery? I'm wondering if you have unresolved inflammation/swelling....

6 weeks ago. Will be cleared to start easy/slow exercise in 4 more weeks.