Motivation trouble

Options
I know that weight loss is a process.
In the past when I would loose weight I would see one or two lbs off a week, which is normal.
I'm on week 3 of the Jillian Michaels Body Revolution, and I haven't lost an ounce. I'm working hard, so why hasn't the scale budged even a pound?
It's just so frustrating, because I do eat right (feel free to look at my diary) Since I've stared, I've had one bad meal, so I honestly didn't feel it would be my diet.
Just.. Help :/

Replies

• sourmash1973
    sourmash1973 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to if you're eating enough. What is your current height, weight and activity level (how many days a week do you train)?
  • marydhastings
    marydhastings Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I work out following the fitness program. So 6 days a week for 30 minutes. Sometimes, I try to walk briskly on the beach or skateboard on my "rest days" According to my BMR and quizzes I've taken on the JillianMichaels site, I'm supposed to eat around 1300-1400 calories a day which I do :l
  • sourmash1973
    Options
    What's your weight and height?
  • marydhastings
    Options
    I'm 5'3" and about 165lbs
  • sigsiddy
    sigsiddy Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you are building muscle... which will burn more calories too! Hang in there~!
  • marydhastings
    Options
    Sounds like you are building muscle... which will burn more calories too! Hang in there~!
    I sure hope so :/
  • sourmash1973
    Options
    Using the calculator I rely on the most, your maintenance calories are 2185. It's this high because you are so active. For fat loss, you should be eating 1748 calories.
  • joannbartosh
    joannbartosh Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you are not losing weight, but maybe you are not doing enough of the exercise to burn more calories then you are eating. OR you might have a medical problem. Check with your doctor. Do remember that muscles weigh more than fat so maybe you are gaining muscles and that is why you don't see the difference. Go by your clothes and how they fit not by the scale. Just my advice.:smile:
  • marydhastings
    Options
    Using the calculator I rely on the most, your maintenance calories are 2185. It's this high because you are so active. For fat loss, you should be eating 1748 calories.

That just sounds like so much food to eat :S How did you get that number?
    I typically take my BMR which is 1,493, I multiply it by a scale of .5-2 (I go 1.5 because I'm active but not at an athletic level)
    Which is about 2239.5 and then add the deficit. I optimatly want to loose about 2 lbs a week, which is a 1000 calorie deficit each day (7000 calories less in a week) which is then about 1239. I bump that up to about 1300 or 1400 though So i'm already eating more based on what I have?
  • sourmash1973
    Options
    It's a calculator I've used for many years and normally spot on for me.

http://www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm

I just entered your stats and there you go. Try it out, if it doesn't work, you can go back to what you were doing. Just an idea. :) Good luck with your goals.
  • marydhastings
    Options
    Based on what I put on there it says 1320. Maybe I underestimate myself, but I only put 5 days a week physical exercise. not intense O-o
  • Labishop1020
    Labishop1020 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What calculator do you use for that if you don't mind me asking?
  • Labishop1020
    Labishop1020 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    haha NVM! I need to learn to read!
  • sourmash1973
    Options
    Based on what I put on there it says 1320. Maybe I underestimate myself, but I only put 5 days a week physical exercise. not intense O-o

Not sure what I can tell you from here. We'll see what others have to say.
  • sourmash1973
    Options
    haha NVM! I need to learn to read!

It does wonders. ;)
  • Salt_Sand_Sun
    Salt_Sand_Sun Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I'm with Sour.....

Based on your diary you are only eating about 1300 calories, but not eating any exercise calories. Do you use a HRM?

Most days you are burning about 300+ calories per workout. Which means you should be eating about 1600 cal a day so you NET 1300. Your body needs fuel.

I'd also sugges you up your protein. Protein will help your new muscles repair and grow - while buring more calories. Keep your carbs under 200 and your protein over 100. Drink more water - 5c a day is not near enough. At 165 you should be drinking about 80oz minimum!

Its a slow process. You did not gain over night and you will not lose over night. Stay strong and focused...You'll get results!!
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options
    First, you are not building muscle. If you are eating at a caloric deficit, your body is not really capable of creating new muscle mass.

Second, if you have not been working out regularly and you just began this program, you could be retaining water. That goes away as your muscles adjust.

At your height and weight, you should be eating about 1450 calories PLUS exercise calories in order to lose weight at a rate of about a pound per week, which is healthy and sustainable. To come up with this number, I took your sedentary TDEE and subtracted 20%.

I am an inch or so taller than you and started at your weight and ate about that number to lose weight, and it worked for me. Increase your calories by about 100 per week to reach your target goal. Give it a month and see how it works
  • marydhastings
    Options
    Alright. I'll give it a shot! Come to think of it, I don't typically eat the exercise calories. So that may just be the problem..
  • Buff2022
    Buff2022 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that calculator.
  • sourmash1973
    Options
    Thanks for sharing that calculator.

No problem